Singing out. . .

by John Doe 15 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My Grandma - she sang like a cat in heat

• luna2
    luna2

We had a sister at my first KH...Hoo Baby, what a crappy voice. She was very loud. Often she'd end up with the whole section sitting near her singing off key too. LOL

• thom
    thom

When I lived in Kentucky, we really sang out. Most of the cong did and some were very good. The ones that weren't were drowned out by how loud everyone sang.
    When I moved back here, people barely sing at all. At the first meeting I was way loud and had to learn to back off the volume. I don't sing all that well, but I usually can hit the proper notes.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The cong I was raised in went from half-black to mostly black. Brother O would lead us in song from the podium, hands waving and singing out but off-key. (You didn't want to stand next to him in field service or he'd knock you off the porch).

In the early 70's the Powers that Be allowed some of the Service Meeting to be locally planned. There were nights that we'd spend 15 to 30 minutes just "Singing Praises to Jehovah"! It was really enjoyable no matter how bad you sang, everyone sang out!

When I got married and moved to an all-white congregation, first thing I noticed is that the hall didn't look full, even though most of the seats were filled. Second thing - no one sang, and the first few times I overpowered everyone with my own off-key singing! Everyone else was mumbling behind their songbooks!

How sad.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Saying that bad singing is drowned out by good singing is a hallmark statement of the tone-deaf person. :-) he he. Really, it's like listening to someone drag their nails across a chalkboard. Trust me guys, you who sing off key are NOT drowned out.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Yeah, we had a former nun who thought she was at Vespas and would crow out the tunes, nasal and loud, ahead of the gang, and to the last note, then beyond, loudly! She would look around, and sneer at those not following her lead. The piano player was terrible, so it was one big wash.

Neon - great post! Loved Chapin's work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit