New Light?

by jaffacake 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I have looked up the scripture (in its proper context). Firstly, it does not even mention "new light" at all! Secondly, who can read the whole chapter and honestly say this is about God's progressive revelation of informaton to an organisation appointed by Jesus to teach people truth in the last days?

(Proverbs 4:1-20) 4

Listen, O sons, to the discipline of a father and pay attention, so as to know understanding. 2 For good instruction is what I certainly shall give to YOU. My law DO not leave. 3 For I proved to be a real son to my father, tender and the only one before my mother. 4 And he would instruct me and say to me: "May your heart keep fast hold of my words. Keep my commandments and continue living. 5 Acquire wisdom, acquire understanding. Do not forget, and do not turn aside from the sayings of my mouth. 6 Do not leave it, and it will keep you. Love it, and it will safeguard you. 7 Wisdom is the prime thing. Acquire wisdom; and with all that you acquire, acquire understanding. 8 Highly esteem it, and it will exalt you. It will glorify you because you embrace it. 9 To your head it will give a wreath of charm; a crown of beauty it will bestow upon you." 10 Hear, my son, and accept my sayings. Then for you the years of life will become many. 11 I will instruct you even in the way of wisdom; I will cause you to tread in the tracks of uprightness. 12 When you walk, your pace will not be cramped; and if you run, you will not stumble. 13 Take hold on discipline; do not let go. Safeguard it, for it itself is your life. 14 Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. 15 Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. 16 For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling. 20 My son, to my words do pay attention.. . .

• Terry
    Terry

Yes, the only "meaning" in any sentence of language comes from the context.

The context tells us simply that the wiser you are the better your life is as a result.

The light is brighter and brighter.

It doesn't flicker on and off or blind you with bullshit.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It proves that the dubs are being blinded by the Light.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Some pioneer sister with the elder mister told me I got what it takes, she said sonny I'll turn you on to something strong if you place the Watchtower and Awake. (With all apologies to Manfred Mann)

• Honesty
    Honesty

H <<<<<<<< * bowing low and apologising to Mr. Mann *

• Maverick
    Maverick

When the WTS exposes the RF to new light does that mean the previous information is now old light or anti-light? If the old information is now anti-light is that not the same as darkness? So the WTS was teaching darkness before and is now teaching light? They pass it off on Jehovah revealing His truths in His due time, so the WTS puts the responsibility on God for the old dark teaching. They then in turn claim the credit for getting this new light to the RF and put the responsibility for telling the people in darkness about these new revelations from God on the RF. In time this new light will itself be old and therefore anti-light that will need to be explained away to the people in darkness, both the RF and the poor SOBs that pay any attention to them.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The Organisation makes its own apostates. As the religion evolves, only those who can adapt will stay with it (a sort of JW ''Survival of the fittest'' ). If you believe in the 'Old Light', you are surely apostate.The cult religion I was baptised into no longer exists. The beliefs have long since gone, prophesies failed/changed. I am not apostate. The WTBTS moved/moves its goalposts. God is constant.

• Mary
    Mary
    For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling

As has already been mentioned here, there is no way to interpret the above scripture as having anything to do with "progresive understanding" or "new light from Jehovah" as the turkeys in New York like to say. The context clearly shows that it's simply talking about the path of a righteous person and the path of a wicked person and the differences between the two. "Light" has always been associated with "righteousness" and "darkness" or "gloom" is of course, always associated with wickedness. ("..if once you start down the dark path; forever will it dominate your destiny..)

Of course, if we really wanted to apply the above scripture to the Borganization, I think verse 19 is a far more accurate description of them "stumbling" around the scriptures than verse 18. Funny how when they quote the above scripture to try and excuse away their pathetic interpretations, they ONLY read verse 18----they never continue on to verse 19, but I guess it's pretty obvious why.

• daystar
    daystar

The WTS's, like many religions', logic tends to work backwords. They very often hold a belief first, and then look for supporting evidence, effectively making it up or twisting a scripture to make it fit what they already believe, and ignoring any evidence that does not.

For example, I was raised, by the WTS, to believe that mankind has only been on earth for 7000 years. Scientific evidence to the contrary was touted as being incorrect, with absolutely no qualification. They couldn't say why carbon dating was wrong, but just that it was, because they already believed something contrary. This blew my mind and was part of my falling away.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

*** Zion's Watch Tower, Feb, 1881, p.3 ***

If we were following a man undoubtedly it would be different with us; undoubtedly one human idea would contradict another and that which was light one or two or six years ago would be regarded as darkness now; But with God there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning, and so it is with truth; any knowledge or light coming from God must be like its author. A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it...

Yes, and when the WTS then changes a previous teaching to a completely different teaching (publishing THAT new teaching as "truth"), then it proves they are the LIARS and they don't even own up to their guesswork in teaching these twisted beliefs.

They are imperfect as they will then say........imperfect liars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit