Kiddy Comfort Food?

by Frannie Banannie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

What was yall's favorite comfort food when you were a child? I used to know a boy who brought sandwiches to school for lunch that were made of FUDGE w/ PECANS on white bread! Every day! I was soooo jealous.

Sometimes it's silly things that'd be meaningless to someone else. I used to love the p-nut butter w/smashed bananas my g/mom made for me. A favorite treat at Christmas that she made was dates, stuffed with pecans or walnuts and dredged in powdered sugar. She also was diabetic and kept her fridge stocked with Dr. Peppers and Hershey bars. She let me have all I wanted.

My favorite candies were Butternut bars (can't find 'em anymore), Butterfingers and lemon drops (hard candy). I also really enjoyed saltine crackers with butter on 'em.....and a bowl of Cheerios.

What was yall's?

Frannie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ooooo yah.. campbells chicken noodle soup.. we were poor as dirt but if we got sick mom got us a can or two of soup... always a treat

• Soledad
    Soledad

my grandmother's stuffed roti. if you don't know what this is, it's unleavened bread with some sort of filling (like cheese, veggies or meat) and baked on a tawa (sort of like a pancake griddle). there isn't a place out there that can replicate exactly what grandma made, but when the mood hits, it's to the Indian restaurant I go!

once grandma wasn't around any longer, I liked chicken w/rice or that canned chef Boyardee's stuff. to this day I can't pass by the canned food isle and not feel like a 2nd grader again.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Anything as long as it was packed full of sugar, additives, preservatives or drenched in fat, but hey, I'm still alive

• horrible life
    horrible life

My great-grandmothers real Toll House Choc. Chip cookies. and saltines with a butter, sugar, cinnamon mixture on them. HL

I sure do miss her.

• kls
    kls

Brye but not the Brye you all think of . My grandmother was from Holland and would make a concoction of flour ,pork and spices ,then we would stir and stir then refrigerate till hard . The next day my granny would fry it up like bacon and i just loved it and still do.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I love pancakes with real maple syrup and bacon with a great big huge glass of ice cold milk.

that is the ultimate in comfort food for me.

second, is chicken wings, finger licken picken chicken. served with creamy coleslaw and a glass of ice cold beer. yummy....

And no I am not pregnant....

ofc.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    campbells chicken noodle soup.. we were poor as dirt but if we got sick mom got us a can or two of soup... always a treat

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh, Candidlynuts. Mom always made homemade soup, so when we got sick, she gave us Campbell's chicken noodle, too! Great stuff! Brings back memories

my grandmother's stuffed roti. if you don't know what this is, it's unleavened bread with some sort of filling (like cheese, veggies or meat) and baked on a tawa (sort of like a pancake griddle). there isn't a place out there that can replicate exactly what grandma made, but when the mood hits, it's to the Indian restaurant I go!

Sounds so good, Soledad. Reminds me of my Italian g/mom's zippoli. It's a yeasty French bread dough separated into little balls and stuffed with either olives, mushrooms, cheese, sausage or sardines (I substitute roast beef for that last one now), then deep-fried, till they puff up and turn golden brown. You put 'em in a big basket and no one knows what they've got till they bite into it. Great brunch eatin' .

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    My great-grandmothers real Toll House Choc. Chip cookies.

Hor.Life, this reminds me how my g/g/mom used to bake up scads of sugar cookies and keep 'em in large apothecary jars in front of the big bay window in her kitchen. We ate 'em ALL.

My grandmother was from Holland and would make a concoction of flour ,pork and spices ,then we would stir and stir then refrigerate till hard . The next day ;my granny would fry it up like bacon and i just loved it and still do.

kls, this reminds me of when my mom used to fix what she called "Cincinnati Chicken" for supper. It was a food from depression days, when money and, of course, meat were scarce. She'd take a chunk of salt pork, rinse it, dip it in egg, dredge it in flour and fry it golden brown. It'd still be tender, but didn't taste so fatty. Then she'd make a pan of cream gravy to go over the huge homemade biscuits she served with it. YUMMMM!

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I love pancakes with real maple syrup and bacon with a great big huge glass of ice cold milk.

that is the ultimate in comfort food for me.

second, is chicken wings, finger licken picken chicken. served with creamy coleslaw and a glass of ice cold beer. yummy....

And no I am not pregnant....

LOL, ofc! Me, too! But I think my very favorite food has always been home fried chicken (mom's) and homemade macaroni and cheese. There was a supermarket near where I lived, when I last lived in Dallas. Their deli had chicken and mac & cheese JUST LIKE MY MOM'S! I used to go there most afternoons and buy some for me and the kiddies. Finally, my oldest asked me if we just had to have it every day. I didn't realize we were doing that

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit