Site issues: Dec 27 Update

by Simon 36 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon
    I am trying to use AOL and dont see anything else I can adjust on my end. I am able to use the reCaptcha function on other websites just not here.

They likely have the older scripts and not the newer ones. I think there is value in having people be able to skip the recaptcha if it's not necessary (the big benefit of the new version) and it wouldn't be unfair to impose the old captcha on everyone just because of one person insisting on using AOL.

Edited to add: There is a fallback option that *may* help - that's the only thing I can try I'm afraid.

I cannot use my Chrome for security reasons. I really need to use the AOL

Web developers everywhere will find so so many things wrong with that statement! Seriously, AOL is nowhere near as secure as Chrome is.

Unfortunately I don't have access to an AOL browser and can't justify the effort to support something that so few people use when there is a clear alternative.

• millie210
    millie210

I understand. I dont mean secure from an internet point of view...I mean secure from my laptop point of view.

No one in my family and others who may come across my laptop has any use for AOL (no surprise there huh?)

That is exactly WHY I like using it. It is password protected and no one has the password, so I feel secure logging in here without having to "explain" why at this point in my life.

I can access many websites and use reCaptcha on them. Our website here is the only one I cannot. 

Do you think perhaps I should just re register and use an AOL email and see if that helps?

While I hate that thought, it is better than using Chrome which doesnt offer the same degree of anonymity.

I know I can password secure Chrome but that alone will raise questions.

If we can try the fall back option you mentioned then good. If that doesnt work I will just try re registering through AOL.

• Simon
    Simon
    Do you think perhaps I should just re register and use an AOL email and see if that helps?

It would make no difference whatsoever.

If we can try the fall back option you mentioned then good. If that doesnt work I will just try re registering through AOL.

Don't bother, it has nothing at all to do with your problem.

If you are using AOL Browser then you're on 2005-era web browser technology which is wide open to malware - the security you think you have by being obscure is really an illusion. If someone is curious they could unlock it in seconds.

If you want truly private / hidden browsing then use a USB stick or switch to incognito mode. I don't buy the argument that it looks slightly different so doesn't work - if people can see your screen enough to make out the slight difference in chrome then they can see what you're browsing.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Hi Simon. 

The old format clearly showed the number of visits to each thread.    

On this new format I see where the number of posts to each thread is.  However the number of visitors to each thread escapes me.  Can you point it out to me or is it missing all together?

• Simon
    Simon
    On this new format I see where the number of posts to each thread is. Can you point it out to me or is it missing all together?

It's missing because it causes a write for every read - that is, something needs to be updated and changed just because someone looks at it.

I'm not sure what someone is supposed to do with the information that a page has been viewed 10,000 times ... you're viewing it, that's all that matters.

Just all part of simplifying things / concentrating on what really matters - readability of content etc...

• never a jw
    never a jw

Either I am a creature of habit or the new format is not as appealing to the user. I like seeing all at once several threads' titles as I did in the home page of the old format. Now I have to do some extra clicks to find what's going on, one thread/topic at a time. 

Thank you Simon for your hard work, but I have to voice my opinion. I like the old format better. I am not sure if I will adapt to the new format enough to visit and post as much as I did before. I have my doubts, I had this experience in a different website and I never visited that site again. Not a threat, only feedback

• Simon
    Simon

You can make the format very similar to the old one, anything you could do on the old site you can now do on this one but with more control and more ways to view things in whatever way suits you best. There should be no more clicks required than there were before - you can chose to see the same 20 topics per page as before and can click to go to the topic or the latest reply of a topic as you could before and can chose to have 20 posts per topic page as there were before.

There will always be some who don't like anything new but the changes are necessary to keep up with technology developments and the increasing number of users who visit using mobile devices (phones and tablets). I may make an "old style" theme at some point for those who like the old view but it's never going to be a high priority on the todo list I'm afraid.

The current site is still work in progress but is a better foundation to optimize and build new things on top of so I hope people will bear with possible minor inconveniences and learning curves in the meantime while things are improved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit