My best friend - Helping him wake up?

by Garrett 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Garrett
    Garrett

Hello everyone :)

So, first off, after my learning TTATT I've been feeling SO MUCH better! My depression is gone, I'm so much more motivated, I can do everything I've always wanted to do but was forbidden from doing.

Now, my best friend is still in, however, I feel that he may have a chance at waking up. You see, back when I was still a witness, we used to talk and used to discuss all the issues we had with our congregation. He's 37 I believe and quite open-minded. I feel bad because when I left, I decided to not speak to anyone, so I ignored his phone calls and text messages.

I feel like when I'm ready, I'm going to email him and try my best to help him wake up. I don't care if he doesn't, ends up going to the elders and tells them I'm an apostate, but I need to try. Does anyone have any articles similar to the child sex coverups, caleb videos, witnessing cart, etc that I could share?

Perhaps some tips on how to go about doing this?

• smiddy
    smiddy

JW`s like to boast about how more moral and upright they are compared to "worldly" people .

Google crimes committed by Jehovah Witnesses you may be surprised .

smiddy

• Divergent
    Divergent
    DON'T tell them you are an "apostate". Just fade quietly
  • wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

I faded, but was always open about the reason. No personal grudges, no secret sin…just issues with the Watchtower. I don’t volunteer “to spill my issues” but I don’t refuse to share them either. I always joked about stuff like donation money, counting time, the rising number of anointed and the ever-stretching generation. Now JW.ORG is really cooperating. Recently I’ve commented on convention trinkets, the Mexican wave, JW.ORG’s Broadway effort and Sam’s new Rolex for JW.TV. I was thrilled when they did the Bethel “Happy” video (told some there was a positive side to dad having Alzheimer’s. He’s unable to grasp the Watchtower’s desperation). Carts have been good (told one JW “better dress well and not bring a coffee cup” so passerby’s don’t mistake you for a homeless person). Now they’re even better to mock ‘cause they “have a heart” and ‘sing’. I’ve tried Bible argument and humor. Humor is definitely more effective.

Although some snubbed me completely, many are very pleasant when I meet them. I have discovered over time that some stay smiling with the hope of enticing me back. Others however, like myself, have big problems with the organization, are even open to talking or joking about them, but have managed to separate the organization from Jehovah. One commented recently “If it wasn’t for Jehovah I don’t think I’d still be a JW.”

So go for it. Tell your friend you miss him. And see where it goes. Don’t renew your friendship with the goal of “taking him out” and things may work out.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    Dude ! ! Maybe he has seen you around, all happy n stuff.....and wants to know where your gettin it from.....dont hide...divide ! !
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Be careful if you want to keep your friend. It is quite possible that your would be branded apostate. Are other family members and support people in the borg with you?

just asking

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I would proceed carefully and slowly, forget the that TTATT part, are you DF'd or just faded? I would start this way , apologize implicitly for ignoring him. Without making it about "The Truth" make it about being a good person. Doing the right thing, nothing about JW's. Repair the friendship.

Once you get there you guys can start easing into some discussions, I've been there and was successful. Just be a friend. And be a good person, he will see you stand out from the JW @$$Holes

• Ding
    Ding
    My advice is to listen far more than you talk. Find out what your friend is thinking and feeling. Give him a safe place to express his own doubts and frustrations.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I completely agree...don't make it a huge deal about the religion, just say you are sorry, you were going through a hard time and you miss him. Keep it lighthearted, but subtly suggest you are much happier without the meetings etc.

by the way, I remember the state you were in when you wrote before, and I'm really glad you're doing better.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I tried to awaken my best friend. I didn't even get anywhere close. He blew up and that was that. It just created a world of pain that has taken a long time to heal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit