That Voice...My Story

by Confession 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Thanks for your story- that was so profound! I now feel mellow and thoughtful....

• out of the box
    out of the box

Confession, I think that 'confessions' come on stronger in congregations where the elders are all former Catholics. Their former teachings can creep in. If you point this out though, beware of the wrath. I found that in Mass. where I was in the congregation, confession and penance was like their second language. In the former Baptist environment of the cong. in Charlotte, NC for example that was not even brought up!

Just my observation

out of the box

• Pensive
    Pensive

Hi!!

I have a few points to make.

Firstly, I must compliment you on your fluent use of the English language, which you use effectively to keep me captivated with bated breath anticipating the next sentences. I couldn't read fast enough - and alas! It ended, leaving me wanting more.

Seondly, to congratulate you in your escape from the clutches of the Watchtower. I am confidently aware that this is no easy feat. Consider yourself, as with many others who visit this forum, a hero. You have made a great achievement.

My third point has a question attached. While I extend my full admiration to you, and do not doubt your intelligence, there is something that bugs me about people, like yourself, who were once active Jehovah's Witnesses. What is that thing which causes you to question, to dig beneath the surface? I have decided that it is not education or intelligence. My husband is a very educated man, with a good job in Accountancy and voraciously reads the financial pages of newpapers. I am yet to meet someone who can out-debate him. Yet, he is out on service every Saturday morning and rarely misses a meeting. He passionately defends the Jehovah's Witnesses at every opportunity, and gets upset at even the indication of a criticism. In short, he wears his 'Kingdom Badge' with pride never fearing to declare his allegiance to anyone who questions the reason behind his actions. In spite of my allusions to the Society's shaky arguments on blood, disfellowshipping, the 1914 theory and repeated failed predictions, he is still full steam ahead. So what is it? What does it take to get to where you have arrived?

Pensive

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Awesome. Very long but well worth it. Thanks for sharing. Gives me hope that maybe my loved ones will eventually get free from the jw bondage. thanks cj

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Great story. I loved the points about confession...too good! One question though - was the pedophile ever reported to the police??

• TheListener
    TheListener

Confession, thank you so much for that experience. You have provided a well written post that really hits the mark. Confession to the elders is definitely a pet peeve of mine and has been since before I was an elder myself. I've been on committees that let a confessed wrongdoer go without consequences because of the time since the sin. That's when I started to review the confession process; it really doesn't make sense.

I'm printing the story out to keep for future reference.

• Confession
    Confession

Kaethra, I don't believe he ever was turned in to the police. The accusers were 19 and 24 years of age, and decided not to take it to the authorities. Only now do I understand how irresponsible it is not to let the police do their job.

Everyone else, thank you for your comments. I'm delighted at the prospect of my story helping someone who's gone through what I have. And regarding the length--yes it WAS long. My appreciation for your willingness to complete it.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Firstly, I must compliment you on your fluent use of the English language, which you use effectively to keep me captivated with bated breath anticipating the next sentences. I couldn't read fast enough - and alas! It ended, leaving me wanting more.

I second that! What a great read. Very moving and very captivating! Thank you!

-Lisa

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx Confession for that story. Thanx for the PM to alert me to it also, since I work weekends and often miss some of those postings.

I now understand to some degree the choice of your screen-name here.

The story was well written, and I would think you would do well in the writing business. Anyway, thanx for sharing with us on JWD.

I found that man in the glass at the ripe old age of 48, having spent all my life in delusion. Soon, I hit the BIG 50, and have found the need to begin life all over with new perceptions and expectations. Never easy to do, as is seen by so many of these posts here. But freedom from error is better late than never.

Thanx again -

Jeff

• anewme
    anewme

That was a very good story. Thankyou sincerely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit