ITHINKISEE Update: Some more conversation (and a new update from original)

by ithinkisee 37 Replies latest members private

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

ITIS: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences during such a difficult time. During my own "wrestling" with my faith, I found prayer to be so reassuring - I'd ask for guidance before, during, and after studying *anything* and felt that I was guided to the conclusions I drew. Constant prayer for guidance, correction, and loving discipline, asking to be drawn closer to God during and after the process, gave me confidence in the understanding I gained as I lost my spiritual blindness. "She started crying again and said she felt like she was turning her back on Jehovah." I keep seeing this statement in your posts. I wonder if it would help for the two of you to consider John 4:23,24 together, emphasizing that what you both are doing isn't to draw away from God, but to make sure your worship is based on "spirit and truth." I also found Romans 12:1,2,9 personally helpful, as rendering "sacred service" requires the use of one's "power of reason" and our love for God and one another should be "without hypocrisy", which includes 'abhoring what is wicked' - and lying and power plays would certainly qualify.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    I spent many nights crying that I was going to lose my wife and kids for so long.

Brother I can relate to that fear!

She really seems more happy being close to you than the WT. Jehovah and the bible is a bonus. You keep "taking the lead" as you have and you'll keep your family - (assuming some snot nosed play-by-the-book elder doesn't get involved) - and soon you'll be "Father Knows Best" to her.

We are enjoying the detailed posts.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

This sounds so good! I'm really happy for you!

Kwin

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Thanks Ingenious ... those are good scriptures.

The other scripture I keep forgetting to show her is this:

(1 John 4:1) 4 Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

-ithinkisee

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Good luck it all you have a tough road ahead (like I know). Does she know you come on here. That could really stuff up all your good work.

Sorry if that has already been covered.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I think you are so brave and I have really enjoyed being able to share your journey so far. Thank you.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

ITIS,

Galatians is a great read. I agree - it quickly states in the first chapter where your faith should be placed. I just read it for the second time this past summer and it still blows me away that Witnesses can read that and NOT realize how wrong they are! Blows me away.

I'll also second the vote on The Message translation. Honestly, it's one of my favorites. You can find a little one at the bookstore for around $25...the nicer large one at $50 or so. I haven't looked at a second hand book store yet, so you might luck out at a Half Price Books or something. I use NIV for most everyday reading, but The Message is great for studying letters. Worded much more personally and up to date.

Oh...several years ago, while shopping for some door prizes for an Apostofest, I was at a Half Price Books and found a copy of the New World Translation shelved in the "Religious Fiction" section. LOL!

Andi

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I said that it is really hard with the Society's books because they rarely tell you where they quote from. They quote things "anonymously" quite often. Sometimes I take quotes from the literature and do a Google search on it and can actually find the newspaper article it comes from. I told her that I conservatively estimate that 85-90% of the time there is something the Society is hiding.

I remember reading somewhere that one quote about earthquakes, that the Awake said was from Der Speigel, a German newspaper. When it was researched, it turns out Der Speigel was quoting the Awake. Now how honest is that???

I think the NIV is a really good translation to use. When I was pioneering, I kept one in my bookbag and used it in field service, mainly in neighborhoods I knew were Christian. I was amazed at how good it was, and how it had a different way of rendering many passages, changing the meanings we were used to in the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit