which JEHOVAH'S WITNESS SCARE TACTICS kept you from leaving?

by Ms. Whip 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

Meeting Jehovah's Witnesses at your door was a fresh, new experience. They were nice, friendly and smiled real big. They offered you a group of instant friends and the possibility of being perfect and never dying. Along with your Bible Study you received an instant life. People who loved you and a purpose for living. You didn't have to think anymore, everything was all planned out for you. It's a beautiful spiritual paradise now and an even more grand paradise in the future where everyone and everything is wonderful. You just have to believe and the rest is taken care of.

It sounds too good to be true?

It is.

Once you are enticed by all the niceties (a few weeks, months, years in), then the trap is set. You are told, now that you believe (wish for, hope, want, need) in the paradise, there are a few things you have to give up. Your church, your worldly family (which could include your husband, wife, children, mother, father, brother, sister et al.), your career, your hobbies, your wardrobe, your holidays, your love life, your music, your thoughts, your aspirations, your money, your time, your life.

ok, so you want the paradise really, really bad...and giving up all those things mentioned doesn't seem that much to exchange for it. Now you are baptized. Now you are in the group. You have everything, and they have you.

Now the question is...how do they keep you?

Easy.

They got you to give up all you had in exchange for what they offered. Now they threaten to take it all away.

If you do not do everything they tell you, in the exact way they say...you will not be able to live in paradise.

PLUS, everything we have given you...your church, your new family, your new life will be gone as well. You will end up a poor, lonely person with an empty, useless life and nothing to look forward to only death in disgrace.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

A semi-simplistic look at a complex issue.

Since I was raised as a witness...my scenario was not exactly like the one pictured. However the tactics that were used to keep me a witness were the same. I was told that Jehovah watched everything I did. That if I did anything wrong, I would be displeasing Jehovah. I would displease my family and the entire congregation. I would succumb to Satan and be sucked into his world. I would die a horrible, disgraceful death at Armageddon AND no one would talk to me.

So, I stayed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Jehovah's Witnesses use blatant and subtle "scare tactics" to keep their members. On a daily, weekly, monthly basis they are constantly reminded through talks, articles and graphic pictures what will happen if their members to not comply, conform and submit. If you are, were or are considering being a Jehovah's Witness...what "scare tactics" do you see working on you?

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I believed it all. I guess because they told me that if i didnt i would be disappointing Jehovah.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

raised in the truth is probably worse, you loose more.

First of all all your family is in. So leaving them would maybe mean losing a lot of support, friendship etc, from your family. It could mean losing your spouse. Loosing your friends; as grown up in the truth, all your friends should be dubs.

Then there is the what would people say.

Daily: family
    weekly: if you forget a meeting
    montly: when you hand in your FS report
    yearly: memorial, conventions etc.

The other tactics did not mean much to me. promises about paradise etc... The family, friends issue kept me from leaving.

p.s. I did not leave still in the borg, but not a drone....

Danny

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Gotta be honest Ms Whip, I believed it until the day that article on the generation came out in the nineties. Never stepped in a hall again as I simply didn't believe any more. Scare tactics don't work for me.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

I don't like the idea of being BIRD FOOD!!!!

Well, I am the sort of person who in the past placed trust in things, and in the end had my trust broken, it happened to me several times. Now I struggle to completely trust in something completely, I will never let my guard down again like I used to, i don't let myself get to deep into things.

So if i was to become a Jehovah's Witness and placed my trust, and fully trusted the organisation, I would be afraid to get kicked out, if I did I would emotionally fall apart, and may never trust again.......

I would be one of those Witnesses, if cornered and had my religion proved wrong, I would be totally ruined.

Evanescence

• luna2
    luna2

The one that worked on me was the Paradise/living forever carrot. I fell for their bunk hook, line and sinker. Being a person who'd been conditioned all my live to believe that when something wasn't working or didn't seem right that it must be my fault, I spent years trying to figure out what was wrong with me and blaming myself that I wasn't more "whole souled".

Believe it or not, my main motivation was my kids...I felt it was my duty as a Mom to get the best for them....I thought the "truth" was it and the living forever thing was the best I could do for them. I thought that if I followed the great and powerful (oh, and Jah-inspired) FDS's instructions on child-rearing, all would turn out well. Big heartache and much stress when my kids first got in trouble (associating with other kids in the congo), and then made it clear that being a witness wasn't what they would choose. After all the problems we had, I backed off big time on requiring them to associate with other witnoid kids as that was a proven loser of an idea. My youngest got to play sports in highschool and have girlfriends. I felt torn, but I could see that was working better than forcing him into the dub mold ever did.

With my boys uninterested and therefore ineligible for citizenship in the "new system", my confidence in the WTS's good advice from Jehoover at zero, and creeping depression, it was only a matter of time before I decided that living now and trying to get my head together was a better course than sticking with the same old routine. I still thought it was the truth (don't ask me why), but I finally didn't care any more.

After a few years of inactivity, was pretty sure I'd never go back and had resigned myself to being birdfood like the rest of the non-dubs at Armegeddon. Didn't seem much point in living, though, when none of my family would be there. What a relief to finally wake up and see that it was all fiction.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    The other tactics did not mean much to me. promises about paradise etc... The family, friends issue kept me from leaving.

p.s. I did not leave still in the borg, but not a drone....

Danny

Hi Danny,

it's interesting you are still a witness. how do you do it? Sorry haven't read about your life yet.

since the promise of paradise doesn't mean anything to you...you must not believe the doctrine. so, fear of losing your family keeps you a witness? what if that fear was gone and your family would love you no matter what. would you stay a witness?

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    I don't like the idea of being BIRD FOOD!!!!

hi E,

yeah, i never wanted the birds to eat the eyeballs out of my carcass either. yikes!

Well, I am the sort of person who in the past placed trust in things, and in the end had my trust broken

that's a real big one. i was taught not to trust anyone that wasn't a witness. now i don't trust anyone who is. kinda limits my "people i can trust" list.

• Maverick
    Maverick

As part of the WTS programming they install an exit phobia and reinforce this unreasonable fear often in their holy watchtower rags. The phobia goes something like this, " We are God's Organization on Earth, if you ever leave us it is the same as leaving God and everything bad that happens to you after that is God punishing you and in the end God will kill you!"

To be truly free of the Borg a WTS drone must actively uninstall this bit of programming or they will always have this nagging fear just under the surface and will never have peace of mind.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ok I do admit one fear tactic that did work and you guys reminded me. Trust. All those years of indoctrination about evil worldly people had my trust count at zero. Didn't stop me from leaving but had me on the back foot with friendship for years. Had aquantances but not real pals. Same with girlfriends. I couldn't open up to love and trust for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit