OK, fess up. . . has anyone tried internet dating?

by carefully faded 30 Replies latest social relationships

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

I recently signed up on a couple of internet dating sites. I've been talking with one guy for about a week now and he's asked to meet for coffee. I'm a little nervous and wanted to hear how many others have tried this. If you are comfortable doing so, would you mind sharing your success/horror stories?

Thanks!

- CF

• thom
    thom

I've met two girls over the internet. I've never used a dating site, and never intended to meet someone via the internet, but I have:
    The first I met via my blog (she read my blog and emailed me). We chatted by email, then IM and then alot on the phone (some times all night, 8 hour phone calls). We eventually arranged to meet so I went to OK where she lives, she's a university student there. We had 3 great days together, even stayed at the same on campus hotel (though I wouldn't really recommend a girl do that). We kept to separate bedrooms. She is a very nice person and we got along very well, but we decided that neither of us was in a position to move so we'd better stop it sooner rather than later. She's still a good friend, but we're leaving it at friends.
    The second girl I met was on IRC. We just started chatting, then talking on the phone ALOT. I've visited her quite a few times and she's been here several times too. It's easier for me to travel, so I go there more. We're still dating and at this point are committed to eachother and have a full blown relationship. Plans are to live at her place in the summers and here in the winters. We both have kids and school and stuff so it's taking a bit of time to make things happen, but at this point that's the direction we're going.
    So at least for me, dating people I've met on the internet has been nothing but good experiences.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yeah - quite often, with mixed results. I met someone in an AOL chat room within weeks of getting the internet and we are still friends now, I've been out with several women from dating sites, I think the longest relationship lasted only 3 weeks! LOL, I've dated women from other sites including this one (!)

God I sound like some kind of expert now. Funny thing is, I am still really crap at writing those online profiles - I think mine is awfull.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I met someone through a personal ad in the paper a few years ago, but it didn't last very long.

I find that you get the same type of responses whether it be on the Internet or in black and white. They vary wildly from timidly curious to blatantly aggressive.

The thing about this subject is that NO ONE can give you pointers. You're either lucky enough to find that special someone or you're not. You either have the guts to go for it and see what happens or you don't.

Nothing about online dating is cut and dry.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Not personally no, however I have a close friend who met a guy on the internet, she dated him for a while and he decided to give up his job at the other end of the country and move in with her, she supported him financially the whole time he was there but when she fell pregnant he decided he was better off at the other end of the country.

They were still together though and he even persuaded her to remortgage her house and put the money into his bank account, I think shes seen him 2 or 3 times since, shes never seen her money and he's not interested in his son.

Hope this doesn't scare you off but just be careful.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Hope this doesn't scare you off but just be careful.

Ellie, I know your warning wasn't gender specific but I just wanted to say some blokes out there will also give everything they own for the one they love. There's some sad, sad, sad stories.

I think women have to take more care than men about things like where to meet up for the first time and so on. A lot of women I dated invited me staight round to their houses after a few emails \ calls.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Yes, I tried it. The good side: you meet a lot of men. Bad side: a lot of men are jerks! Lots of married men date on-line so keep your intuition tight - if it walks like a dog, talks like a dog and can't give you it's home phone number, IT'S A DOG (of course there are some exceptions to the home phone thing but you get my point).

Just be yourself, speak your mind and let the chips fall where they may.

Go into it expecting nothing and you won't be dissapointed, AND, you may actually meet someone nice! I went to a friends wedding in Jamaica a couple of years ago. They had their first child last year. They met on the internet, were engaged witin two months and married in 8. All's well!

Good luck (bwwwaaaaaaaaaa)

sweet tee

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

what?! i thought that's what JWD was?! sh!t! i'm outta here!

ps: you're way too young to be dating, even on the internet. wait at least until you get into double digits. but, i guess compared to sweet tee, you're not sweating it.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

For laughs me and a buddy signed up for a month over at adultfriendfinder.com. I got ton's of proposal's from couples wanting one time sex deals and girls that, after a few conversations, were decidedly psychotic. Not really my bag.

I would think that an advantage to internet dating would be that you narrow the searching down to exactly what type person you're looking for.

GBL

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Yeah it's alot of fun, but my husband really wants me to stop doing it........hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit