Suppose your Dub wife needed a blood transfusion? [just suppose]

by BluesBrother 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A hypothetical question..

It is easy to make decisions for oneself, or for children who come under your jurisdiction, but suppose that your consent were to be requested for emergency treatment involving blood, to a person that is a diehard Witness?

I am talking of a person that has spent her entire life in the Borg and believes that blood transfusions are a sure pathway to contract aids or something else nasty. If she were conscious I am not convinced that she would accept even the treatments with blood fractions, that they do allow. If I were to consent to a transfusion then she would truly feel violated and angry for a very long time. I would never be forgiven.

I do support the concept of an adults right to chose, and make decisions regarding their own body, but then again that person has only entertained information from the WTS regarding the subject, so they are unaware of the full picture .

The choice is to either respect her conscience, or to give her the best opportunity for survival? Is it right to withold potentially lifesaving treatment from a person who would not have accepted it herself?

• minimus
    minimus

My JW mom has told me in no uncertain terms that she would not want a blood transfusion and trusts I'd honor her wishes. I would.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I hope that I am never in this situation. I would respect my parents wishes and beliefs. For my underage siblings I would do whatever necessary to save their lives.

Dams

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I do support the concept of an adults right to chose, and make decisions regarding their own body, but then again that person has only entertained information from the WTS regarding the subject, so they are unaware of the full picture .

Exactly. Their minds are clouded when they make that decision.

I told my jw mother that I would definitely authorize blood for her if needed, so if she wants no blood, she better execute a medical power of attorney with someone else's name on it. I could not ever subject a human being to what I was subjected to when it comes to the blood issue.

• Purza
    Purza
    The choice is to either respect her conscience, or to give her the best opportunity for survival?

I personally would respect her conscience. If she received blood and survived, she may never forgive you. I know if this were to happen to one of my parents and they, by some insane chance, gave me power of attorney, I would abide by their wishes and not allow them to have blood.

Purza

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my companion says he'd authorize one for me..

he says i'm in the dark ages and brainwashed

but i still am scared of blood transfusions. duno how to shake that one off.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

If my JW husband were to need blood and is bound and determined to refuse it, I would respect his wishes. If one of our minor children needed blood and my husband were to oppose a transfusion for that child, I would authorize it anyway, regardless of his beliefs or wishes.

GGG

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I told my parents that I would fight for them to accept a blood transfusion if the doc's said it was absolutely nessesary.

GBL

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Candid -
    but i still am scared of blood transfusions. duno how to shake that one off.

Me, too!! I would try to avoid having one for as long as possible, because I'm scared of them. But I don't think they're WRONG anymore.....

If I figure out how to shake it, I'll let you know!!

GGG

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks for your comments . I am minded to respect a persons wishes , come what may.

Of course , lets hope it never happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit