Fishy problem.

by mtbatoon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

sweet tee: It looks like he's safe for now.

Sad E: Thanks for the freezer tip, I've never had to play executioner and was weighing up a strait flush against a quick squash.

Scully: I'm a one tank hobbyist so he'll have to stay put. I'm keeping a close eye on the wound and it looks OK for now.

Insomniac: I hope so too, I need to pay more attention to the water in future.

Englishman : I'd love to have some discus and maybe a cichlid tank but if I was to pick a species to go for it would be fighting fish had one when I was a kid and even breed it, I think a nice sized compartmented tank will be in order soon. The local pet shop has just started stocking marine and I'm well tempted but I'll see how I manage with the basics first.

ofc & kls : behave and be nice.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    The local pet shop has just started stocking marine and I'm well tempted but I'll see how I manage with the basics first.

I've kept marine fish with some degree of success - eventually. Damsels are easy, clownfish aren't too bad. I eventually kept surgeon fish such as the Yellow tang, Teardrop tang and the Regal and Powder blue varieties. I made up my own food recipe consisting of mysis shrimp frozen together with spinach and then simply grated into the water at feeding time.

Enlishman.

• not the administrator
  • Crumpet
    Crumpet

since we're on the subject of fish then anyone got any ideas of what to with a goldfish that keeps floating upside down but otherwise is healthy?

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

From my limited knowledge of goldfish I believe this is common problem with their swim bladder, a sack used for buoyancy. I believe the fish will live but with a slightly reduced lifespan.

On an update for my own tank one of the Flying Foxes isn't looking too health at the momment Edited to add link http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/goldfish_and_koi/goldfish_swim_bladder.htm

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Forum Homepage | Active Topics | Member Directory

Fishy problem. by mtbatoon on 01-Aug-05 17:33

mtbatoon

You know what our biggest problem is? Monkey and I love to terrorize one another.

Lets face it when people see us on the same thread they all get a good laugh and isn't that what life is all about, making one another happy.

love Orangefatcat

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

thanks for that mbatoon - he's already lived at least 7 years so its not bad really. I think he's just playing dead!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

mtbatoon:

You did'nt introduce your new fish into the aquarium straight from the bag did you? The flying fox may be in some kind of shock.

When I had fish, I would first float the bag for a while to get the temperature the same as my tank and then gradually (over at least 1 hour) introduce a little of the aquarium water into the bag to avoid possible sudden changes in water conditions.

Methylene Blue is very good for treating shock in fish as well as being a good antiseptic treatment for your chewed guppies - you might want to give it a try, you'll need to turn off your filter pumps to do this.

ps think you're right on the goldfish swim bladder problem that crumpet was asking about.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

I always acclimatise my fish to the tank. Out of the two foxes I bought he was the less inquisitive and went strait behind the pump and I've hardly seen him. I'll get some Methylene Blue and also have the pet shop do a full test on my water. I don't expect him to be around when I get home tonight though. Heads up orangefatcat, kitty treat coming your way.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

np Crumpet, if you try the frozen peas tell us how it goes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit