New Testament Paradise Earth

by TheListener 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Justin
    Justin

Now regarding the OT/NT issue: After I left JWs I wanted to avoid any special terminology which was used to set us apart from everyone else. But now I find that the language is changing, and if we want to keep up we need to have some second thoughts. The term "Hebrew Scriptures" is becoming more commonplace in the mainline because it is felt that "Old Testament" is a concept which Christianity has superimposed on the Jewish Bible. This, however, presents its own problem for those who include the Apocrypha in their "Old Testament," for while some of these books may have had Hebrew originals, they come to us through the Greek Septuagint version and therefore could not be Hebrew Scriptures. But it's something to keep in mind if dealing with persons sensitive to this issue.

Another issue is the fact that in 1965 the Society started using "B.C.E." and "C.E." in place of "B.C." and "A.D." When I left, I cheerfully reverted to the latter. But now I find that, with the general culture being less oriented toward Christianity, many scholars are using the more generic "B.C.E." and "C.E." All we can do is realize that language is used to communicate, and we certainly don't want to be using the terminology of some "in" group which is used to separate us from everyone else.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

This text is of special interest because it contains imbedded information not visible in the translation. Basically it is saying: to enter into my Fathers house (as someone in authority) you must die in faithfulness just as I will show you as I too will soon die as such, but at a future time I will come again and raise you from such a fateful death back here on earth where I will be at that time. The expression “I go to prepare a place for you” is actually “going under” in the text or into the ground in death. Time is required and time must pass along with a resurrection from such death before such events take place. But anyone in my Fathers house at that time would be someone of importance and they are symbolically known as the 144,000.

Joseph

• Room 215
    Room 215

One text that I'm surprised the dubs don't use more is Hebrews 2:5 ``For it is not to angels that he has subjected the inhabited earth (oikumene) to come, about which we are speaking." Excepting a plausible alternative explanation, this could be taken to mean (1) the early Christians expected some sort of earthly realm of the heavenly kingdom; and (2) it was something they spoke of.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Excellent posts everyone.

In my dub life I have never used Hebrews 2:5

• defd
    defd

The only occasions I can think of that the dubs use to show the new testament does in fact talk paradise earth is the scripture at Matthew 5:5 (about mild tempered ones, or meek inheriting the earth), Revelation 21:3,4 (about no more sickness, sorrow, suffering nor death) and Jesus on the cross saying that the guy next to him would be with Jesus in paradise.

Hey listener paul talk about it also on several occasions.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Def'd

Return the dignity others show you by posting some scriptural references.

-ithiinkisee

• defd
    defd

Return the dignity others show you by posting some scriptural references.

-ithiinkisee

Fair enough

Ephesians1:9-11, Hebrews 2:5, Revelations 5:10, 2Peter 3:13 and many more............. check those out for starters and see what you think.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

defd:

Just listing scripture references proves nothing. Why do you refer to them?

As it is, you might just as well list 1 Ratherflawed 6:66

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Def'd. Explain why those scriptures are supporting a paradise. I don't see it.

(Revelation 5:10 New World Translation) and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth."

Def'd this is a mistranslation of scripture by the Society to help fit their (and yours) twisted "two hopes" methodology. Look in your own Greek Interlinear to see the correct translation. No Greek Interlinear, Lexicon, or any manuscript or translation renders epi as "over" except the Society. Why would that be?

Are there two hopes Def'd? Are you sure?
    (Ephesians 4:4-6 New World Translation) 4

One body there is, and one spirit, even as YOU were called in the one hope to which YOU were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all [persons], who is over all and through all and in all.

-ithinkisee

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I'll even do some homework for you Def'd .... check out this twisted reasoning ... and the arrogance at the end of the article:

*** w60 6/15 pp. 383-384 Questions from Readers ***

Questions
    from Readers

In the statement at Revelation 5:10, "they will rule as kings over the earth," why does the New World Translation use the word "over," while other translations, such as the King James Version, American Standard Version, Douay and Diaglott, use "on"?—J. D. J., U.S.A.

The New World Translation at Revelation 5:10 renders the Greek preposition epí in connection with the earth as "over" the same as it renders the identical preposition followed by the genitive (possessive) case as "over" in Revelation 9:11 and 11:6. "They have over them a king." "They have authority over the waters." Thus you see that this preposition followed by the genitive case does not in every instance have the meaning of "upon" or "on." This preposition, epí, followed by the genitive case, may refer to place in answer to the question, "Where?" and may thus signify "upon, on, in, at, near," but it may also refer to a position as above or as denoting pre-eminence. Thus we read at Matthew 2:22 that Archelaus was king "of" or "over" Judea, and at Ephesians 4:6 that God is "over" all. Also, it may refer to one’s being over a business or an office, as at Acts 6:3, where we read of the apostles searching out seven qualified brothers to "appoint them over this necessary business." See also Acts 8:27; 12:20.

So in Revelation 5:10 it refers to being over the earth as rulers, not being exactly on the earth, because the rest of Revelation as well as other texts of the Christian Greek Scriptures show that Jesus Christ and his joint heirs of the Kingdom will rule in heaven, which is the throne of God, whereas the earth is merely the footstool and therefore not the place for the glorified Christ to rule. Consistent translators who render things contextually will therefore render this expression in Revelation 5:10 as "over the earth." Thus the Complete Bible in Modern English by Ferrar Fenton renders the verse: "And have made them into a Kingdom and priests for our God; and they will reign over the earth." See also An American Translation by Edgar Goodspeed and J. M. P. Smith.

The above instance drives home the truth that the Bible cannot be properly translated without knowledge and understanding of the purposes of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit