30 and Out?

by Black Man 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

WOW! The idea of the OP is eerie,yet awesome! I have indeed noticed it to be true myself.

I woke up at 28 years of age. Know when I gave up all my WT privileges? 30!

Strange pattern, but I have also seen it with a few family members as well as a few other friends that were/are JWs.

They may not be completely out of the org, like myself, but mentally have checked out - 30 and out.

CoC

• finally awake
    finally awake

I was 28 when I got sucked into the Borg, and 41 when I woke up. I think the whole idea of my own mortality just scared me out of my senses and I went running to a group that promised I wouldn't really have to die.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Im 30 and a newbie... sort of

Was a different username about 9 months ago then due to being so conflicted about what to do, i didnt come on here again for ages. Then forgot my totally obscure secret email address and password, and my password for this forum!

Been "lurking" here again the last month. I had decided to stay in "the truth" and felt good about it for a while, but here I am again. So depressed! and feeling terrible because I promised my husband I wouldnt look here again let alone post without discussing my thoughts with him first. He was supportive last time, but I think relieved when I said I "wasnt going anywhere" as in not leaving the "truth"

My mum and dad are "Uber Dubs" (love that nickname, you guys need an "apostaspeak" dictionary) but my Mum said she went through similar thoughts as me at a similar age but she stuck with it, and put all her doubts about God and the org down to depression.

So stressed and lonely, but resolved not to talk to to family about it again, it caused too much upheaval. So at the moment they all know Im depressed (because I do suffer from clinical depression, its easy to tell them its just that), but not the real reason why. Im trying to put on a good front "spiritually" for the time being.

I was Notreadytorun, if anyone reads my old posts you'll see I was so confident of getting out with my immediate family, felt so "free" mentally for a short time. A few very kind posters reminded me of the rollercoaster ahead, I had no idea how hard this would be.

Sorry to hijack the 30 & out thread! It just really struck a cord with me, and i felt ready to post again. Will post more later, got to attend to my little ones....

Bye for now, my best to you all "SkyGreen" ps I saw on someones post a while ago, a quote that meant a lot to me, so thanks to whoever posted "Id rather have questions I cant answer, than questions i cant ask... or answers i cant question.
  • lostinthought
    lostinthought

My first major dout happened at age 29, I had a hard time with turning 30. I was uneasy with myself, the doubts didn't go away and I begain to loose spirtual goals, instead I wanted to have at least one kid and get a house. I watched hgtv and longed for a home of my own. I wasn't married, apparently I missed the jw ship of getting married at 20 and the pool of eligible brothers was shrinking, fortunately after some months that didn't matter much to me because the doubts continued and I was completely mentally out by my 31 st birthday. I even celebrated it a little. But I still can't completely shake this religion from my life, I still attend meetings and such, ill be 32 this February.

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

Happy hardcore dub until the age of 30!

Then some major internal conflict as doubts started springing up. Desillusionment, the nagging feeling that there were so many holes in my belief system. Still managed to pioneer another 4 years while battling/ignoring my doubts. I remember many times thinking that if it didn't end up being true, it still was the best and happiest way to live life (propaganda works). Had a full blown crisis (my darkest hours) and full awakening at 34. I think that finding my first grey hair and realizing that I actually had a "biological clock" was enough to face the fact that if this belief system wasn't true, I had to know. I also started seeing that the promise of happiness in the org wasn't usually delivered. In the matter of a few weeks, deconstructed all my beliefs.

I'm in college now, and free thinking has me feeling almost high some days!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Just shows me how stupid I am & was...I was 65 when I woke up & got their loving kick up the butt!
    This is very interesting page. But this old lady thinks( yes I can now) But I wonder if sex didnt have a
    little bit that helped the brain work?For you youngsters
    YEP I THINK IT MIGHT HAVE

Mouthy!!! Granny Grace

• mouthy
    mouthy

I guess I hit the nail on the heads

• perfect1
    perfect1

Sky Green, you are not stuck! I hope you find your way to freedom!

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Ive been married an have kids already mouthy, so my doubts were more a growing up thing (i like the psycological explanation posted by ChuckD, sounds just like me) between 29 and turning 30.

But I agree, for those who turn 30 and are still single, the sex thing certainly could be a motivator to question their beliefs...

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

I also was already married.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit