Graveside Service

by AuntieJane 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Hi, I posted earlier "Taking Bets" about the JWs serving a funeral dinner for my JW aunt in the local Presby church. The Majority of those who answered was right...No, they are not able to do that, surprize surprize! We are having our own family dinner in my uncle's home. I don't think they are even bringing food.

BUT...the JW service is only going to be graveside and my cousin, who has a beautiful voice, is going to sing an old-time appropriate hymn, as part of the family tribute. Something like "Peace in the Valley" Of course, the JW's don't know this. He can sing acapella and is going to just burst it out at the appropriate time.

What kind of reaction could we expect???

• daystar
    daystar

Some shock, a lot of nervousness.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I remember the one for my grandmother: seven family members, a lawyer, a piper, and a minister. Pretty depressing, moreso than a regular funeral

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The Jay-Dubs will collectively lose their minds. This is will be interpreted as a direct attack from Satan the Devil, ruler of the demons and hater of all smurf haters. Expect to see wet spots forming around their collective crotches. Im not joking.

GBL

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Really!??? We are not doing this to offend anyone, but wanted to add a family touch to the service, since the JWs are in charge of the deal (no one else was JW but her)...SO, out of respect, should we cancel and he could sing at the dinner? I don't think anyone else in the family but me knows the JW mindset (thanks to this website...I'm edurcated!)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

auntiejane,

If you want the service to be remembered for controversy, sing the hymn. If you want it to be about remembering your Aunt save it for later. I don't know what her view was but if she was a real dub it would be disrespectful to sing that hymn at the service. What is there to lose by holding on to it for a little later in order to keep the peace and honor your aunt?

Just saying,

W.Once

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    If you want the service to be remembered for controversy, sing the hymn. If you want it to be about remembering your Aunt save it for later. I don't know what her view was but if she was a real dub it would be disrespectful to sing that hymn at the service. What is there to lose by holding on to it for a little later in order to keep the peace and honor your aunt?

One part of me is screaming GO FOR IT, while the other is saying pretty much what W. Once has said. (Picture those catroons with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, giving advice)

This service should rightfully be about your aunt and what she would have wanted. If you honestly feel that she would have been secretly giggling at what you're planning to do, then do it. But if she was and obedient and loyal JW right til the end-----I don't feel that she would appreciate it. You'll have to decide which she was and follow accordingly.

Annie

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Thanks Annie, this is how I feel. It wasn't meant to make a statement, but then again, I would be secretly pleased. The one who wants to sing is a Christian singer who, being a family member, wanted to make his contribution. He doesn't know the depths of the JW teachings, just the usual no blood stuff.

At this time, it appears that the elder in charge of the service has been trying to reach him by phone, so I am curious as to what comes of the conversation. The relative is not one to press an issue, and especially since Auntie was a believer (JW), I am sure they would want to do only what she wants. So be it.

Thanks for your post!

AJ

• Preston
    Preston
    He can sing acapella and is going to just burst it out at the appropriate time.

What kind of reaction could we expect???

They'll tolerate it...but they'll look very uneasy....

- Preston

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

This was interesting. The head honcho elder talked to the singer, they agreed on him singing How Great Thou Art, at the very beginning, and to keep it short, just one verse probably. OK, great, nothing we saw wrong with the words...but 6 hours later JW elder calls back and says he would have to follow his conscience and not agree to having the song done. Out of respect for auntie, my cousin agreed to drop it and will sing at the dinner. Not quite the same, but, tell me what is wrong with these words. I realize the 2nd and 3rd verses give praise to Jesus, but...what is wrong with this?

SORRY, I had to rant, I can't believe these people. I'll be praying for their cult-warped minds at the service.

O , LORD , MY GOD

WHEN I , IN AWESOME WONDER

CONSIDER ALL THE WORLD’S THY HANDS HAVE MADE

I SEE THE STARS I HEAR THE ROLLING THUNDER

THY POWER THRU OUT THE UNIVERSE DISPLAYED
    CHORUS :
    THEN SINGS MY SOUL MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE

HOW GREAT THOU ART HOW GREAT THOU ART

THEN SINGS MY SOUL MY GOD TO THEE

HOW GREAT THOU ART HOW GREAT THOU ART

Share this

Google+