HAS MUSIC ever sneaked up on you and changed the way your view life?

by Terry 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Maverick
    Maverick

I hear this song in my head all the following day after dealing with my daughter's mother..."All I want for Christmas is my Ex Wife's teeth!"

• sf
    sf

Yes.

'Yourself Or Someone Like You' by Matchbox20 (entire album and every lyric)

Also 'Retrospect 2112' by RUSH

sKally

• talesin
    talesin

Music has expressed my view of life, and my emotions, both music I've created, and listened to. It has never changed my view, though.

Same for me with Matchbox 20, sf. Every song, yup.

As for this,

there is no DATA in it.

Well, I am not a computer, so I have a much richer range of experiences than merely DATA that I draw from to make up who I am. I embrace the importance of the ethereal in my OWN life, though I don't expect others, for instance, you Terry, to either understand or do the same.

tal

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Well, I'm not sure I'd say changed the way I view my life, but I can say that it has often helped clarify my view of myself and what's going on around me.

I love music, I find it delicious and fascinating and those who can create it out of nothing have a talent I envy. But as to how I "feel" about it, that's hard. It's like trying to give voice to the thing that has helped me find mine, time and again. I love the freedom that comes when you just can't put words to what you are feeling, and all of a sudden you realize that someone already has--you can point to particular phrase or a few bars and say "Right there--THAT is how I feel."

• Terry
    Terry
    I embrace the importance of the ethereal in my OWN life, though I don't expect others, for instance, you Terry, to either understand or do the same.

Could I beg a definition (as you see it) of the ETHEREAL?

You see, I love to understand. (That's why I asked the question; so I COULD understand.)

What do you mean "embrace the importance of the ethereal"?

Ethereal: characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; as impalpable or intangible as air.

What I mean is this.

How does one embrace insubstantiality even metaphorically?

When we FEEL we feel SOMETHING. Intangible means it cannot touch you or you it.

I'm trying hard here......help me!

T.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I have a much richer range of experiences than merely DATA that I draw from to make up who I am.

hey tal. i don't like to think of us as computers either. though, sometimes i can't help myself.

but with regards music changing one's view of life, i brought up data because there is not concrete data in music, that would change one's view. however, i do think that books can change a persons view, because there is data in the book. the data strung together makes information. we apply the information to our "view" and it becomes knowledge. i personally don't think music can do this, and i'm not saying that you do say that. and i think music can enhance the view, and even mold it somewhat. but i don't think it changes one's view.

now that said, i just had a thought. obviously, some music has lyrics. this is data. when bob dylan sang "times they are a changin'" or "with god on our side", depending on the person listening, i suppose it could change their view on life.

i suppose a song could be the catalyst to change, or the straw that broke the camels back, for change.

TS

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Vaughan Williams song "SILENT NOON".

Made me realize that the most intense love is finite.The song is from a sonnet by Dante Gabriel Rosetti:

"Your hands lie open in the long fresh grass,

the finger points look through like rosy blooms:

your eyes smile peace. The pasture gleams and glooms

neath billowing skies that scatter and amass.

All round our nest far as the eye can pass,

are golden king cup fields with silver edge,

where the cow parsley skirts the hawthorne hedge.

'Tis visible silence, still as the hour glass.

Deep in the sunsearched growths the dragonfly

hangs like a blue thread loosed from the sky.

So this winged hour is dropped to us from above.

Oh! Clasp we to our hearts for deathless dower

this close companioned inarticulate hour,

When twofold silence was the song-

The song of love. "

If someone can post a link to a recording, I think you would all love this song as I do.

HB

• out of the box
    out of the box

My first experience with 'life altering' music was the Beatles. Then, Led Zeplin, and Pink Floyd's the Wall. Then and always the BeeGees and Eagles.

out of the box

• kazar
    kazar

Yes, Terry. I am always moved by music. It sets my mood for the day and can change it to another mood. There is one song that I feel so emotionally that I can't explain it: "California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas. The lyrics are not that great, nor the melody. The harmony though is really tight. When I hear it, I actually visualize the brown leaves and gray sky and I am in this scene. Anyway, one evening readying to go to the Kingdom Hall (in my attempt to be reinstated), I heard it; changed my clothes, didn't go the the Hall--in fact, never went back again.

• talesin
    talesin

Terry,

There is nothing more that I care to add, as I feel that further explanation would be an exercise in futility. If we ever meet in person, I would love to talk about it, but I really don't feel it would work in this format.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit