Did you know you were being deceptive at the doors?

by truthseeker 23 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I was recently out with a sister on the ministry; she was talking to some security guard.

She has been witnessing to him, on and off for a few weeks.

Before she leaves, she gives him a question to "think about" and tells him "she'll be back next week" to give him the answer.

This security guard reads the Bible at work. The sister was talking about the resurrection hope.

She says, "Did you know the Bible promises that we can see our dead loved ones again?"

She finishes by saying, "Next week, we'll discuss what God requires of us in order to realize that hope."

I don't know if she was consciously aware of it, but it seemed terribly deceptive to me. To give one hope for a few weeks, wait till the bait is taken, and then say, "Oh, in order to have this hope there are things you have to do."

Now it's true (if you believe) that God never gives something for nothing.

But knowing the witness mentality, do these people know they are being deceptive? Do they think to themselves, "How can I get this person to the meetings?"

How often did you hear a dub say, "he/she didn't even realize they were having a bible study?"

Whether this deception is wilful or not, it is low and disgusting - to play on people's emotions until they make take the bait.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Yes, what you're saying always bothered me. I thought we should be telling what we really believed; that is, if you don't become a dub you're dead.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

I couldn't agree more. After I left, I was riddled with guilt about leading people to a mirage in the desert. I had a hard time coping with the lives I "saved." I prayed long and hard about that. I always felt guilty about tricking people into doing something or trying to get them to the kingdom hall. I felt like I was baiting them. "Just drink the Kool-Aid. It's cherry! MMMMMMM! Cherry!" In many ways these are advanced sales techniques. The hope is to appeal to their selfish side and then get them eventually to level off with the belief that we don't serve Jehovah for a reward. Duh... That's what I signed up for. I want a paradise. I want to play with the lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Whether this deception is wilful or not, it is low and disgusting - to play on people's emotions until they make take the bait.

Let's just pretend this person is a paid employee of Acme Brand Widgets. If their job is to go out and do everything possible to sell their widget, they're just doing their job right? Is it willful? Yes, they have a choice as to what type of career they follow, but if this is their choice...they're just doing their job.

There isn't too much difference here, other than a couple things. One, JWs believe they'll get a lump sum payment in the New World called everlasting life. They're just doing their job. I'm not saying it's cool or onboard, as I know we look at JWs the same way we look at those kids that try to sell magazine subscriptions to go to camp...they're annoying as hell. Two, when we turn down the kid selling magazine subscriptions to go to camp, they don't call us goats or think we're going to die in Armageddon. Most JWs that walk away from our doors without selling us something believe (and sometimes tell us) that we'll die in Armageddon.

It's sad really.

• Purza
    Purza

When I was younger my dad would say at the doors: "we are not here to change your religion. . . just to give you something to think about".

I remember asking him when I was around 10 y/o -- "but don't we want them to become JWs -- that is why we go door to door? Why did you say we are not here to change your religion?"

He said it puts people at ease.

Sounded awfully "deceptive" to me.

Purza

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I perceived it as putting our best foot forward while minimizing the "bad" stuff.

JWs find it very easy to "lie" about serious matters because they are not well informed to begin with and therefore start shooting their mouth off. Later on they can just say: "I'm sorry, I was just mistaken"

• thom
    thom

"I remember asking him when I was around 10 y/o -- "but don't we want them to become JWs -- that is why we go door to door? Why did you say we are not here to change your religion?"
    I used to say exactly the same thing, Purza.
    Now, if I can get my foot in the door, I can sell just about anything.

• thom
    thom

Oops, pasted the wrong line. But close enough.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

at the end (last year) i knjew i was being deceptive. that's also why i didn't mind lying about my field service time, and going straight from the group out for breakfast.

swee-ut!

TS

• Honesty
    Honesty

Did you know you were being deceptive at the doors?
    It took about 12 years for me to figure out that, yes, I was deceptively deceiving the people. That's when I started the fade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit