Which meeting are disfellowshippings annonced?

by wordlywife 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Public Talk and WT study meeting? School meeting? Certainly not at book study I imagine.

Thanks!

WW

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

On the first talk of the service meeting, usually Thursday nights.

GBL

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Such announcements are made at the Service Meeting.

The announcement will always be at the beginning of the meeting after the normal "Annoucements" part.

Usually a Ministerial Servant will have this part, and then call on an elder to make the DF statement.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Yes, on Thursday nights. They wouldn't want it on a Sunday in case some "interested ones" or studies would hear and question. Very clever of them.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I see. That makes the one week to appeal thing make sense now. Yuck.

What is the "appeal" process? Objecting, and then sitting through another 3 hours of interrogation?

• lawrence
    lawrence

At the outset of the sales meeting they make "outcast WTS literature salespeople" defunct.

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

Sorry about what happening to your step daughter.

I appealed my df'ing. The rounded up another set of elders from another congregation, so now your commitee meeting consists of 6 elders (mine did anyway). Then they hear your story all over again, kick you out of the room, talk about it for a while, then have you back in there to let you know their decision, usually always in favor of what the original elders had decided.
    I hope she doesnt allow it to go on for another 3 hours, that is just ridiculous.

Char

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

This is the offical procedure for disfellowshipping appeal. Good luck though I doubt there would much success. "Rubber Stamp" comes to mind.

You might check to be sure what night your Service meeting is on. The Service meeting is always grouped with the Ministry School. Thursdays are common, but not standard.

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will page 153, 154:

When a judicial committee concludes that an unrepentant wrongdoer should be disfellowshipped, it should let him know of the decision, clearly stating the Scriptural reason(s) for the disfellowshipping. When informing the wrongdoer of their decision, the judicial committee should tell him that if he believes that a serious error in judgment has been made and he wishes to appeal the decision, he may do so by writing a letter clearly stating the reasons for his appeal. He will be allowed seven days for this, from the time he was notified of the committee's decision. If such written appeal is received, the body of elders should contact the circuit overseer, who will designate elders to serve on an appeal committee to rehear the case. The elders selected to care for this weighty responsibility should be men who are experienced and qualified. Every effort should be made to conduct the appeal hearing within one week after the written appeal is received. If there is an appeal, announcement of the disfellowshipping will be held in abeyance. In the meantime, the accused person will be restricted from commenting and praying at meetings or from special privileges of service.

An appeal is granted as a kindness to the accused and allows him a further hearing of his concerns. Thus, if he deliberately fails to appear at the appeal hearing, the disfellowshipping should be announced after reasonable efforts have been made to contact him.

If the wrongdoer does not wish to appeal, the judicial committee should explain to him the need for repentance and what steps he can take toward being reinstated in due time. This would be both helpful and kind and should be done in the hope that he will change his ways and in time qualify to return to Jehovah's organization.—2 Cor. 2:6, 7.

• Purza
    Purza

It was always during the service meeting. Sometimes, if an MS was handling the annoucements, they would bring an elder up to annoucing the DFing. I have also had halls that I attended where the df'd annoucement was last -- right before the song and prayer. Perhaps each hall handles it a different way as to when they make the announcement.

Purza

• willyloman
    willyloman
    if he believes that a serious error in judgment has been made and he wishes to appeal

And this is what they will base their determination on. The official WT policy is, there must be a "serious error in judgment" before a JC decision can be overturned. Many appellants make the "mistake" (but how would they know, given the secret nature of all these rules) of arguing they were in fact repentant but that the original JC just didn't see it. This argument is seldom upheld. The Catch-22 here is that the new committee must determine what the status of repentance was at the time of the original hearing. I know, that's just amazing.

So, unless your sd can point to some serious error in judgment made by these guys, the appeal committee process is just piling on more punishment.

Bottom line: This is a kangaroo court. Expect no justice, and you will not be disappointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit