Kiddy Comfort Food?

by Frannie Banannie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was a kid I stopped letting my mom pack my lunch. She would always fix something like: A Peanut Butter Sandwich, a banana and a pickle. <----- Wondering WTF?!?!

Sometimes I wonder if she was trying to get me to be an independent responsible person, or if she was just insane.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

My mom used to make New England boiled dinner when she could afford it. She'd get a big hunk of ham and simmer it on the stove all damn day. At some point, she'd add turnips, potatoes, carrots, and onions, all in big chunks. The ham was so tender, and all the veggies had the good hammy flavor. Lordy.

My grandmother used to make me a pitcher of half lemonade, half iced tea, all syrupy sweet, when I'd stay with her. Maybe it's not terribly unique, but it still reminds me of her and the good times we had at her house.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    half lemonade, half iced tea, all syrupy sweet

That sounds very good!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Peeps

Oreos

cannolis

ravioli

Italian bread with butter

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    half lemonade, half iced tea, all syrupy sweet
    That sounds very good!

Actually, I've heard this drink called an "Arnold Palmer". I have lots of favorite comfort food. I remember my mom making open faced grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster. Then she'd stick a big slice of beefsteak tomato on top. Yum! Or peanut butter and banana and maple syrup sandwiches. Or on Sunday mornings she'd make homemade corn bread (which was really more like corn cake it was so sweet) and honeybutter to spread on it. *sigh* Man, leftovers for dinner suddenly don't sound that appetizing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Oh, and Creamsicles

refrigerated biscuit dough deep fried and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar

hot chocolate

coffee ice cream (yep, loved it as a kid)

Arthur Treacher's fried fish and hushpuppies

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Ohhh...and I forgot my grandmother! She used to make these thick homemade noodles with chicken and gravy over lumpy mashed potatoes. Man, I forgot about that.

*tummy growling*

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    When I was a kid I stopped letting my mom pack my lunch. She would always fix something like: A Peanut Butter Sandwich, a banana and a pickle. <----- Wondering WTF?!?!

Sometimes I wonder if she was trying to get me to be an independent responsible person, or if she was just insane.

LOL, Else! What other options did you have? Was there something else YOU could have fixed for your lunch, if you had a mind to?

My mom used to make New England boiled dinner when she could afford it. She'd get a big hunk of ham and simmer it on the stove all damn day. At some point, she'd add turnips, potatoes, carrots, and onions, all in big chunks. The ham was so tender, and all the veggies had the good hammy flavor. Lordy.

OMG, Insomn. That sounds scrumptious. I just remembered we used to buy something in Maryland they called Hambeans, when we lived there. It's just a pkg of pintos ready to soak and cook, but with a packet of ham flavoring, so if you didn't have any ham, you could still have well-seasoned beans. Do you know they just got that product down here 40 YRS LATER!!! How's that for progress, eh? Southern rednecks! Ya gotta love 'em.

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Peeps, Oreos, cannolis, ravioli, Italian bread with butter

Rebel8, I love all of those....but what are "peeps"? Never heard of that.

I remember my mom making open faced grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster. ; Then she'd stick a big slice of beefsteak tomato on top. ; Yum! ; Or peanut butter and banana and maple syrup sandwiches. ; Or on Sunday mornings she'd make homemade corn bread (which was really more like corn cake it was so sweet) and honeybutter to spread on it.

Billygoat, tht sounds so good. I can't find any beefsteak tomatoes around here. Someone told me they're not growing 'em any more. WAAHHHHH! I didn't like my fam's cornbread recipe, cause they didn't put any sugar in it. They only thing it's good for is a great cornbread stuffing for turkey.

Frannie

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My Swedish stepfather used to make a spaghetti sauce that would have passed muster in any household in Italy, I'm sure. He started with Contadina tomato paste, fresh Roma tomatoes and a couple of heads, not cloves, of garlic. Somewhere in there he fried up a couple of pounds of Italian fennel sausage. He would add more garlic as needed. Over the course of eight hours, a miracle occurred and produced about a gallon of deliciousness – thick, bright red, and bright-flavored, too. It hit ALL the right flavor spots.

Today I can approximate it with Classico spaghetti sauce fortified with fennel sausage and extra garlic, but it's still not quite the same.

My (French/Scots/Irish) mother made killer enchiladas, too – never with ground meat, as I remember; usually chicken. She drenched them with either Old El Paso or El Tapatio canned enchilada sauce before baking.

Oh, and my mother's turkey stuffing! Take sage, onions, and a pan of cornbread; fry up a couple of pounds of little link sausages, drain, break up the sausage and cornbread and mix everything together. She also made cowboy cake for Sunday breakfast - it's a spice cake baked in a pie plate and topped with a spiced streusel.

Store food: Kraft macaroni and cheese; ham sandwiches – made with mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip or butter!

gently f eral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit