Anybody from Waltham or Newton Massachusetts?

by out of the box 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• lawrence
    lawrence

Wow! Amazing how threads bring back memories. When I was studying in 1970 I visited that congregation with some people and remember the pool. I was in the Revere, then the Everett congos. Then went to Fitchburg, and then back to Boston. I remember Alan Montopoli from circuit work, and believe once I was baptisizing with him and Dan G. (Revere), who did a lot of circuit work with Alan. Shoot, what a flashback, especially since the day we visited the Waltham congo was the day after I did a large dose of Aldous Huxley and sat there for a talk and thought I ws in a 1st century cave with disciples of Christ. Amazing what the stuff does to one... Thanks for the memories!

BTW - I also lived in South Florida, Central Florida, and Richmond Virginia. Small world.

• minimus
    minimus

Around here we call the family the "Mountmypolies"...They always thought they were all that! Boy, I could tellya stories about them!

• Golf
    Golf

I knew the Montopoli brothers pretty well. He built the KH when I lived in Plymouth. I haven't seen them in ages. I've also spent a number of years in the Boston cong. I'll be in Rockland in October, golf tournament.

Golf

• out of the box
    out of the box
    Golf: I knew the Montopoli brothers pretty well. He built the KH when I lived in Plymouth. I haven't seen them in ages. I've also spent a number of years in the Boston cong. I'll be in Rockland in October

My son lives in Rockland and plays in a band in a local restaurant/bar. They have been a local band there for years!

minimus:

Around here we call the family the "Mountmypolies"...

Very interesting, you can write me all you want about them. Put it in this thread or send me a message. I would LOVE to hear more. They were handsome men. Their mother lived with Alan. I wrote a story here about an elder and how he treated his wife...

lawrence:

day we visited the Waltham congo was the day after I did a large dose of Aldous Huxley

DannyHaszard: Wow, Rockland too? Glad to see you here.

coffee_black: Yes, Gerry was in the Newton cong. and Alan in the Waltham. Do you remember Maynard Wellington? passed away long time ago. Sickly fellow with a bad heart, great man by any standards. Lived a true Christian life I think, loved that man, he performed my then marriage ceremony.

out of the box

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I haven't seen the Montopolis in many years. Gerry gave the memorial service for my dad. I think they are still around here. I know a lot of people have issues with them. They were always good to my family though. I didn't see that side of them.

I lost both my parents within a year of eachother. At the time, my daughter was a toddler... and since I had no siblings to help, that was a pretty tough time for me... That is the only time in all my association with the jws that I really saw love expressed. My parents were well loved... the cong. put a schedule together to take dad to and from the hospital for dialysis...staying with him for the duration of the treatments....and were always there to take care of my daughter when one or both of my parents were in the hospital. They brought meals...even cleaned the house. It really was amazing. Almost everyone in the cong. helped in one way or another. Gerry was in the Hyde Park cong during that time...and pretty much organized all the help we were getting.

I thought all jws were like that...that's the way it's supposed to work.... but rarely does. My bf's mother has been a jw for 50 years and is in her mid 80s....but no one in her cong. is there for her.. She only exists for them if she shows up at the hall or goes out in service....not even an occasional phone call to see how she's doing.

Coffee

• out of the box
    out of the box

coffee_black:

Thanks for your quick reply! I had written a few stories about the cong. I left. That was the congregation I had belonged to for about 7 years, left and came back. Allan Montopoli was good to me, he gave me money once, he said it was from the cong. but I think it was his personal money. I did not ask for it, he showed up with it.

But, he was also the brother who's wife had black eyes all the time. Rumor (later on I heard) he did those. She always was quiet, sat alone with her child, and left without talking much. I think they came in separate cars. She told people she had allergies.

The Amway story I told, where the elder held a meeting at someone's home (same bible study group for Tuesday meeting held at the same house) that turned out to be an Amway meeting! I spoke up and Allan told me I had a big mouth! I left anyway. Another time I thought about moving in with this older sister who needed help and had asked me to live with her. Alan told me I was too attractive to move in where her (very young) nephew also lived and it wouldn't work, so forget it (she was NO relative of his)!!! Oh well. Can't be perfect all the time! I can't say that the Montopolis didn't do a lot for others, they had the money to do so and shared some!

out of the box

• minimus
    minimus

The ONLY reason the Mountmypolies were anybody was because they built the Natick assembly hall. They thought their shit didn't stink. They had an exaggerated opinion of themselves. All the kids were always smoking, having sex, doing drugs and never getting in trouble for it because of their name. Even when I was a teenager, a family member of the Mountmypolies got involved in a fight, fell down the stairs drunk and the entire group took a vow of silence to keep it away from the elders. Someone told me about it and they found out and actually threatened me because they knew I was in line to be a servant soon. I snubbed my nose at them, told my favorite elder what I heard had gone on, they got a slap on the wrist and never gave me any crap again. They were the biggest hypocrites I knew.

• out of the box
    out of the box

minimus:

Thank you for your honesty in posting about those people. I saw lots and couldn't say anything. But now, I can say they wrote their own ticket. They thought they were royalty!

out of the box

• zev
    zev

i knew some of those people.

i live in ri, but work in norwood.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Min-

I remember working on the Natick Assembly Hall! The M. brothers were all over the place and quite a to do. Damn, these threads bring back so much I blocked/erased years ago. I also remember the brothers in Cambridge, at Cambridge Latin where assemblies were held before Natick. Fridays, when we would bring in the kitchen equipment from various halls and set up for breakfast Saturday morning. The M. brothers were all over the place and quite a to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit