Site issues: Dec 27 Update

by Simon 36 Replies latest forum announcements

• stillin
    stillin

I have my post viewer set at 20 at a time. This helps me to see what has been going on since I was last online. Good feature.

what I would appreciate is, if I happen to be looking at,say, post number 19 on a given page, and reading replies to that post, then I finish reading and want to go back to where I was and pick up from there, I am directed all the way back to the top of the page. Rather than back to where I was. So I have to scroll back down to number 19. 

A small thing but would that be much trouble to fix?

incidentally, I had to sign in this morning and I had not logged off.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Hi, Simon -- thanks for the new site and all your hours that have gone into its inception.  It does have a cleaner look and some great features. 

I am running Firefox but have to log in each time I return to the site, even though the "remember me" box is always checked.  No big deal, just information in case it helps.

• stillin
    stillin
    Is there still an archive to browse?
  • millie210
    millie210

Hey Simon,

does your head ache yet? 

Just hoping for some help logging on in IE. Its the reCaptcha thing stopping me. It is invisible so I cant do what it requires.

thank you and sorry to have to say anything. Dont want to add to your work load

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Inserting images & links.....Firstly sorry if this has been explained elsewhere, I am not yet conversant enough to find or check thoroughly .

1) Do we still need to use a third party site like PhotoBucket to post images?

2) Do we need them if we nick a pic off the net and use the url in the insert image box ? 

3) to add a link I paste the link into the post , then click the "link" icon - paste it again into there - click insert (or add, whatever) and the posted link becomes active.. Is that still necessary? 

Thanks for all your work.

• Simon
    Simon
    does your head ache yet? 

I'm feeling better this morning, I think I'm on the mend now - I just sound like Barry White. Oooh baaaby yeah.

Just hoping for some help logging on in IE. Its the reCaptcha thing stopping me. It is invisible so I cant do what it requires.

If you have any form of plugin that interferes with how the browser normally renders things (adblockers etc...) then there is little I can do. The recaptcha is a fairly standard piece of code from Google - there may be issues with it (which they will update) but I can't do much if it's implemented right at my end. I think there is a way to launch IE without any plugins - that would be the best way to test if those are causing the problems.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

So what's the deal with Like/Dislike?

I really "like" the idea, as I can express how I feel about a post/thread without having to post myself.

Is this feature actually working now? If so, I don't see any evidence of it (e.g. Something that says "breakfast of champions liked this post")

• Simon
    Simon
    1) Do we still need to use a third party site like PhotoBucket to post images?
    2) Do we need them if we nick a pic off the net and use the url in the insert image box ? 

You can embed images directly in your post (if they are not too big) OR link to them with the URL. I'm going to add the ability to upload much larger images as a separate process.

3) to add a link I paste the link into the post , then click the "link" icon - paste it again into there - click insert (or add, whatever) and the posted link becomes active.. Is that still necessary? 

If you post text that contains recognizable URLs then they should get converted into links automatically. However, it's much nicer to make some human readable text into a link instead.

e.g.

This is the bbc website

is much nicer (especially for very long URLs) than

This is the bbc website:  http://www.bbc.co.uk

BTW: There seem to be some quirks when you start typing in a URL - I'll be looking at those.

• Simon
    Simon
    Is this feature actually working now? If so, I don't see any evidence of it (e.g. Something that says "breakfast of champions liked this post")

I'm not intending to make the specific likes / dislikes visible as I think that leads to bad feeling. I may have it show your own likes / dislikes but I'm not convinced the extra status notification is really of tremendous value vs the resources to display the state in a scalable way.

The votes are captured and you can only vote once - if you accidentally dislike something you meant to like then clicking like will change the vote.

The votes will eventually feed into a 'top rated' content which should be more useful as a measure than 'how many replies'.

• millie210
    millie210

Hi SImon, I am trying to use AOL and dont see anything else I can adjust on my end. I am able to use the reCaptcha function on other websites just not here.

Any thoughts?

I cannot use my Chrome for security reasons. I really need to use the AOL

I copy/pasted below all that I am able to see. If I could just make the box visible I think I could sign in.

Please confirm you are a humanzee !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit