just read 'crisis of conscience' by Ray Franz...

by Lynne Y 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• vitty
    vitty

I read CoC and in search of christian freedom, both were fantastic books and i started fading soon after reading them. I often wonder how many JWs would or have stayed in the borg after reading those books ?

The question is how do you get them inĀ“to the hands of family and friends still trapped in?

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

I just finished reading it yesterday. To me, it didn't tell me anything new or surpising about Jehovah's Witnesses or the Watchtower Organisation, but it brought in full crystal clear detail the thoughts i already had. I was surprised to find that Ray wasn't bitter and vindictive, but presented very well-documented and researched facts.

To me, even from the outside, the society has always seemed legalistic and cold, eager to find faults, which is precisely the opposite to how Jesus formed Christianity. However, many people don't see that perspective, because they are not in a position of imtimacy with the leaders of the organisation. Maybe it's because my father is a particularly cold and legalistic elder that i've been exposed to so much of the society's "dirty linin". This insight into the central core of the organisation was like opening a box and seeing with my own eyes what i already knew was there.

There is an immediate questioning of loyalty as soon as you find you cannot conscienciously agree with even a minor, insignificant doctrinal matter (the definition of the Greek word naos strikes me as an example). It has always amazed me, that the society says that if we read the bible alone, without their guidence, we will believe something different. This is in fact an admission, that the "Truth" is not solely based on the bible, and that the bible does need embellishing. The definition of "sons" at Romans 8: 15 is also a stiking example of scripture taken completely out of context but that i'm sure not many of Jehovahs Witnesses have noticed before, unless they have read the whole chapter or even the whole book to discern its real meaning.

One particular point he made in the book was as to the definition of the "deeper things of the scriptures". I had always been interested in the complex prophecies, and many witnesses believe thosecomplex prophecies and intricate explanations to be the "deeper things"... but Ray put forward, by using Matthew 7:12, the proposition that the deeper things are actually love and kindness, putting into practice what you have read. Although i may not be a christian and not be religious, this is a point that will stick with me for a long time.

• out of the box
    out of the box

dorayakii,

I enjoyed reading your take on this topic. I like the way you think deeply about things, you take me on a clear path to your thought process and convictions. What a privilage you had to be able to see into the workings of a cong. You must understand how strange it is to see all that behavior and things being swept under the rug from the lower ranks! Thanks.

out of the box

• rebel8
    rebel8
    apostatizing

Well they got that word wrong. The correct word is apostasizing. (kidding)

They are right, the dictionary says apostate means leaving a group or set of beliefs. But that's ALL it means. It does not mean condemned to die, demonized, evil, etc.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Yes....how to get this wonderful book into the hands of a still practicing family member. My father, for one, is deeply convinced that he's got the truth. Well, he caught me reading it and started asking me why I would find it interesting to read what an apostate's got to say on old dates and such. I don't remember what I answered, but I don't think it was really convincing. I would give anything for him to at least read the book, before getting all worked up...any suggestions?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi Lynn, welcome to the boards, and I'm glad you had an opportunity to check things out from a different perspective. The book is a mist read for anyone to recieve a proper healing from the horrors of being under the thumb of the WTBTS.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Isn't the book wonderful? I know it helped me..

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I was surprised to find that Ray wasn't bitter and vindictive, but presented very well-documented and researched facts.

And in my experience, thats exactly the opposite of what active jw's will say he is and does. And they don't even bother reading it for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit