Which bible quotes did you hate most?

by DannyBloem 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Probably we all had bible quotes (mostly out of context) used against us.

Which of these quotes did you have most?

For me:
    Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. (Used when i studied, etc, etc)

Danny

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Deut 25:11-12 Should a wife, in defense of her husband, accidentally grab the privates of the man her husband is fighting with, her hand must be cut off. "Thine eye must show no pity"

Duet. 23:1 If a man's private parts have been crushed or cut off, [a] he cannot fully belong to the LORD's people.

I always thought these two were pretty stupid.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Bad associations spoil useful habits.

It go applied to everything - literally. No wonder I'm half recluse now.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Evilforce - I think a lot of those Deut scriptures were way to harsh & just a tad crazified. The one I'm think of (God only knows the ch & vs) is when a man rapes (well they didn't use the word rape "forceable lies down with...) a woman, she has to consent to be his wife...

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ah, more Duet. fun:

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

But Loubelle...HEY...he did have to pay 50 silver pieces. That's harsh!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

(Very loosely paraphrased, but how it sounded to me) was Zeph 2:2........Work your butt off and do everything you can to be counted worthy and just maybe you'll be considered for the "prize".

How encouraging was that? I had no trouble coming up with an answer to this question----this scripture always irritated me.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

EF,

Deut 25:11-12 Should a wife, in defense of her husband, accidentally grab the privates of the man her husband is fighting with, her hand must be cut off. "Thine eye must show no pity"

Duet. 23:1 If a man's private parts have been crushed or cut off, [a] he cannot fully belong to the LORD's people.

yes there are many 'gems' in deut. It is a stupid woman unfriendly book, to put it very mildly.
    A book normal for it's time, the only problem is that people still use it today....

p.s. i did mean more that were used agains us personally. hmm, well I hope these quoted were not used against you.....

Danny

• luna2
    luna2

I'll go with Crumpet's quote. I can't even type it, I hate it so much. It was used against me, against my sons, and against the congregation at large constantly. More encouragement to avoid all contact with the "world" and even to isolate those in the congregation that weren't spiritually good enough.

The other Bible quote I dislike is "All scripture is inspired...". Please. On the few occasions I had a question and was dumb enough to ask it...that one got trotted out.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

"children, obey your parents in everything, that's what the lord likes..."

when i was a little boy, my father sent me to bring the cooking spoon and lay down so he can hit me... i had to bring the spoon and i had to lay down, because that's what the lord likes... f* you, lord.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

how about God loves a cheerful giver

- I wish I'd learnt a little more about receiving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit