General Quotes we like.

by Rayvin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

The proverb warns that 'You should not bite the hand that feeds you.' But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself.

-Thomas Szasz

The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. -Walter Bagehot

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you’d have preferred to talk.

-Doug Larson

Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?

-Sai Baba

The fly cannot be driven away by getting angry at it.

-African proverb

It’s the things in common that make relationships enjoyable, but it’s the little differences that make them interesting.

-Todd Ruthman

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

-Dr. Seuss

Worrying about something that may never happen is like paying interest on money you may never borrow.

-Unknown

Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it. -Maimonides

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing—that's why we recommend it daily.

-Zig Ziglar

• rebel8
  • shera
    shera
    Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?

Good one and one I try to live by.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King Jr.

• daystar
    daystar

The most popularly quoted part of this is "This above all: to thine own self be true". However, the rest contains some lovely gems as well:

To Thine Own Self Be True
    Yet here, Laertes! Aboard, aboard for shame! The wind sits in the shoulder of your sail, And you are stay'd for. There ... my blessing with thee! And these few precepts in thy memory Look thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue, Nor any unproportion'd thought his act. Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar. Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel; But do not dull thy palm with entertainment Of each new-hatch'd, unfledg’d comrade. Beware Of entrance to a quarrel but, being in, Bear't that th' opposed may beware of thee. Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice; Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgement. Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy; For the apparel oft proclaims the man; And they in France of the best rank and station Are of a most select and generous chief in that. Neither a borrower, nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry. This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. Farewell; my blessing season this in thee! -- William Shakespeare
  • Rayvin
    Rayvin

I like the part that says -Neither a borrower nor lender be

Most people feel that they are bieng kind in doing so but it takes away from the other person learning a lesson if you lend them $ for example. And I dont care for borrowing since it makes me feel sad that I am in that much of a need and try not to get there and if there already it makes me work harder to get out of it w/ out borrowing.

I like this quote since I have a problem putting things back where they belong:

If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?

-Stephen King

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

"Your Honor, I will show first, that my client never borrowed the Ming vase from the plaintiff; second, that he returned the vase in perfect condition; and third, that the crack was already present when he borrowed it."

• Gopher
    Gopher

"There is no security on this earth. Only opportunity...."

-- General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep" (Prospero, The Tempest - Shakespeare)

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I'm not a Christian but some of the churches in my area have some funny quotes. I passed one this morning that said: "Warning: Exposure to the son will prevent burning."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit