HAS MUSIC ever sneaked up on you and changed the way your view life?

by Terry 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
  • stopthepain
    stopthepain

I enjoyed "satanic attack".Reminded me of being a little innocent kid afraid of demons because I had an aerosmith tape.

A group that has influenced me and my attitude alot is THE BAND.You canadiens probly heard of them.They have a song called "tears of rage".The lyrics really hit me emotionally.The song was written by bob dylan.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

STP,

huge Band fan here. love that song too.

terry,

awesome page! thanks.

i used to think something similar regarding kingdumb melodies before the meeting started. they get everyone in an emotional situation suitable for group think and mind control to take place during the meeting.

and in general, i wonder about church services too. imagine how different they would be if instead of Bach, they played looney-toon songs from the organ, he he.

TS

• Terry
    Terry

So many people cannot get through the day without their own special choice of background music we have approached the unreality of movies and imitated art with life.

Velly interestink.

T.

(But, does is music any longer able to sneak up on you and change the way you view life? That is the question.)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it (music) did when i was a teenager. i have to say though, that these days i am more aware of the message in a movie or show, regardless of the moving music that accompanies it. i am still moved by it, and hope i always am. but change my life? changed the way i view life? i have to say, in my experience, no. the message and meaning are what counts. if it's a message i disagree with, but the music is moving, i will still not change my view on life. it might be harder (or easier to see the other positions), but music is not data. though both can be interpreted erroneously, i agree.

• Terry
    Terry
    but the music is moving, i will still not change my view on life. it might be harder (or easier to see the other positions), but music is not data.

This is closer to what I'm after.

Music is not data; but, it has emotional intensity IF we respond to it. It is a mindless kind of response that we derive pleasure or a sense of transcendence from experiencing.

I think music comes closest to what Mystics try to pass off as philosophy. But, as you say:

there is no DATA in it.

T.

• miss_ellie
    miss_ellie

every time i listen to bob dylan..(mainly the early stuff/solo) it makes me want to word really hard at uni so i can live my dreams!!

ellie x

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey miss ellie, welcome to the board!

i love bob dylan's early stuff too. however, i went to his concert last month, and was disapointed. oh well. it was good while it lasted.

terry,

i think music has always been part of the spiritual/religious phenomenon with humans. it must have started out as chanting and drumming, anthropologically speaking. and neuroscientists have also found that intense prolonged tribal drumming and monk chanting, actually fired up the temporal lobes while effectively shutting down the parietal lobe. this causes sensations of "oneness", and even OBEs. and we all know that temporal lobe epileptics often experience extreme religiosity, hallucinations of deities and "heavenly music".

TS

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I would say music is an enhancement, whatever I'm feeling can be intensified by certain music, depending on mood.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I can't listen to Ludwig van's 9th Symphony, 4th Movement, without wanting to choke somebody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit