Cures for a cough??

by under74 17 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

Gespro- Raw onions, eh? Think I'm gonna have to pass on that one. I'm drinking lemon tea at the moment...realized I didn't have any whisky.

I'm thinking about getting someone with good medical insurance to fake my symptoms and get a prescription for me. Awe, it's good to be in the richest nation on earth.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Make a tea withhot water, honey, crushed ginger and crushed garlic cloves. Let it steep with a cover on it for 3-5 minutes. Sip it slowly making sure to breath in the steam. The garlic and ginger need to be fresh not powdered.

People won't want to be talking to you but it works great. Good luck!

Dams

• Sushi Crow
    Sushi Crow

Here's some info I got from some books that I have - several options.:

1)Dry, persistent cough: poultice of roasted onion applied to the chest every two hours.

2)Onions can also be drunk as a warm broth to cleanse the airways and reduce congestion.

3) For bronchitis or asthma add a handful of young nettles to one cup of boiling water. Strain and drink the juice.

4) A cabbage leaf poultice works well when chest is tight from coughing. Crush the leaves with a rolling pin until juice starts to appear. Place three or four leaves over the chest area and cover with gauze. Place warm blanket over to keep it in place. You may also drink the cabbage juice sweetened with honey. (above from "A Guide to Natural Home Remedies" by Liz Bestic)

5)Cabbage and carrot juice recipe 1/2 c cabbage juice, 1/4 cup carrot juice, 1/4 cup celery juice, chopped fresh cilantro leaves (garnish) Blend and garnish with cilantro.

6)This is under the "flu" section, but have found it helpful any time I am feeling sick with any symptoms. Kashmir Spicy Tea 1/2 oz. fresh ginger root (peeled and sliced fairly thin), 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 4 black peppercorns, 1 tsp. corriander seeds, 2 1/2 cups cold water, honey and/ or lemon to taste (optional). Put all the spices and water in a pan and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then strain. Add lemon/ honey. Drink as hot as possible, 3-6 times a day while symptoms are acute.(from "Drink to Your Health" by Anne McIntyre)

I hope that this helps some. I'm not into chemicals, so if I can't manage to make stuff, I get homeopathic syrups. They actually work to clear conditions up, not just treat symptoms. They are more expensive than traditional stuff, but worth it 'cause they work well (best if used when caught early, takes much longer if taken later on) Thing is you have to remember to take the dosages on time, otherwise it doesn't work well. I've been able to avoid doctors this way. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sushi Crow

• Nikita
    Nikita

I few months ago, I tried Delsym and was really impressed with it!

Nikita

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Another thing is to try and avoid straining your voice, just take it easy on the throat.

Evanescence

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ginger tea does it for me. Just add fresh ginger root to some regular tea. Sugar and whiskey added is ok too.

S

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Juice of a lemon, two fingers (or more) of whisky, a tablespoon or two of honey, and boiling hot water to fill the cup. Stir. Sit down. Inhale the fumes while it's cooling enough to sip. (That's why I told you to sit down first.) Sip it slowly and let the hot liquid soothe your throat and your chest.

By the time you finish it you will either be cough free or won't care -- either way you'll have a good night's sleep!

Nina

• under74
    under74

Thanks everybody. I drank different herb teas (mostly ginger) all day yesterday and today I added whiskey to hot water and lemon. GRAMMA WAS RIGHT! I And cruzan you were right about inhaling the steam. I don't want to gross you out but I finally started cough stuff up. I'm feeling a lot better.

Thanks again for helping you guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit