What are your favourite vegeatables?

by greendawn 42 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Nutritionists tell us that vegetables contain a wide variety of substances that are beneficial to our health, and these are not vitamins and minerals, they are called phytochemicals.

Given the fact that in the western world people consume a great deal of industrially processed food eating a lot of fresh veg (and fruit) can only be beneficial. Do you consume a lot of these? How do you like your veggies?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I enjoy most veggies and fruits. I truly dislike those miniature green cabbages from outerspace - the brussel spout! Ugh!

We try to eat a lot of fresh salads, and winter and summer I use a lot of broccoli and cabbage, too.

Summer, it's large fresh salads with grilled meat,

Winter, it's soups and stews and steamed veggies.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jws? Ah, sorry, it's what came to mind first. I like brocolli, if it's well cooked. I eat a lot of spuds, but they are mostly starch. Turnips, now there is a strong veg. Also garlic.

S

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I like any veggie. I like them cooked or raw. Steamed is the best, and hate it when people overcook them and they turn to mush. Spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, okra, eggplant, turnips, beets, I could go on and on. I have never had a veggie I didn't like. Yummm. I think I will steam me a butternut tonight, and drizzle it with butter and maple syrup, and just a dash of cinnamon.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Fried Rice, Hawaiian style:

Leftover rice from the last meal -5-6 cups

sirfry sweet onion until tender

Add any veggie you can find leftover in the fridge, or diced cabbage, green beans, peas, etc

Add (un clumped ) rice

Diced and pre-fried SPAM - Low Sodium Low Fat is excellent (for Spam)
    (or any leftover mean, or no leftover meat!)

1/2 C soy sauce

2 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)

several dashes sesame oil (optional)

2 or 3 eggs beaten

Stir well until eggs cook/set

Serve with diced onion chives on top, and Soy or Huli Huli sauce on the side

Feeds 4 people as main dish, or 8 people as side dish!

• luna2
    luna2

I like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, Italian green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms (not sure if they count), zucchini or summer squash, beets, carrots, celery, peppers (of any type except the really hot ones), spinach....that's the summer fav list anyhow.

I'm go in cycles with my eating. Right now I'm doing well, eating healthy, in-season stuff and enjoying it. When I get stressed I tend to eat crap and not want to go to the bother of cooking or preparing my own meals.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Well, my personal favorite is the guacamole... oh, wait.

Seriously, I enjoy almost any vegetable cooked with proper respect and attention: that is, not cooked to death. Most canned vegetables are inedible for this reason.

One of my childhood delicacies was pearl onions simmered in butter. This was back in the days when both items were cheap enough for a family living in a basement apartment.

My personal favorites are tomatoes, beets, and eggplant (I haven't figured out how to cook it yet). I also like brussels sprouts; you just can't overcook them, that's all. Put some ranch dressing on them.

However, nobody will ever convince me that iceberg lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, and celery are edible. I really don't see the point of celery. And I don't eat much salad because I'm really not into raw leaves.

gently feral

• talesin
    talesin

I like most of my veggies cooked el dente and some raw.

Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, peas, kale, swiss chard, collard greens, beets and beet greens, garlic, broccoflower, cauliflower, artichokes. Mixed greens are nice for a salad, but leave out the iceberg, thanks!

I also love all fungi (mushrooms) and pretty much any type of gourd ,,, watermelon, squash, pumpkin,,, mmmm.

GF, I too am a big fan of the 'guacamole', though I also enjoy my avocado sliced and sprinkled with salt.

tal

• Englishman
    Englishman

I like to roast veggies. Cauliflower, brocolli, carrots etc can be coated in olive oil that has been mixed with garlic, salt and pepper. Just roast on medium/high for 30 minutes for crunchy and tasty veg.

yum!

Englishman.

• Soledad
    Soledad

all except broccoli and cauliflower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit