Toronto: Under Tornado Warning!!

by RAYZORBLADE 38 Replies latest social current

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I was on the phone with Big Tex, giving him a play-by-play of the overhead rotation and bizarre cloud formations. It was green-black at its worst

Yeah and every time Ray would describe something (okay now the cloud is moving counter clockwise), I'm saying "uh-oh". That was an intense 2 or 3 minutes Ray! I really thought you might actually have a funnel pop out of there the way you were talking. But I knew you were safe when you mentioned your birds started chirping again. They're a good indicator of trouble. I'm glad you're okay Ray.

Well, welcome to life in Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas. It's amazing how fast those things whip up and then vanish. I always find them kind of exhilirating. For some reason, I've never been afraid around weather like that.

Chris

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Some may go unseen as there's so much of this country that is uninhabited and sparsely populated. Even if they were more frequent, the population density of the country is far below that of the United States, therefor making sightings, few.

(((RB and all our other members in the Tornado Zone))) I'm glad you all are okay!!!

RB, I worked for a Dr. who was from Canada a few years back and we discussed the above topic quite often..........how much less population comparitively. He was big into comparing the differences between Canadians and Americans, all quite intellectually you know. LOL!

Terri

• morty
    morty

Ray,

I am glad to hear that you survived yesterdays storm...what a scary feeling...We thought for sure we were going to have something hit here yesterday as well...The warnings were everywhere..Woodstock got it bad as well...( I am not far from there at all)

I also remember the tornados that hit in 86 (87?) in Grandvally Ont, just North of Orangeville Ont. Our town was wiped out and every since, when there is a storm, I am the most paranoid person there is to be had...I am the first one watching the weather channel like a hawk and rounding up the kids to find out where they are and have them alert of the weather situation....They all do know the routine now...when the weather is bad, they come home and check on mama cause she is Big fraidy cat..lol ...

I totally get the green sky thing as well....

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

A few years ago, my sister went through a tornado. It actually made international news.

She was at a drive-in theatre, watching the movie "Twister" when one destroyed the screen. It was just a small one though. Not much damage other then that.

Kwin

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

BTW, that was in Niagara Falls area.

Kwin

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    She was at a drive-in theatre, watching the movie "Twister" when one destroyed the screen. It was just a small one though. Not much damage other then that.

What a coincidence. Just think, watching that movie, when one comes out and destroys the screen (it would've been really cool if that happened in that scene where the drive in theatre was destroyed too).

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey folks, for those interested, it was an F2 that touched down in and around the Fergus, Ontario region. That's near Guelph/Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. That'd be 120-140 kms. west of Toronto. (F2: 113-157mph winds)

Here's a link to the story: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1124565678327_17/?hub=TopStories

Much calmer today.

Morty. That tornado that hit Grand Valley, Ontario back on May 31, 1985. It was deadly. I remember the TV crews filming the centre of the town and surrounding areas. It was like a bomb went off. Old growth trees were mangled and twisted, houses...literally GONE! Cars were projectiles. My friend, she lived in Grand Valley. She was in the town for an appointment, finished up....headed home. Then all hell broke loose. That was an F4. Very powerful.

I'll try to find the info on the Fujita scale, how wind speeds are graded with tornadoes.

Here it is, I found it. The Fujita Scale link:
    http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/oakfield/Fscale.htm

• delilah
    delilah

I was driving just ahead of the 1985 tornado. I was coming from Barrie, Ontario, going to Hamilton, and as soon as I got to Hamilton, about 30 mins later, the hydro went out at my brother's place. We then heard about the tornado that went throughGrand Valley, and hit places, like Barrie.....that was a little too close for comfort....we seemed to miss most of the high winds yesterday here. But it was quite the storm. I'm glad you all are all right....

Delilah

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ray asked for my reminisces of the 1987 tornado (F4) here in Edmonton. Yes, I was here that day. I hadn't seen great sheets of rain and flooding like that since I was a little girl in the West Indies. Only when I headed home that I and my fellow bus passengers realized that something terrible had happened. All the streets were flooded. The traffic lights flashed red. Our driver struggled to get us through the stalled traffic and the great lakes of water flooding the roads. I saw children frolicking in the instant lakes. All I wanted to do was hurry to the sitters and pick up my babies. The worst we suffered besides the terror (we anxiously listened to radio reports of a second cell on it's way) were a few lost shingles. The people of Evergreen Trailer Park were not so fortunate.

http://datalib.library.ualberta.ca/tornado/

It's a rare day in Edmonton when we get the weather conditions for a tornado, but I'll never forget them. I'll never forget the green sky, the black swirling clouds. In 2000, my hubby and I were passing by when the Pine Lake tornado (F3) struck, though we didn't know it at the time. I commented to my hubby that it looked like a killer cloud. It was. When we saw emergency vehicles rushing in the direction of Pine Lake shortly after, great big emergency vehicles rushing down the highway, lights flashing, towing pontoon boats, I never even made the connection.

http://www.ontariostorms.com/2000/jul/14/

Edmontonians are great for rallying support after a disaster. Local relief agencies were flooded with clothing and other items in the days that followed. Our phone system was flooded too, by relatives around the world fearing the worst. It took my Aunt three days to get through, she was frantic. The people of Evergreen Trailer Park haven't forgotten their neighbours. A memorial has been erected in their memory, Pillars of Love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit