A General Defense of AlanF

by dilaceratus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jukief
    jukief

Well, I guess I'm an AlanF fan, too. LOL

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

And another AlanF fan here! I have been for years.

Annie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

AlanF needs no defense. His words speak for themselves: well-reasoned, erudite, lucid, and witty.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My 2 cents

I too am an Alan fan. He is bright and knows how to present information that is clear and easily understandable. For that I think Alan is a tremendous asset to the board.

However... yes there is a "however"

I have a hard time reading Alan (or anyone else for that matter) regress to name-calling. Yes sometimes the person is a tad slow, ok sometimes they just want to post away and aren't really interested in real debates. But I don't think name-calling helps the argument.

Yes sometimes I feel like mouthing off sometimes. But I know if I want to "win" my case a little restraint is sometimes in order. If I can't tolerate the difficult or lack of desire another person has to understand I would rather walk away than reduce myself to childish name-calling.

and YES I'm a tad touchy on the subject

• Satanus
    Satanus

Alanf saved me. Heh. No really, reading his flood treatise busted my bible belief. I was really, really depressed for a month or two after that. But, i'm almost better now.

S

• siegswife
    siegswife

Alan F is a brilliant man. {lol}

• talesin
    talesin

All hail Alan F!

Since he is obviously intellectually superior, it is just fine for him to participate in name-calling.

Let's get over ourselves, shall we?

All things considered, when someone is rude, they should be called on it. Then, it should be let go.

When someone makes a really great contribution, they should be praised, not nominated for sainthood.

When someone knows how to use the language well, they have no need to resort to name calling, so to me, it is more reprehensible than when it comes from those who are less skilled at expressing themselves.

Why is it that some of the more astute posters are also the rudest? And also, seem to be incapable of humbly apologizing when they are called on it?

Just an observation. And not speaking of Alan F in particular, just the general attitude of some of those on this board who receive much adulation.

And why is that, anyway? Many of the folks on this board deserve our adulation, for their courage, their honesty in discussing,,, for surviving and moving on ... not just those who have chosen to make a study of the Watchtower.

This is a non issue,,, hero worship is FLUFF.

2 cents

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Not only that but he hardly has any spelling mistakes.

• siegswife
    siegswife

talesin, Hi! I don't believe that any people here "worship" Alan F. I think I've called him "my hero" to someone in a kidding sort of way...and if I were to have a hero, why not Alan F?

I used to be put off my what I considered to be a caustic style (I think he's mellowed out a bit the last couple of years) but when I really started reading what he was writing my perception of him changed.

I admire him because he patiently explains his point and disputes his oponent's point in a manner that makes it fairly easy to understand complex material. I mean if someone can help me grasp any of the 607/587 dispute that person's a freakin' genius as far as I'm concerned. And seriously, the way that he presents his argument does reflect that quality to a large degree.

From what I've seen, the people that are debating with Alan usually get their digs in too so I don't see why they can't take some of their own medicine. Just because Alan's better at it doesn't mean he should take all the heat for such exchanges, IMO.

Lea

• rocketman
    rocketman
    And why is that, anyway? ; Many of the folks on this board deserve our adulation, for their courage, their honesty in discussing,,, for surviving and moving on ... not just those who have chosen to make a study of the Watchtower.

This is a non issue,,, hero worship is FLUFF.

I don't think it can be put better than the way Talesin just wrote. And I'd wager that Alan F would be among the first to agree with her assessment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit