Fishy problem.

by mtbatoon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

So I’ve had this fish tank set up for a year and a bit and the stock has slowly dwindled through one thing or another, the main being a bad water change when the pH dropped and some rather nasty silver tipped tetras who seem to have bullied themselves down to two in number. Current residences are a plecostomous, coolie loach and the two remaining tetras. On Saturday I bought five lady guppies and two flying foxes. On Sunday morning one of the guppies tail was a bit chewed and low and behold the biggest bully tetra has broken his mouth in some way that he can close it and the poor bugger can’t eat. Now I don’t like the tetras but I can’t just sent them along the holy U-bend to the great aquarium in the sky. If he can’t eat he’ll go anyway and will either provide a hearty meal or be a harbourer of infection. If he gets better, which I doubt, then he’ll be back to his old ways. So should I let him go naturally whilst spoiling the look of my tank with his gammy mouth or flush him merrily on his way?

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Sounds like a question for wise king solomon .

I feel the fish.

Let him live.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I say give the fish a chance!!

If you do need to send it to the great fishtank in the sky, I know this sounds really awful but it's said the most humane way to kill a fish is to put it in the freezer. It will die in seconds rather than risking the possibility of being slowly poisoned to death in the sewer. (I think freezing is how most universities do it too)

• Scully
    Scully

If you want him to survive, you should probably put him in a separate tank so the other fish won't try to put him out of his misery, and to keep the other fish healthy in the event that he does become ill with an infection.

If you want him to be out of his misery, do it quickly.

• kls
    kls

Well wire his jaw so he can eat

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I think we should do that to monkey, never mind that poor fishy.

but is there a tank big enough

orangefatcat loves fish as a snakin food. give my your address and I 'll put it out of its misery real quick...

ofc.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Sad Emo is right- put him in a baggy full of water, in the freezer. As fish are cold-blooded, he'll get very sluggish, then fall asleep, then his organs will shut down. Wait till he's good and frozen before you bury or flush him, to be sure he's gone. I'm sorry your tank is being so problematic- hope things improve for you soon.

• kls
    kls
    I think we should do that to monkey, never mind that poor fishy.

but is there a tank big enough

Geez , i wonder what would happen if we put cork up da kittie butt I don't know either but i wouldn't stick around to find out

• Englishman
    Englishman

Tetras are fin nippers and are closely related to piranha fish. Big fish eat little fish, so community tanks are in a constant state of flux. I've always kept my fish in a ratio of 1 gallon of water to 1 inch of fish which seems to reduce the amount of wear and tear fish inflict upon each other when packed in together more closely.

Take the plunge, get rid of the lot and keep discus fish or similar in a species tank.

Englishman.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

cool a tank of pirana's they would gobble you up so fast you don't stand a chance.

So if monkey falls into the Amazon River be prepared cuz they eat you up and spit you out of their mouths when they see how disgusting monkeys taste.

& ==

So there you have it. the steps of evolution all buggered up...

your loving pal

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit