What Things Did You Never Really Comprehend As A Witness?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I had a hard time understanding the chronology that led to 1918 as the time for the resurrection of the anointed. The Watchtower had said that it was 3 1/2 years after Christ's invisible return that the anointed would be resurrected, therefore, since Jesus had returned in the fall of 1914, the "evidence showed" that the first resurrection had begun in the spring of 1918. The time period was supposed to be 3 1/2 years because that is how long it had taken Solomon to build the Temple. I couldn't understand why those two events necessarily needed to occur in the same time frame, and wrote to the WTS asking for some more information. They wrote back basically reiterating the existing position, but hinted strongly that more info would soon be forthcoming from the "faithful and discreet slave" that might clear up the matter for me. Sure enough, just a few months later, there was a series of study articles on the topic. Which said exactly what the previous articles had said, almost word for word. Nothing new, no explanations and no answer to my question.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS backdates prophecy and says that the fulfillment can't really be understood until after it happens.

w00 3/15 p. 13 ‘O God, Send Out Your Light’ ***

Just as the apostles understood many prophecies concerning the Messiah only after Jesus’ death and resurrection, Christians today understand Bible prophecy in its finest detail only after it has been fulfilled

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

Yeah I couldn't understand the whole no celebrating birthdays. Being a mom and all, the birth of my children was what I was most proud of and couldn't understand why you wouldn't want to celebrate that.

When I questioned this, I was given the standard "there are only two birthdays mentioned in the bible and at both someone died and jesus said a man's death is more important than his birth because then you know what kind of person he was."

My response to this was, "maybe those birthday parties got into the bible because something extraordinary happened, maybe it was more of a, "oh my god you wouldn't believe the party I went to last night...." but the jw's interpreted it as one more thing you can't celebrate. As far as the day of death being more important, I said, "as my kid's mom I think I play an important role in who he/she is going to grow up to be, so I will celebrate the day they arrived."

Funny, I never got a satisfactory argument to my responses. Maybe I just like to party...

• minimus
    minimus

Welcome----Alreadygone!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

1914!!

Welcome alreadygone!! Two posts in and I'm lovin them already!

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

When I studied with a JW I could not comprehend how the story of the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8 was supposed to show that people need someone to spend months or years teaching them the meaning of the gospel. When it clearly indicates the exact opposite - a very brief encounter.

What was the gospel message? What conditions were attached to baptism? How much teaching was necessary?

4 However, those who had been scattered went through the land declaring the good news of the word. 5 Philip, for one, went down to the city of

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

oops - lost my scripture quote: Try again...

(Acts 8) 5 Philip, for one, went down to the city of they believed Philip, who was declaring the good news of the and of the name of Jesus Christ, they proceeded to be baptized, 26 However, Jehovah’s angel spoke to Philip, saying: “Rise and go to the south to the road that runs down from to Ga´za.” (This is a desert road.) 27 With that he rose and went, and, look! an E·thi·o´pi·an eunuch, a man in power under Can·da´ce queen of the E·thi·o´pi·ans, and who was over all her treasure. He had gone to to worship, 28 but he was returning and was sitting in his chariot and reading aloud the prophet Isaiah. 29 So the spirit said to Philip: “Approach and join yourself to this chariot.” 30 Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” 31 He said: “Really, how could I ever do so, unless someone guided me?” And he entreated Philip to get on and sit down with him. 32 Now the passage of Scripture that he was reading aloud was this: “As a sheep he was brought to the slaughter, and as a lamb that is voiceless before its shearer, so he does not open his mouth. 33 During his humiliation the judgment was taken away from him. Who will tell the details of his generation? Because his life is taken away from the earth.” 34 In answer the eunuch said to Philip: “I beg you, About whom does the prophet say this? About himself or about some other man?” 35 Philip opened his mouth and, starting with this Scripture, he declared to him the good news about Jesus. 36 Now as they were going over the road, they came to a certain body of water, and the eunuch said: “Look! A body of water; what prevents me from getting baptized?” 37 —— 38 With that he commanded the chariot to halt, and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39 When they had come up out of the water, Jehovah’s spirit quickly led Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him anymore, for he kept going on his way rejoicing.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The revision of the "generation" doctrine still has me stumped.

When I ask other JWs to explain, they quote the WT articles verbatim. Proof positive they have no clue either.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    The revision of the "generation" doctrine still has me stumped.

When I ask other JWs to explain, they quote the WT articles verbatim. Proof positive they have no clue either.

There's a lot of bulls**t on this thread, but this here is the MOTHER LOAD!!!!!

I actually thought I understood the chronology - either that or I just memorized it so I would not look like a fool in front of a study. A lot of that other stuff like the trupet blasts, types/anti-types stuff just made me feel uncomfortable (can you say cognitive dissonance???) but the failed prediction about the prophecy of Dainiel tore me apart. I actually believed that BS .

sweet tee

• minimus
    minimus

If a Witness is somewhat "smart", they'll either be totally out or will just hang around to be with family and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit