Is there a new " write to a disfellowshipped person" campaign going on?

by glenwoodswoman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

My daughter( 28 yrs old now, she disassociated herself when I got df'd---she was 15) received a letter from my ex (her step father). He writes about missing her and wantiong to know what is going on in her lifeetc. Of courese, the disclaimer reads: " If you ever want to return to Gods organization, please call me, becasue thats the only way we can ever have a normal relationship." BASTARD! He has not spoken to her in 15years and outside of a brief visit a few years ago when my grand daughter was born, and then to only tell her the same crap

Since the WBTS is the decsion maker in his life, I am thinking that he must have received " permission", either though some article or other avenue they use to initiate contact with such a evil df'd person.

anybody know of any such campaign?

Glenwoodswoman

• rebel8
    rebel8

Haven't heard anyone mention such a campaign. I'm not DFd and no one bothers to contact me, ever.

• Rod P
    Rod P

glenwoodswoman,

I tend to think that he stepdad did that on his own.

AS far as the WTBTS/GB is concerned, a Disfellowshipped person is DEAD in the eyes of Jehovah. I just don't think they would permit or endorse taking any kind of initiative towards someone who is DF'ed. A JW is not to associate with, have fellowship with, or even talk to a DF'ed person. However, if you are a family member, then they will allow a certain minimum amount of conversation, but it must be about the important "business at hand", but must not be anything to do with spiritual matters. A DF'ed person should imagine that the Battle of Armageddon has already taken place, and now the good little JW's are there in the New World. And where are you? In the grave, and out of existence. It's kind of like the prisoners who are on death row in the USA, and as they walk to their death chamber, the prison warden announces "Dead Man Walking." That, I think, is how a DF'ed person should see themselves in the eyes of all JW's.

Now, you have mentioned that you were disfellowshipped about 13 years ago, and that, at the time, your daughter disassociated herself (at age 15). The first question I have is, "Was she a baptized JW at the time?" If so, then I think it highly probable that she would have been disfellowshiped for apostasy. If she did not write a formal letter to the Elders about her disassociation, and was not formally disfellowshipped, they may have simply regarded your daughter as "inactive" as a result of your disfellowshipment. In other words, perhaps they did not consider your daughter responsible or apostate.

If that is the case, then perhaps your ex-husband does not feel like he is breaking any rules by writing to her, and so is now reaching out to her in a letter.

It is hard to assess this, when we don't know all the facts surrounding the case of your daughter.

Rod P.

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

During the convention on Saturday afternoon there was plea te come back te organisation.

• Rod P
    Rod P

johnny_was_good,

Interesting.

Was the speaker suggesting that the members of the JW audience therefore start contacting all those who were disfellowshipped, or who had disassociated themselves?

Who was he addressing his message to? Was he hoping there were Disassociated or Disfellowshipped people in the audience, and so he was encouraging them to come back?

Just asking.

Rod P.

• Simon
    Simon

I dunno, we have had contact with several people on both sides of the family who previously wouldn't come near us. It looks to us like some new commandment has come down from on high, probably verbally from the platform.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, one of the convention talks was on the subject of encouraging lost sheep back to the fold. For die-hard literalist JW's, they may take that to mean that it is time to remind loved ones to return. I think the society is also targetting seniors and pre-teens, and discouraging higher education. These are all easier conversions than regular door-to-door work. As a side benefit, if the seniors old enough, the WTBTS may also receive a nice inheritance on their way out.

• blondie
    blondie

DF'd JWs are supposed to be only contacted by the elders once a year to see if they want to come back.

Of course, some JWs continue to have contact with DF'd family members despite the rules, using the excuse of "necessary family business."

Other JWs treat inactive family members and friends as if they were DF'd or DA'd. I think based on the reports here on JWD, that it is this group of people JWs are officially being encouraged by the WTS not to cut off completely.

But then your father may have interpreted it that he could write a letter to a DF'd person.

So many rules, written and unwritten, and changing all the time. How can a "faithful" JW keep it straight.

Blondie

• sf
    sf

the only way we can ever have a normal relationship

Normal?

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

sKally

• Rod P
    Rod P

Is it possible that the Society is now beginning to get more than a little concerned over how many are leaving the Organization.

Perhaps economics is a factor, as each JW probably represents an important financial contribution or consideration over time. For example, banks spend a great deal of time and effort and money "recruiting" new customers, because they know statistically that each new account represents something like about $500 a year in new business (even if it's only service charges on a chequing or savings account).

Could it also be that the Society is thinking twice about their harsh "shunning policy", and what we are now witnessing is an introductory strategy to ease the R & F into an eventual policy of greater tolerance?

Rod P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit