30 and Out?

by Black Man 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

What is it about the No. 30 that seems to put JW's at a cross-roads? I've known so many who have decided to abandon ship at either the age of 30 or either after 30 years of being baptized. I fall into the former category. You know the routine:
    (1) Raised around the "truth"
    (2) Baptized at a fairly early age
    (3) Pioneered out of high school
    (4) Served time at the 'Big House' (Bethel)
    (5) Used my "gift" of singleness by forsaking dating/marriage relationships for the sake of the kingdom.
    (6) Forsook college for the kingdom.
    (7) Woke up one morning.
    (8) Found that I was 30.
    (9) Realized that being a JW was plain and utter BS.
    (10) Decided I wasn't too old to go to school, and get an education, a life, a meaning and a purpose.

That's the beauty of it. At least I wasn't too old to come out and "do my thing". I think of so many who have thrown their lives away for the sake of the "kingdom". I like to think that as long as you're alive you have the power to do anything you put your mind to do. But there are so many people who gave their lives to this cult who are now in their latter 50's, 60's, 70's and always wonder what would've-could've-shoud've been with respect to actually having a real life. Lost careers, opportunities, goals, families, lovers.

I remember at Bethel, many old-timers were there only because they devoted so many years of their lives to "the kingdom", they felt that they couldn't do anything else. They felt that they were too old to go back to school, learn a skill, have a family, have a life. Oddly enough some of the Bethelites who said this had been there for 30 YEARS. So you've got a major demographic of people who are only serving this organization for room and board. Really sad. I'm just glad I woke up and became part of the 30/30 club.........

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

That's cool. I got out of the Borg at 28. But sometimes all the old Victorian religious stuff remains. As a result, I remained a virgin til' 39. She, fortunately, was not. :-))

• BERNARD
    BERNARD

I was 28 when I da'd myself happy ever since, disgruntled but HAPPY

THE REAL TRUTH STANDS THE TEST OF TIME, IT WILL NOT CHANGE, IF IT DOES ITS A LIE.The sun will rise, The sun will set,AN EXAMPLE of The real TRUTH nobody can change.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

I threw in the towel at 29 years and 11 months! Is that close enough for you??

• AlanF
    AlanF

After I reached 26 I got increasingly uncomfortable with JW teachings about the end of the world and science. A year later I went to college, became inactive, and pretty much put things on hold until I was done. At college my misgivings increased, when I tried to verify the Society's claim that earthquakes had drastically increased in the 20th century. I also discovered that many source references were misrepresented in Society publications. A year and half after leaving college I became inactive permanently, at age 32.

AlanF

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Hello B.M.,

The 30somthing thing you spoke of is, in my opinnion, a common occurence from my part of the Union. In my old hall, in the last 10 years, the 30somthing group has just about "dried up". Couples have moved to other more "loving" halls and all that is left are either the very young or the older group. I wondered why the 30somthings were flying the coupe. Why were they in demand?

I think one reason is that people in their 30's are the most dynamic of the age groups. Their young enough to do all the running around that elders are suppose to do, (MS work, hall building, careing for and doing things for the young and old, basicly taking a licking but keeping on ticking), but old enough to bring their money and talents to the congregation to stablize it from futher decay.

Another reason I think is that 30somthing people have FAMILIES. Young families. That takes an auful lot time and energy if you are going to do it right. So they will gravitate to "other" 30somthings with families. Large congregations.

Sadly, I think a MAJOR reason is that they are simply "chased away" by overbearing elders trying to enforce WT rules and reggs. After 30, you simply WAKE UP and see things as they realy are, mabey for the first time in ones life. These, ofcourse, are just my sideline assumptions based on what I have seen.

What ever the reasons for ones perspective after 30, there is very little the org. can offer them that some part of their brain won't instantly recognise as cow patties.

CornerStone

• joelbear
    joelbear

I was df'ed at 29 years 11 months. Went back to Key West for my birthday the next month.

People start to reexamine their lives at 30 and most people have gotten their wild youth behind them.

hugs

Joel

• soylibre
    soylibre

Blackman.....you were raised around the what????? Did you say "truth"???? I didn't hear that come out of your mouth! I da'd at 27....and very happy to do so......

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Add me to the 30ish wake-up list. I stopped going last year at 31. Not sure if reaching thirty had anything to do with it; maybe it is true that you stop to consider your life and how it suddenly appears to be racing by, time a-wasting in pointless door-knocking and following the nonsense of a bunch of delusional fanatics. Whatever, my thirties are gonna be MY decade.

Expatbrit

• regan
    regan

Well I got out of it at the age of 18 but the stranglehold of years of twisted brainwashing didn't begin to fully melt away until I was close to 30, now that I am 5 months shy of 30, I feel I am now completely FREE. I only now fully realize what a load of crap I had been spoon fed and believed for my entire youth. I am just happy that I have another 30+ to really enjoy my life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit