A General Defense of AlanF

by dilaceratus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

10 October 2005
    The Plane

Dear Forum Members,

I primarily visit this website to view AlanF’s posts. At present his stylings seem to have caused some controversy. Kindly allow me to win your hearts:

I fail to see how AlanF can be fairly described as “arrogant” and “condescending,” when such terms suggest an unwarranted assumption of superiority. AlanF IS demonstrably superior to other members of this board in both his factual claims and his facility in presenting said claims. At any rate, AlanF’s perceived attitude has little or no relevance to the factual data he presents, or the methods of argumentation he uses.

Unfortunately, this method of argument he uses seems to infuriate some, when in fact it is the most valuable lesson any adult who was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses could learn. Not to put too fine a point on it, but:

1. It is hard to find grosser ignorance and stupidity than that found among religious fundamentalists living in the developed nations. Their actions and beliefs that cannot be accounted for by their gross ignorance and stupidity must surely be the result of outright intellectual dishonesty.

2. Jehovah’s Witnesses are a subset of “religious fundamentalists living in the developed nations.”

3. ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses are a group from within the set of “Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

Doing serious, honest research is something that is uncommon in society in general, let alone among fundamentalists (or ex-fundamentalists). Yet to be taken seriously now should require that someone who has been profoundly duped in the past put extraordinary effort into testing their primary claims and beliefs. AlanF’s posts offer instruction into rationality and competence. (While Narkissos and Leolaia often post excellent material, their work is perhaps too specialized to consistently show the inner workings of their sustained logic.) That he often manages to do this in a lively and entertaining fashion is a showmanship that should be applauded, not chastised.

I feel entirely qualified to make this recommendation, as I am myself superior to AlanF. I have seen him occasionally use an emoticon.

SWAK,
    [Dilaceratus]

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

"10 ***October*** 2005"
    "I feel entirely qualified to make this recommendation, ***as I am myself superior to AlanF***. I have seen him occasionally use an emoticon."

Umm.... its still August mate.

Kansas District Overbeer

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I beat you to it - I am president of the AlanF fan club. But I agree Leolaia, Blondie, Hillary Step, Farkel, Narkissos and one or two others are the prime reason I visit this board. Fluff has its place but these folks are pleasure to read

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

AlanF, I've known him for over 8 years. Billy Corgan, I've known him about 10. Both are gods in my opinion.

• peggy
    peggy

AlanF is a good read! I love his strength and ability to stand up under pressure and logically state his case. He even had the balls to go one on one with Simon! Sure was entertaining!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am an AlanF fan too. I rarely use emoticons. And I, also, have been known to forget what month I am in. I've been typing April all week.

I blame my befuddled state on all the other useless facts and fancies I cram my head with.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i really don't think he needs a defense. lol

TS

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I Vote for Alan!

• z
    z

I am an AlanF fan too

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

As I wrote on the other (Rex's thread attacking Alan) thread - AlanF's logic and evidence and clear reasoning are beyond reproach.

He has also become a good friend over these past few years.

If he calls someone an idiot or nincumpoop (god, what a great word), or worse, there is very likely good reason. As in this case with the YECs. Usually it is good to remain polite and respectful. But, once in a while, you just have to let go and tell someone, "God, you're a fucking idiot!"

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit