Down . sizing exceptions.

by Blueblades 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The Watchtower has been down . sizing everything except meetings. Still 5 meetings, no down . sizing them! No! NO! No! Imagine no more special day assemblies, no more circuit assemblies, no more district conventions, just one meeting a week on Sundays!

Where would all the money come from if not at all those meetings, in those boxes, ahem!! we have a shortage this month for our local and other worldwide work programs, also the circuit overseer needs his bills to be paid, plus the loan on our Kingdom Hall etc, blah! blah! blah!

So, all you uneducated lacking higher education rank and file ones dig down into your pockets from the low wages you get and put it into those boxes, and remember we never pass the basket around like them other guys do.

Remember Jehovah loves you and he always needs money.

Blueblades

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The god I worship isn't short of cash.

• karen96
    karen96

How are they downsizing? I read Awake is now only once a month. Are they cutting out conventions?

I tell you, if they do that, what reason does a sister have to shop for 2 weeks looking for a new dress to wear, when 10 other sisters at the convention is wearing the same thing!

No really, how are the downsizing?

karen

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

They have been downsizing at Bethel big time. Sending people home, to other branches, printing paperback books, the list goes on. They downsize anything but the stuff that would make sense.

• blondie
    blondie

There is hope

The DCs used to be 8 days, then 5 days, then 4 days, now 3 days.

There used to be two 2 1/2 day circuit assemblies, from Friday evening to Sunday evening

then

Only two 2 day circuit assemblies

then

Only one 2 day circuit assembly and one 1 day special assembly day

There used to be an additional meeting on Saturday night during the CO visit

There used to be a meeting for field service before the book study

The meeting used to be longer on Sunday, 1 hour PT, 1 hour WT, 15 minutes break, 15 minutes songs/prayers (2 1/2 hours)

Blondie

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Blondie - you are kidding me!

The meeting used to be longer on Sunday, 1 hour PT, 1 hour WT, 15 minutes break, 15 minutes songs/prayers (2 1/2 hours)

They used to have a break in the middle of the sunday meeting? What did everyone do for that precious 15 minutes!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

The reason was the hour talk was considered a public talk in the sense that we were actually getting people in the territory to come to hear it. We used handbills with the name of the talk and the public speaker and would actively invite people in the territory to come. Since we told them it was for one hour, the 15-minute break was designed to give the publishers an opportunity to chat with the newly interested person before they went home. Before we owned a Kingdom Hall of our own, our congregation would actually rent a meeting room in a neighboring town, and we would do a blitz in the area and we actually got people to attend our public talk.

Another way we downsized--the ministry school and service meeting. They used to be two full hours PLUS and extra 15 minutes were allowed for song and prayer. Our meeting would start at 7:25 p.m.so the ministry school could start promptly at 7:30. It ended at 8:30 and another 5 minutes for the song. The service meeting went from 8:35 to 9:35 and by the time the song and prayer were over it was about 9:40 p.m. They eventually took away the extra 15 minutes. I was glad for that but wished it could have been shortened another 30. It sure was hard on school kids.

• Mary
    Mary
    Imagine no more special day assemblies, no more circuit assemblies, no more district conventions, just one meeting a week on Sundays!

That'd be about as close to Paradise as the Witnesses could get!

Blondie said: There is hope

I've given up hoping that they'll get rid of some of the meetings. Yes, they've cut down in alot of areas, but not in anything that matters. The summer assemblies are much shorter than 30 years ago, but it's also only a once-a-year event. Ditto for the the Circuit Assemblies. They reduced the number of hours that pioneers need to get, but who gives a shit about that? How does that help the average Dub who works full time, has a family and is expected to make it to 5 frigging meetings a week? It doesn't help in the slightest.

If Brooklyn had a brain, they'd get rid of 3/4 of the meetings. They could have a one hour talk on Sunday and a meeting on Wednesday evening. They'll never do that though. That would give the Rank and File some free time to maybe enjoy life or spend some time with the kids----and we can't have that.

• blondie
    blondie
    There is hope

Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm indicator

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Having shorter (and fewer) meetings would also give the publishers time to do real charity work--like visiting the older ones and looking after the needs of the needy.

On a side note, have you noticed that the Kingdom Ministry which is the publication that mandates our activities for the week, NEVER suggests any of the above activities? Occasionally (very occasionally), there will be an article in the WT saying it is important but always adds that the preaching work is more important.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit