Everything I Ever Needed To Know... I learned at the Kingdom Hall

by POs Son 16 Replies latest jw friends

• POs Son
    POs Son

Today my mother, a devoted JW of 40+ years, expalined to me that studying the Watchtower publications "taught her" how to study! She went on to describe how the weekly Watchtower Study taught her how to truly study, by underlining the most important part of the paragraph. Funny, I do not recall that as the primary method of study for the rest of the world - most of the textbooks I have read did not have a numbered set of questions at the end of each paragraph.

1a. Who explained to the author of this text explained how being a JW helped her with study habits? 1b. How can you apply this skill to your ministry? 1c. When did Jesus use a highlighter?

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    Today my mother, a devoted JW of 40+ years, expalined to me that studying the Watchtower publications "taught her" how to study! She went on to describe how the weekly Watchtower Study taught her how to truly study, by underlining the most important part of the paragraph. Funny, I do not recall that as the primary method of study for the rest of the world - most of the textbooks I have read did not have a numbered set of questions at the end of each paragraph.

1a. Who explained to the author of this text explained how being a JW helped her with study habits? 1b. How can you apply this skill to your ministry? 1c. When did Jesus use a highlighter?

1b. - I can't, cause I don't do it anymore 1c. - Right after he went and picked out the best sandals for door to door work.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Funny, I do not recall that as the primary method of study for the rest of the world - most of the textbooks I have read did not have a numbered set of questions at the end of each paragraph.

That's because they are written in a manner to develop your thinking and reasoning skills.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Real world studying is much different than what the JWs do. The watchtower spoon feeds them, and makes it easy by adding questions at the bottom of each page. Today, if I go on a 5 day course the text book is, on average, about 800 pages. No questions for each paragraph. Plenty of practical hands-on exercises to perform. No simple one word answers like "Jehovah???". And often the course materials still don't address some of the exam topics, so outside research is necessary.

If I relied on Watchtower style studying I'd be unemployed.

W

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I hate to say it but my first impression when the WT was read and the question was asked reminded me of third grade reading comprehension! Very simple. Read the paragraph and answer the question as to what you read! What is sad is that I saw some grown men struggle with this.

I guess everybody's reading comprehension is not equal.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Didn't they also say that a person could get the equivalent of a college education just by reading the awake magazine regularly?

W

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Didn't they also say that a person could get the equivalent of a college education just by reading the awake magazine regularly?

Yup..... and that you didn't need to read any 'secular' magazines, because the Awake was so informative on every subject! I always wondered how the authors became so 'informed' if they didn't read 'secular' magazines themselves. Hmmmmmm......

GGG

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

rebel rebel rebel....they made it far too easy. The paragraph would be about a big fat red dog. The questions would read: 1a.... What colour was the dog? 1b, Sincere christians saw details that christiandom had over looked, what were they (explain),,,,,,,,

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yeah, I know. The questions at the end of the paragraph are techniques to use with people who are either not paying attention or have a very low reading level.

• startingover
    startingover

In some religions they chant

Dubs just raise their hands and rearrange the words in the paragraph several times a week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit