LUNG CANCER--WILL YOU BE NEXT? PETER AND NOW DANA

by horrible life 30 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I guess I preach to my kids at school a bit because im hoping I can catch them before they start.

Or catch them before they are 10 or 20 year addicted rather than the 6months or 1 year addicted they may be at present.

• talesin
    talesin

Katie

That's different,, notice I was talking about smokers .... of COURSE it's right to talk to the kids about this, and educate them to the very real dangers of smoking, and implore them to never start. I do the same, especially when I was working with street kids.

It really sucks to have people treat you like you are a moron, because you made a bad choice when you were young. It's the hardest thing to overcome, in my experience.

t

• horrible life
  • horrible life
    horrible life

never mind sorry

• Mary
    Mary

Talesin said: It really sucks to have people treat you like you are a moron, because you made a bad choice when you were young. It's the hardest thing to overcome, in my experience.
    Talesin, me thinks you're being a bit hard on our poster. She's only tryin' ta help. I'd like to see our government step in and offer treatment to quit smoking to all smokers, but of course, there's a better chance of Armageddon coming tonight than that happening. The reason being, is that no matter how much it might cost to treat diseases caused from smoking, it doesn't come anywhere near the amount of tax dollars out government receives from the sale of tobacco and we all know the Almighty Dollar is the bottom line. Here is an excellent link on treatment for cancers:
    http://www.immunemedicine.com/

I hate cigarette smoke......it smells horrible, makes your teeth and hands yellow and it slowly kills you.......My grandpa died of lung cancer. It's not a nice way to go. I would also like to encourage everyone to quit before it's too late. What pisses me off though, is that alot of Health Benefits won't cover anything like smoking cessation. This is retarded. If someone wants to quit, surely it would be cheaper to help them quit than to have to deal with the possible long term effects........makes no damn sense at all.

• talesin
    talesin

Mary,

I was not being nasty, just honest.

(HL, thank you! I was trying to get a point across without coming off as mean, thus the *sigh* to let you know it is a perceived putdown, and I don't like feeling like I am 'less than' because I am battling this addiction. It's something I am not proud of, and don't need to be told over and over again how bad it is.)

Just to let you know, I think it stinks,, I don't think it should be allowed in public places,,, nor should anyone have to breathe in 2nd hand smoke. Nor should anyone smoke around children.

Let's compare issues, Mary ,,,,

Maybe I should start making threads about how all the folks who are overweight are killing themselves. And how difficult it is to sit next to a heavy person on the bus and be squished when I am in pain from my disease. And how disgusting McDonald's, KFC, et al is ....

PLEASE PEOPLE .... GO ON A DIET, MY GRANDMOTHER DIED FROM HEART DISEASE AT 62!!!!

You see what I mean? People KNOW eating this stuff is bad for them, but do they stop? No. Do they exercise regularly? No. Do they bother learning how to eat nutrititionally? No.

But they feel free to post threads asking which fad diet is the best.

There have been THREE threads about the disgusting habit of smoking lately (one of them was very nasty and judgemental, though HL's is not), and frankly, it's not like we all DON'T KNOW.

Also, quite frankly,,,, it's none of their business, just like it's none of mine if they want to eat themselves to death.

tal

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Many non-smokers are smokers (passive smokers) especially where I come from. The law has been very slow to move in the right direction in this country!

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

You know, I just had to add this. My patient made a comment, that I know I will remember. There he is sitting in an ICU bed, with possible cancer and other long term problems. He's been there for a week. We were talking about the news, and he says, "You know, the only reason Dana Reeves lung cancer makes news is because her last name is Reeves. I mean what about me? Why don't I get to be on the news?"

I had never thought of it that way. Here I was feeling so bad for Dana, and getting teary at the Peter Jennings memorial tribute, and my own patient is suffering the same thing! In fact everyone down the hallway is dealing with a similar thing. I mean I know they're famous and that, but it just struck me that I am getting emotional for these famous people, yet this stuff is happening all over! So yes, think about the Nicotine patch, and if you've tried to stop before, try again with your doctor's help. There are great new ways and support.

• Mary
    Mary

Talesin said: Maybe I should start making threads about how all the folks who are overweight are killing themselves. And how difficult it is to sit next to a heavy person on the bus and be squished when I am in pain from my disease. And how disgusting McDonald's, KFC, et al is .... LEASE PEOPLE .... GO ON A DIET, MY GRANDMOTHER DIED FROM HEART DISEASE AT 62!!!! You see what I mean? People KNOW eating this stuff is bad for them, but do they stop? No. Do they exercise regularly? No. Do they bother learning how to eat nutrititionally? No.
    Actually, I got no problem whatsoever with someone who would post this. I know being overweight is a killer, and I'm pleased and proud to say I've now lost almost 70 lbs. I exercise my ass off about 4 times a week which helps alot. I wish my stupid doctor had said something to prod me into action years ago. He never said anything because we all have to be "politically correct"........if someone told me I needed to lose weight, I certainly never viewed it as a put-down or got defensive. I always viewed it that they cared about me and didn't want to see anything bad happen to me. Smokers should view it the same way when someone tells them "you should quit smoking". It's not meant to be a put-down, but (with me anyway), it's said out of genuine concern. I will never forget visiting my grandpa in the hospital when he was dying of lung cancer. He suffered a lot and I wouldn't wish that kind of suffering on anyone---especially a fellow Canuck . Any addiction is extremely difficult to overcome. With me, it was food. Some people it's booze, others cigarettes and others, drugs. It's really hard when your addiction is legal and cheap (in the case of food) and easy to get.........

I mean I know they're famous and that, but it just struck me that I am getting emotional for these famous people, yet this stuff is happening all over!

You're right, but that's why they're famous. I think with Dana Reeves, it's especially tragic seeing as she lost her husband so recently. If there's one thing that being famous is good for, it's for bringing attention to various issues that need to be addressed. Before she died, Princess Diana used her fame to help bring attention to the land mine situation that still is happening all over the world. Rock Hudson dying of AIDS 20 years ago really brought that subject to the forefront.

I think with the combination of both Peter Jennings dying so suddenly from lung cancer and now Dana Reeves, it's really helped to bring this issue of smoking to the forefront. While there will always be people who simply don't give a damn if they die of lung cancer, or care whether their second-hand smoke could kill someone else, I believe that a good majority of people would like to quit and I really think that our Public Health System should step in and pay for treatment, whether through medication like Zyban, a re-hab center, hypnosis or any other treatment that would work.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Sadly, CNN is reporting another death from lung cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/10/obit.belgeddes.ap/index.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit