BERRY LAWSUIT EVALUATED

by MadApostate 133 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

It would seem that unless the WTBTS can prove to a jury that they're above the law, then what the elders did in not reporting child abuse in a state which mandates reporting is an action breaking a state law.

I know that elders culpability comes into play - which it would have to be proven that they're under the direction of the WTBTS as it's agents. I know of no law that says that a church is above the law. It has defined ways to respond to laws - but definitely not above law.

But if the state law says report - and there was no report made - then the law was broken, and a child paid the consequences. As for liability, if persons in responsible positions broke the law, children continued to be raped with knowledge of responsible persons, then I would question whether there was liability towards the law-breaking responsible persons.

I would think common sense would come into play here - but then we're talking the USA Court Systems, so that's debatable also, eh?

This was never an issue in the Rees case, to my knowledge.

Guess this is a "wait and see" issue for those of us who aren't participants.

waiting

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad Apostate,

I am sorry you have not been able to get me to understand the "reporting of abuse" part of the Berry case Mad A.

I will be honest with you and as I have said before I have not reached any conclusion on the Berry case but I am interested in looking into what you and others are saying about this case.

Thus, I look to you for help, seeing you were interested in this from the beginning. If you answer my below questions, you may be able to help me understand this a lot better.

You have informed the board (based on Marquay et. al v. Eno et.al)that the Berry case is dead in the water with respect to "COUNT 1 - (Negligence)" and "COUNT III in the - Statutory Failure To Report Suspected Child Abuse" in Berry's claim. Part of this Marquay case dealt with other teachers (third parties just like the elders) who did not report the abuse. I believe your quote from Marquay on third parties not reporting was:

We hold that the reporting statute does not support a private right of action for its violation because we find no express or implied legislative intent to create such civil liability. First, we note that where the legislature has intended that civil liability flow from the violation of a statute, it has often so provided. See, e.g., RSA 358-A:10 (1984) (deceptive trade practices). Where, as here, civil liability for a statutory violation would represent an abrupt and sweeping departure from a general common law rule of nonliability, we would expect that if the legislature, which is presumed to recognize the common law, see Niemi v. Railroad, 87 N.H. 1, 9-10, 173 A. 361, 366 (1934), intended to impose civil liability it would expressly so provide. Here there was no expressed intent. Nor can we divine any implied intent. The reporting statute was originally enacted in 1965, applying only to physicians. Laws 1965, 193:1. It was amended in 1971 to extend the reporting requirement to all persons and to provide a $200 fine for its violation. Laws 1971, 531:2. In 1973, the penalty section was amended to provide that a violation would constitute a misdemeanor. Laws 1973, 532:8. Despite specific amendment of the penalty section, nothing in the legislative history suggests that civil liability was contemplated, let alone intended. In sum, considering that imposition of civil liability for all reporting violations would represent a sharp break from the common law and neither the statute nor the legislative history directly reveal any such intent, we are unwilling to say that violation of the child abuse reporting statute supports a private right of action. Accord Fischer v. Metcalf, 543 So.2d 785 (Fla.Dist.Ct.App.1989) (finding no cause of action under similar Florida reporting statute); Kansas State Bank & Tr. Co. v. Specialized Transportation Services, Inc., 249 Kan. 348, 819 P.2d 587 (1991) (no cause of action under Kansas reporting statute).
    We now turn to the negligence per se question, considering the relevance of the reporting statute in cases where a common law cause of action exists based on an alleged failure to exercise a recognized duty of reasonable supervision. As discussed previously, use of a statute to establish the standard of care is limited to situations where a common law cause of action exists,...
    (End Quote)

For the record, the last paragraph of your quote is a partial quote of a paragraph. Here is the full quote and note what I have bolded and underlined is what I would like you to think about and what is in italics is from your above quote.

We now turn to the negligence per se question, considering the relevance of the reporting statute in cases where a common law cause of action exists based on an alleged failure to exercise a recognized duty of reasonable supervision. As discussed previously, use of a statute to establish the standard of care is limited to situations where a common law cause of action exists, and then, only if the statute is "applicable." Whether a statutory standard is applicable depends, in part, on whether the type of duty to which the statute speaks is similar to the type of duty on which the cause of action is based. See Island Shores, 136 N.H. at 307, 615 A.2d at 633; Bob Godfrey Pontiac, 630 P.2d at 844-45. Because the duty to which the statute speaks--reporting of abuse--is considerably different from the duty on which the cause of action is based--supervision of students--we hold that a violation of the reporting statute does not constitute negligence per se in an action based on inadequate supervision of a student.

1) My questions are does the court say you can use a statutory standard to show negligence per se?

2) Did the court tell the plaintiff that they couldn’t use the "statutory standard" to show negligence per se because their "claim" was talking to an action based on improper supervision and not failure to report?

3) If the plaintiffs’ claim did speak in an action based on "failure to report" do you think the court would have agreed that there was "negligence per se" because the type of duty to which the statute speaks is similar to the type of duty on which the cause of action is based?

4) If yes, do you think the Berry case’s "claim of action" speaks to the type of duty (failure to report) which the statute speaks too and thus, Berry can go forward with negligence per se?

Now obviously you may answer that my questions are mute because there is no "common law duty". And, thus, the plantiff cannot maintain a "negligence action". I believe this was true for Marquay with respect to "negligent supervision" and is what you picked up on.

However, later on in the Marquay v. Eno, Part II. Common Law Causes of Action; B. Duties Based on Relationship to Abusing Employees, last paragraph, I read the following:

Finally, we consider the negligence per se question--i.e., whether the reporting requirement of RSA 169-C:29 should be engrafted onto the standard of care in an action based on negligent hiring or retention. While we held in section I that the reporting statute is not applicable in an action based on negligent supervision, we hold that it is applicable in a negligent hiring or retention action. Accordingly, under these circumstances, failure to report abuse in accordance with the statute could give rise to liability, provided the plaintiff can show that reporting would have prevented the subsequent abuse.

Is the court saying that this particular circumstance (where the school board hired and kept someone they should not have) could give rise to the reporting statute being applicable in an action?

If that is the case could there be a particular circumstance that is something similar in Berry to help her. For example could Berry show how elders are given very little training and how they are pciked for their job? What if Berry could prove that if the elders, who became "agents" by the WTS, actually reported the abuse then it would have prevented subsequent abuse?

And if Berry can do the above, does she only have to meet the standard found in the statute and not the "reasonable person standard of duty" to show negligence per se?

Again Mad Apostate, I think I understand what you are getting at in your posts and I am sorry I am not the best at following along. However, I hope you can answer these questions so I can truly understand this issue.

Oh, I know you have the Marqau .v case and has been posted in its entirety on this thread but here is the url incase you need it

( http://www.edlaw.fplc.edu/Text/Library/case-marquay.html

hawk (And again thanks for making me think)

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

I just "lost" a lengthy reply when I attempted to post. Its just as well. The simple answer to your entire post is:

NO COMMON LAW DUTY EQUALS NO NEGLIGENCE PER SE.

Both the REES and the MARQUAY Opinions explain why there is no CLD under "ordinary negligence" theory. Both explain that a "special relationship" must exist to create ANY duty of care. REES and BERRY plead such in the form of "fiduciary duty". REES lost because his pleading was insufficient. BERRY's pleading is better, but there is little chance of proving such in the factual circumstances where the abuser was a parent, and the other parent could have easily ignored poor advice and reported the abuse herself. BERRYS would have to convince the Courts that the relationship between the plaintiffs and the BOE somehow superceded the mother-daughter parental relationship. GOOD LUCK in convincing the Courts of that when a church-member relationship is consistently labeled "voluntary" by the same courts.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hi Mad A.

I am starting to come around and see what you are saying. And sorry for taking so long but I am trying to understand all of this if that is okay with you?

So the key is to find the "common law duty". Right?

Berry must find (either through a FD relationship or other, [which you say is unlikely]) a "common law duty".

If Berry finds a "common law duty" (courts have said unlikely according to you), she could then use, in an action of failure to report, sections 29 and 32 in the New Hamphire reporting abuse statute to establish the "standard of care" the elders would have to meet instead of having to meet the tougher "reasonable person standard"? Did I get that right?

And again assuming Berry finds that difficult "CLD", it be easier to prove the elders did not meet the "standard" in sections 29 and 32 of the statute and then there would be negligence per se in an action of failure to report as long as Berry proved that the failure to report allowed the abuse to continue? Did I get that right?

So this whole thing is going to boil down to the "special relationship" (or FD) question or if there is another "CLD". The question seems to be, are the elders in a "superior" position to Berry's parents in a "volunary organization"?. Did I get that right?

Am I on the right or wrong track here? Could you let me know in order I could read up on this some more?

It appears this case would be a lot easier to establish the "common law duty" and easier to understand if it was an elder or other "agent" (ie. CO/DO) of the Watchtower and not one member of a congregation hurting another member that are not agents of the corporation. Then the Berry case would be like all the other lawsuits won by plaintiffs against the Catholic church who were abused by Priests. Do you agree? If you do, do you think a Ministerial Servant would be classified as an "agent" for the Watchtower?

Thanks for your patience.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad Apostate,

I noted you had a "lengthy post" but lost it.

That happens to me now and then too. It drives me off my stick. I can only tell you that I now type "big posts" up on my MS WORD or WordPerfect word processing software. Then I copy and paste my work from the word processing software to this board.

Again thanks for your time and look forward to your reply.

hawk

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

It appears that you understand what I have been trying to say, (regardless of whether my thoughts are correct or not).

Let me try to summarize to again.

All of the BERRY "counts" are essentially tied together by the elements of "ordinary negligence", that is, how/why one party is legally liable to a second party.

To prove negligence, you first have to establish that Party #1 owed Party #2 a "duty of care". Both REES and MARQUAY explain that #1 does NOT owe #2 a "duty of care" with respect to actions of a third party (thus no "ordinary negligence" possible under the BERRY facts) UNLESS there is a "special relationship" between parties #1 and #2. Both REES and BERRY attempt to establish that "special relationship" using the theory of "fiduciary relationship", which would result in the BOE/WTS owing the plaintiffs a "fiduciary duty of care".

If a "fiduciary duty of care" could be established between the plaintiffs and the BOE/WTS, then the plaintiffs must prove that the BOE/WTS breached such duty. That "duty" must then be defined, or in other words, the standard of care must be established which the BOE/WTS owed to the plaintiffs. To establish breach of fiduciary duty, a Court would judge the BOE's actions against how the theoritical reasonably prudent fiduciary would have acted under the same or similar circumstance.

However, when the alleged "negligent actions" also breach a criminal statute (failing to report abuse which the BOE was legally required to report), the "standard of care/conduct" established in the statute (reporting abuse to authorities) can be substituted for the "ordinary" or "fiduciary" standard of care/conduct. The breaking of the criminal statute thus creates "negligence per se."

If BERRY can establish that a FD relationship existed, the Court could rule that the BOE's actions breached the FD they owed to the BERRYS. Whether or not the Court rules that the BOE's actions breached their FD, the Court could still move on and consider NPS.

The BOE were essentially "spiritual advisors" to the BERRY family. The BERRYS relationship with both the WTS and BOE was "voluntary". Noone held a gun to the Mother's head to prevent her from reporting her abusive husband to the authorities. Nowhere did the Mother surrender her parental guardianship to the BOE or WTS. She could have stopped the abuse anytime she wanted, it's just that she followed the BOE's "poor spiritual advice". I don't believe there is anyway the BERRYS can convince an Appllate Court (maybe a politically sensitive trial court) that a fiduciary relationship arose out of spiritual counseling sessions.

You are correct that the BERRY facts DO NOT EVEN RESEMBLE the facts in successful cases where Church authorities were the ones committing the abuse against children remanded to their care.

MSs ARE agents of the WTS so far as they are conducting the official duties of a MS, or even outside of such if the affected party had good reason to believe/accept that the MS's actions were "official".

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad Apostate,

Thanks very much for your time again. I just want to go a little further on something.

You said:

MSs ARE agents of the WTS so far as they are conducting the official duties of a MS, or even outside of such if the affected party had good reason to believe/accept that the MS's actions were "official".

So lets say Berry was abused, hypothetically of course, by either a Ministerial Servant, Elder or CO. If these men are "agents" of the WTS as you, yourself, have indicated, then the WTS could be held liable much like in those Catholic church cases involving priests? Did I get this right?

hawk

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

NO! That's not what I said. I said that MSs are WTS "agents" when they are performing the official duties of a MS, or the affected party(s) reasonably believe that the MS is officially acting as a MS.

The BOE are "agents" under the BERRY facts because they were acting within the Elder's official capacity of "spiritual advisors" during the conduct/acts which are alleged to be negligent.

You have to distingush the legal-factual differences between a Priest-choirboy scenario, and a E/MS-jw child scenario. JW children are rarely under the official care of an Elder or MS while they are performing official duties. Some "possible" exceptions include the situations where a child is "lost" at an assembly and is in the care of convention officials, or more remotely possible, while in the Cong's care while out in field service, or while doing the KH cleaning. If abuse were to occur during these events, one MIGHT nail the WTS, but the SPECIFICS of even these scenarios would have to be "just right".

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Mad Apostate,

Thank you kindly for correcting me. I hate putting words in people’s mouths. Sorry if I got you the wrong way.

So you are saying, Circuit and District Overseers, Elders and Ministerial Servants are WTS "agents" when they (eg. elders etc.) are performing their official duties, or the affected party (such as say a publisher) reasonably believed that the “agent” is officially acting in his official capacity of elder.

Interesting.

I noticed that in Marquay v. Eno. there is a conversation by the court relating to "Duties Based on Relationship to Abusing Employees".

This has to do with the “negligence of hiring or retention”. Employers sometimes have a “common law duty” in some cases where an employee abuses someone.

The court in Marquay v. Eno indicated that “A person conducting an activity through servants or agents is subject to liability for harm resulting from his conduct if he is negligent or reckless .... in the employment of improper persons.”

From what I am reading in Marquay v. Eno, , Mad Apostate, a Principal must exercise due care in selection of a vicious (ie. nasty) person if the employer brings the person into contact with others, while in the performance of a duty. If the employee hurts someone, the employer could be subject to liability for harm caused by the “agent” (employee). The court also stated “A reasonable man is required to anticipate and guard against the intentional, or even criminal misconduct of others .... where the actor’s own affirmative act has created or exposed the other to a recognizable high degree of risk of harm through such misconduct”.

In allowing the “negligence of hiring or retention” the court has told plaintiffs, they must establish some “casual connection” between the plaintiff’s injury and the fact of employment. If this rule was abandoned the court indicated that an employer would become an insurer for all victims of its employee.

Interestingly, the court went into what is the definition of “casual connection”. The court said that "employers have been held liable for criminal conduct of off-duty employees or former employees where such conduct was consistent with a propensity of which the employer knew of should have known, and the association between the plaintiff and the employee was occasioned by the employee’s job". The court used a couple of examples to show what it meant. One example dealt with a landlord being liable for an apartment manager who while on-duty found out a woman’s husband was not present and then came back in an off-duty capacity and raped her. The second example dealt with an alarm company being liable for an employee who installed a burglar alarm and then as a former employee he went back and robbed the house.

In Marquay v. Eno., the court said the school board and some school officials had a “common law duty” to not hire employees that would abuse children (ie. Liability based on negligent hiring or retention). "A school may be liable for abuse of a student by a school employee outside of school hours where there is a causal connection between the particular injury and the fact of employment", the court said. The court also went further and said that plainiffs, using this common law duty, could use the New Hampshire’s child abuse reporting statute as the standard of care to show negligence per se.

Hypothetical Question to you Mad Apostate:

Now lets say we have an "agent", say a Circuit Overseer, who was known to the WTS as an abuser or likely abuser at the time of retainment and was still hired/assigned/appointed by the WTS. Say the Circuit Overseer (ie. agent/employee etc) abused children who were either his own children or other children during a time that he was a Circuit Overseer but he was “off-duty”. Of course, these children, his own or others, had “occasion” to become associated with the Circuit Overseer at the Kingdom Hall or other functions.

Now given the hypothetical that the WTS knew about the CO when they hired him, does the WTS, through “negligent hiring or retention” have a “common law duty” to protect all children, that have had “occasioned” (ie. causal contact as defined by the court) with the Circuit Overseer at the Kingdom Hall (place of employment)?

Of course I’m not talking about what standard of the “common law duty” is needed here but I am just asking does the WTS have a "duty" in this hypothetical case?

Below I provide Section B. of Maquay v. Eno in full for you to read if you need it.

I look forward to your answer and again thanks for your time in helping me understand this.

Hawk

Maquay v. Eno

( http://www.edlaw.fplc.edu/Text/Library/case-marquay.html

B. Duties Based on Relationship of Abusing Employees

Up to this point, we have discussed only personal liability of school employees based on a special relationship to the student. We turn now to the question of liability based on a relationship to the allegedly abusing school employees.

We have previously recognized a cause of action against an employer for negligently hiring or retaining an employee that the employer knew or should have known was unfit for the job so as to create a danger of harm to third persons. See Cutter v. Town of Farmington, 126 N.H. 836, 840-41, 498 A.2d 316, 320 (1985); LaBonte v. National Gypsum Co., 113 N.H. 678, 681, 313 A.2d 403, 405 (1973). This cause of action is distinct from one based upon the doctrine of respondeat superior and is a theory of direct, not vicarious, liability. Cutter, 126 N.H. at 840, 498 A.2d at 320. In Cutter, we cited Restatement (Second) of Agency §§ 213 (1958), which provides that "[a] person conducting an activity through servants or agents is subject to liability for harm resulting from his conduct if he is negligent or reckless ... in the employment of improper persons."
    [An agent] may be incompetent because of his reckless or vicious disposition, and if a principal, without exercising due care in selection, employs a vicious person to do an act which necessarily brings him into contact with others while in the performance of a duty, he is subject to liability for harm caused by the vicious propensity.
    Restatement (Second) of Agency §§ 213 comment d; see also Restatement (Second) of Torts §§ 302B comment e (1965) ("a reasonable man is required to anticipate and guard against the intentional, or even criminal, misconduct of others ... where the actor's own affirmative act has created or exposed the other to a recognizable high degree of risk of harm through such misconduct").
    A cause of action for negligent hiring or retention, however, does not lie whenever an unfit employee commits a criminal or tortious act consistent with a known propensity. As several courts have properly recognized, the plaintiff must establish "some [causal] connection between the plaintiff's injury and the fact of employment." Dieter v. Baker Service Tools, 739 S.W.2d 405, 408 (Tex.Ct.App.1987); see also Bates v. Doria, 150 Ill.App.3d 1025, 104 Ill.Dec. 191, 195, 502 N.E.2d 454, 458 (1986). This causal requirement is necessary because "[w]ere such a connection not required, an employer would essentially be an insurer of the safety of every person who happens to come into contact with his employee simply because of his status as employee." Bates, 104 Ill.Dec. at 196, 502 N.E.2d at 459.
    The requirement of causal connection to employment does not mean, however, that the employee's criminal conduct must have been performed within the scope of employment, during working hours, or even while the perpetrator was an employee. See Henley v. Prince George's County, 60 Md.App. 24, 479 A.2d 1375, 1383 (Md.Ct.Spec.App.1984); Bates, 104 Ill.Dec. at 195, 502 N.E.2d at 458; Dieter, 739 S.W.2d at 408. Liability exists not because of when the injury occurs, but because "the actor has brought into contact or association with the other a person whom the actor knows or should know to be peculiarly likely to commit intentional misconduct." Restatement (Second) of Torts §§ 302B comment e (emphasis added). Thus, employers have been held liable for criminal conduct by off-duty employees or former employees where such conduct was consistent with a propensity of which the employer knew or should have known, and the association between the plaintiff and the employee was occasioned by the employee's job. See, e.g., Ponticas v. K.M.S. Investments, 331 N.W.2d 907 (Minn.1983) (apartment owner liable for rape of tenant at knifepoint by resident manager in middle of the night after resident manager learned during repair visit that plaintiff's husband was away); McGuire v. Arizona Protection Agcy., 125 Ariz. 380, 609 P.2d 1080 (Ariz.Ct.App.1980) (burglar alarm installation company liable where former employee who had installed alarm in plaintiff's home later broke in and stole items after disconnecting alarm); see also Coath v. Jones, 277 Pa.Super. 479, 419 A.2d 1249 (1980); Welsh Mfg., Div. of Textron v. Pinkerton's, 474 A.2d 436 (R.I.1984); Harvey Freeman & Sons v. Stanley, 259 Ga. 233, 378 S.E.2d 857 (1989).
    Applying these legal principles to the present case, we find that a school district or school administrative unit (school) has a duty not to hire or retain employees that it knows or should know have a propensity for sexually abusing students. Where the plaintiff can establish that the school knew or reasonably should have known of such a propensity, the school will generally be liable for the foreseeable sexual abuse of students by that employee. Liability based on negligent hiring or retention is not limited to abuse that occurs during the school day. A school may be liable for abuse of a student by a school employee outside of school hours where there is a causal connection between the particular injury and the fact of employment. Also, a school can only be liable for injuries suffered after it knew or should have known of the employee's propensity. In any event, liability will only lie if the employee's conduct was tortious.
    Some school officials may also be subject to personal liability under negligent hiring or retention theories. Those officials who have hiring and firing authority with respect to subordinates must exercise that authority reasonably, and, once such an official becomes aware or should have become aware that a subordinate was sexually abusing a student, retention could be unreasonable.
    Finally, we consider the negligence per se question--i.e., whether the reporting requirement of RSA 169-C:29 should be engrafted onto the standard of care in an action based on negligent hiring or retention. While we held in section I that the reporting statute is not applicable in an action based on negligent supervision, we hold that it is applicable in a negligent hiring or retention action. Accordingly, under these circumstances, failure to report abuse in accordance with the statute could give rise to liability, provided the plaintiff can show that reporting would have prevented the subsequent abuse.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

I will not be baited into trying to legally analyse an "unrealistic" hypothetical scenario (Known child-molesting active CO), which purpose serves only to Blurr and Confuse the legal issues of ACTUAL ONGOING LAWSUITS against the WTS, such as BERRY.

If you can direct me to a newspaper story, or other documented source of such a JW scenario, I will consider such in a separate thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit