I'm donating blood for the first time ever next week......

by Soledad 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Soledad
    Soledad

My appointment is for 8/8 at 1pm. What should I expect? Will I pass out?

• urbanized
    urbanized

definitely eat breakfast before you go in. if you're relatively healthy, breakfast will assure that you indeed will not pass out. if you're offered juice and cookies before or after the procedure, eat that too.

• carla
    carla

I started giving blood again due to all this jw crap in my house. I figure someone has to give some blood to make up for all the blood jw's use up 'not using blood'! You will be fine. I think you will feel great afterwards! Good luck! carla

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thanks Soledad. You are saving lives.

--rebel8, whose life has been saved many times because of people like you

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Giving blood is easy as long as your fit and calm, do it on a quiet day, no exertions before or after. I find I actually feel quite good after giving.

I've given a few pints in my time but I've fallen out of the habit since they moved the location they use. I'll take this as a reminder to start up again.

http://www.blood.co.uk/

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have never given blood, but would like to, I am just nervous about it too.

• blondie
    blondie

Do you pass out when they do regular blood tests? Then, maybe.

Just don't look. The actual "giving" part takes about 10 minutes from insertion to removal of the needle. You have to wait about 15 minutes before you can go home just in case you are dizzy.

GOOD FOR YOU, Soledad!

• jgnat
    jgnat

The only fella I ever saw pass out was a three-hundred pounder well over six feet who probably bench pressed SUV's for fun. He was joshing around in a most macho way just before he hit the floor.

Take the cookies. Be nice to yourself afterwards.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The only fella I ever saw pass out was a three-hundred pounder well over six feet who probably bench pressed SUV's for fun. He was joshing around in a most macho way just before he hit the floor.

lmao! Too funny!

My experience with donating is that it is not a big deal. They do this all day every day and are very good at inserting the needle with little or no discomfort.

• TD
    TD

Good for you!

Definitely eat first. For some reason it shortens the donation time. (Perhaps the slightly elevated blood pressure?)

The needle is large, but it really doesn't hurt. (If you hate needles, just don't look)

You're supposed to sit down for 15 minutes or so right afterwards and have something to eat and drink because you might experience some dizzyness (When you stand up) --I do once in awhile and I consider myself in fairly good shape for an old geezer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit