BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST

by tijkmo 48 Replies latest social relationships

• ballistic
    ballistic

the last line of that song, "you only live twice" is "make one dream come true, you only live twice"

It's one of my favourite songs.

Coldplay do a version of it, I don't believe it's on any of their albums, but they play it live, I have it here.

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
    One life for yourself and one for your dreams.
    You drift through the years and life seems tame,
    Till one dream appears and love is its name.

And love is a stranger who'll beckon you on,
    Don't think of the danger or the stranger is gone.

This dream is for you, so pay the price.
    Make one dream come true, you only live twice.

And love is a stranger who'll beckon you on,
    Don't think of the danger or the stranger is gone.

This dream is for you, so pay the price.
    Make one dream come true, you only live twice. (from James Bond 007 - You Only Live Twice, 1967)

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

In my teens, my stepsister was a single mom and had to work so I watched my neice a LOT and was like a second mom. We were very close until she and her mom moved out of state.

It broke my heart and my mom and I argued this very question. She wished I hadn't gotten so close and gotten hurt by the loss, advising I remain more detached in future relationships (of any kind).

I said I would far rather have the all the wonderful memories and good feelings followed by traumatic loss than bland memories and a ho-hum goodbye.

Reminds me of an argument my great-uncle and a friend of his often had. They were both blind. She lost her sight shortly after birth in an incubator, he lost his to glaucoma when in his 40's. She felt sorry for him for losing what he had once had (not having had it, she said she didn't miss it); he felt sorry for her because she had never experienced what he had (and didn't know what she was missing).

So I guess, it just depends on your own perspective...

~Merry (of the "live and let love" class)

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Yes. It is better because from each experience we grow and we learn something. Or, at least we should learn something.

(missing the island and my friends)

(insert sad icon here)

(hugs Merry and tij because it's a good thing to do)

Lisa

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

(small teary sniffles and BIG hugs to Arrow)

~Merry

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Reminds me of an argument my great-uncle and a friend of his often had. They were both blind. She lost her sight shortly after birth in an incubator, he lost his to glaucoma when in his 40's. She felt sorry for him for losing what he had once had (not having had it, she said she didn't miss it); he felt sorry for her because she had never experienced what he had (and didn't know what she was missing).

good analogy merry

(inserts knowing nod in arrows direction)

• JH
    JH
    Yes. It is better because from each experience we grow and we learn something.

So true Arrowstar. Sometimes we learn the hard way

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    The relationships just evolve - they may be a lover for a while and then things don't work out and they become a friend.

A wonderful aspiration, Crumpet - but I'm not there yet. When a relationship breaks up I have to dismiss that person from my life for at least a year, due to grief. But, yeah, if the girlfriend who dumped me about five years ago were to invite me on a strictly platonic day out, I'd go. She gave great brain-candy.

Billygoat, if I'd been lied to by anyone I trusted enough to love, I think it would seriously derange my understanding of love and romance, at least for a while. That's never happened to me yet.

tijkmo,

i wish i had never known love like that because i hated losing it...so in this case not better to have loved and lost...better not to have loved at all

I sympathize utterly and offer you telepathic hugs if you want them, but I can't agree. It would be like dying a virgin.

I supposed I can say that because I've lost and recovered.

MerryMagdalene, thank you so much for quoting Emerson!

Souls above doubt,
    Valor unbending,
    It will reward,----
    They shall return
    More than they were,
    And ever ascending.

See, that's what I was trying to say!

gently feral

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Love is really just an evolutionary mechanism acquired so we humans can mate.

The "love lost" feeling is simply our instincts informing us that we should reacquire the lost mate or find another.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Love is really just an evolutionary mechanism acquired so we humans can mate.

The "love lost" feeling is simply our instincts informing us that we should reacquire the lost mate or find another.

no it isnt

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

(hugs GentlyFeral because it's been ages)

(gives tij a little kiss on the cheek and a warm hug)

(pours Merry a drink with an umbrella and gives a toast for old time's sake)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit