Ozzie's weekend Poll #143 - Those experiences sessions!

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Dear Fellow Posters,

We are pleased to advise that Mrs Ozzie has qualified to serve in the polltaking department.

How pleased we are to see true posters reaching out for further privileges of posting! It behooves all true posters to 'watch how they post', doing so in full recognition that we do so in these lust last days of posting.

Yes, these times are urgent and so Mrs Ozzie's poll is available this weekend.

Yo ur fellow posters,

Ozzie & Posters Society

G'day all!

As this is District Convention season, we have this topical poll question for you this weekend, brought to you by Mrs Ozzie:

After the experiences session, how did you feel?

1. Encouraged

2. Challenged

3. Guilty

4. Inferior

5. "Oh no, here we go again!"

6. "Sounds good but I know how it really was."

7. "Did they really say that?"

8. Embarrassed

9. Try hards!

10. Other (please detail)

So there you have something to reminisce about - inspired by Mrs Ozzie.

Let's know what you think.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie (permanently upside-down class)

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    4. Inferior

I always felt so upstaged compared to those 5 year olds who got baptised at 4 and put in 20 hours a month. And not only doing that, but apparently having time for bible studies.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Other - nauseated.
    It was hard to keep a straight face listening to daughters of elders saying things like 'I wanted to pioneer since I was 2'. Or those nasty school teachers trying to 'pressure' young 'kingdom preachers' to give it all up for some worthless pursuit like finishing highschool.

• blondie
    blondie

1. Encouraged

2. Challenged

3. Guilty

4. Inferior

Another occasion to make people feel guilty and inferior using situations that sounded good but were edited beyond recognition.

I know several JWs who were "privileged" to tell their experience. By the time the DO/CO were done adding the required WTS buzzwords from the theme of the convention/assembly and lopped off any negative components, such as the person called on was never contacted again or wasn't interested on the 2nd visit, etc., the event was unrecognizable.

7. "Did they really say that?"

Having people talk and use words and phrases they had never used in their entire life. Once I saw an older JW just forget the notes provided and told it in their own words saying "I can't remember those words you wanted me to say."

8. Embarrassed

9. Try hards!

The WTS uses what they call "re-enactments" now; JWs relating the experiences of other JWs (but they don't say but label them reenactments). The COs and DOs have to beat the bushes lately to find "experiences" that fit the criteria of that assembly/convention's theme. The WTS is not too shy to use ten to 20 year old experiences from there general files at headquarters (but not mention that point).

Love, Blondie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Deadly tedious really.I mean, who cares if sister zealous can start Bible Studies , so what ! I only knew how hard the ministry was for me. The knowlege that somebody else found it easy was most de motivating.

Like Blondie, I had the inside knowlege of one or two of these items when I saw how the br. assigned to it just had to come up with something for the assembly . The "experiences" were embellished like mad. One elder, to his credit, backed out of it becauese it was no longer a truthfull account of what happened.

• Mulan
    Mulan

After some of them I felt encouraged, but most of the time they made me feel angry and guilty. Some of them were so bizarre and almost frightening that they became hard to take.

Dave and I used to wonder where they found these people..................pioneering, with five kids, an unbelieving husband, and working a full time job. Jeez!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

10: hard to take - coul'dnt believe they were serious............

• Mary
    Mary

1. Encouraged - oh dear god no.........

2. Challenged - Yes, it was a challenge to keep awake.

3. Guilty - I had a guilty sense of pleasure watching War of the Worlds during the lunch break at the ASSembly, ya.

4. Inferior - Sitting next to Fat Bastard, ya, I felt pretty damn small.

5. "Oh no, here we go again!" - Yepper, felt like that each time there was a Clap-fest

6. "Sounds good but I know how it really was." More like trying not to vomit

7. "Did they really say that?" Oh ya......

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

5.Oh no,here we go again

Ok,so this good-lookin' guy in his late 20's is still single,working full-time making well over $100 000 CDN/YR,yet he's unhappy because he's not pionneering!!!!!!!!!! So he quits the high-paying job that didn't bring him happiness,while his boss begs him to stay,even offering more money,but NO,the humble servant of Jehovah wants to move way up north to the tundra of northern onatrio to serve where the need is greater.

I've met a few of these people over the years.Sooner or later they all go back where they came from.But I guess if the WTS can fool a few into believing they should be pioneers they've accomplished what they set out to do.

Goldminer

• Poztate
    Poztate

The WTS uses what they call "re-enactments" now; JWs relating the experiences of other JWs (but they don't say but label them reenactments). The COs and DOs have to beat the bushes lately to find "experiences" that fit the criteria of that assembly/convention's theme. The WTS is not too shy to use ten to 20 year old experiences from there general files at headquarters (but not mention that point).

Love, Blondie

I was part of an "re-enactment" in the early 1970's at a DA. I was shocked at first to find that we would not be giving the experiences that were our own but were only a "lip sync" of someone elses experience. Later I even questioned if there was ANYTHING REAL about the whole thing. I believe now that the "experiences part" has more to do with with reinforcing a thought or idea of the GB than anything that happened in real life. This might not happen at every assembly but it happened to me.(30 years ago)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit