Precisely when in 1914 did the GT end???

by JCole 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JCole
    JCole

I have been asking this question since studying the Babylon the Great book back in the '60s. Maybe I'm thickskulled, but simply restating that it ended in October or Tishri doesn't explain away my reasons for asking the question. I'm only looking for answers about the date in 1914, and I'm not looking for the typical apostate replies that the year is wrong.

I question October/Tishri being the end of the Gentile Times, and thus the start of Jesus' reign, for the following reasons:

Revelation says the rider of the fiery-colored horse rides AFTER Jesus rides on the white horse. We are also taught that WWI was the result of Jesus' coronation, his throwing Satan to the earth, and Satan and the nations reacting against earth's new King.

Well, if all this occurred in Oct 1914, then how come the assassination that ignited WWI occurred in June. WWI started in July, with most major participants declaring war in August. It can't be said that much didn't occur until Oct., since there had been 3/4 million casualties by Oct 1.

Some interesting facts are that in 607BCE, Jerusalem's wall was breached, the temple destroyed, Jerusalem was burned, and the deportation started all in June to August.

I would welcome any help that doesn't question the year itself. Thanks.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Good points! Have you formulated and sent a letter to the Society on this matter?

--When the events fulfilling a prophecy are not congruent with the prophecy, it's not the fulfillment.--TJB

• JCole
    JCole

I'm not sure what an inquiry to the society would accomplish? Its not as if I have discovered something they don't already know. The info that I outlined came straight out of the Babylon the Great book. What I haven't been able to figure out for 35 years is how we conclude that the Gentile Times ended in Oct. of 1914, given all this evidence to the contrary. While the BG book provides all this evidence contrary to the October conclusion, it fails to even address the idea that such evidence IS contrary to the conclusion. Am I missing something so obvious here that it doesn't need to be addressed? That's why I posted this question. What am I overlooking?

• JCole
    JCole

GEEEEZZZZ!!! Over 100 reads, and not even a single attempt at reconciling these dates??? This is exactly the same response I've received from various elders for decades. Promises to research the matter and get back to me, but then never a single attempt???

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

JCole: The elders have absolutely nothing to do with the chronology hat the Society uses in its explanation of prophecies. They cannot tell you a single thing beyond what has been printed in the publications. As a matter of fact, they are instructed BY THE SOCIETY to do nothing BUT direct you to the publications for answers. In short, they can't help you. The Society must be the one to address your questions. If they do not, then I suggest you present them to your C.O. at his very next visit.

• JCole
    JCole

You've got to be joking? The Society has directed Elders not to think or reason on Society chronology? Why are my questions different from any other Bible questions? What if a householder asked such? Is Society chronology a touchy subject?

And, thanks for the excellent advice! When the Elders and Society refuse to answer a question, I'm to make an issue out of it with the CO??? Right! The next thing I would hear would be an invitation to discuss my question with a 3 man committee...

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear JCole: I think perhaps that I was not clear in my response to you and for that I apologize. Let me try again. There is nothing wrong or improper with your question as I understand it. The elders are simply mature men who having been 'in the truth' for many years are (or at least should be) very familiar with our publications, doctrines, procedures, and the reasoning behind what we believe. All that knowledge comes from the publications. They are not privy to any 'special' or 'additional' knowledge about any of these things. They can only go by 'what has been written'. All of the information in the Society's publications come from the GB's writing staff. They decide how this and that applies and no one else. Elders are not allowed to go beyond what the society's publications say on the matter.

Formulate your question and send it by letter to the Society. If they do not respond then tell your C.O. about the letter (showing him a copy of it would be nice too.)
    Ask him what he thinks about it. He can give you further directions.

There will be no committee involved in this.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

JCole: See the new topic posted by mgm.

• JCole
    JCole

Read it. Not sure what I was supposed to get from it???

Yes, there is AN answer, but what is it?

I already know better than to run around contradicting the Society's teachings. That's NOT what I'm doing. Reread my post(s). I'm just asking for someone to explain to me the thought process that I'm obviously missing. It appears that certain historic events occurred prior to the time that they should had, per the Revelation prophecy. So, what am I missing here? It is easy for one person, such as myself, to miss something in error. But I would think that out of all the Bible students who review my post, just one could help me out????

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

JCole: From mgm's post I gather that similar questions have been posed to the Society with no answer forthcoming. I don't know the answer to your question. As I have state previously, the Society is the only entity that can answer that question and I think that you should write a letter and ask them. They came up with the chronology it's only logical that you ask THEM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit