I love Liver! What's your favorite recipe?

by Rod P 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

To me liver in scrumpdilli-i-icious! I do not like pork liver. I like beef (young or old). I remember when my mom would cook a chicken or turkey...each of us had our fav's when it came to organ meat. I LOVED the liver, my sis loved the gizzard, a brother loved the heart...etc.

My brother (who I cannot stand to this day) hated liver. I did/still do feel sorry for him. He HATED liver. We were brought up in the days where you ate what you were given. I remember nights that this poor kid HAD to finish his liver meal. He would sit there with liver in his mouth for hours. I mean....HOURS! If he could get it down it would come right up again.Can't blame him. At the time mom thought everything needed to be overcooked. Liver in our house was a piece of shoeleather.

I first cook bacon, take that off the stove and add onions until transucent (sp). I dredge liver in egg, then in flour with salt/pepper, then egg and flour mixture again. I then cook it very quickly (30 seconds or so) on one side then turn it over and cook for about another 30 seconds. Add mashed potatoes and peas and I am in heaven!!!

• Rod P
    Rod P

Wow, you all seem to have a lot of good stories to tell about liver.

Yes, it really is all about how liver is cooked. It must be cooked very quickly on a very high, searing heat, for about 3 or 4 minutes. (Some do it in about 2 minutes, but that is way too rare for me, and you see the blood running all over your plate when it's that rare.)

High heat for a short time = very tender liver, with a wonderful flavour.

Frying for 7 or 8 minutes or longer = Shoe Leather and a very unpleasant experience.

I don't really like liver all by itself. There is definitely something missing if you don't eat each tender morsel with some bacon and fried onions, mixed with some nice brown gravy. That rounds out the flavour. I think liver was meant to be eaten with something, not all by itself, and that's why I think some of you may have been turned off liver when you were younger.

There is a fantastic liver recipe that I am going to try and find, where you mix up the onions and bacon with flour and water, plus some gravy type flavouring, which gives it a thick consistency, something like mushroom soup out of a can. Then you put strips of liver in a casserole dish and pour this "sauce" over the liver, and bake it in the oven. Absolutely divine, and it takes away some of that strong taste than many people dislike. I'll get back to you all on this one.

One of the best chicken liver dishes I ever had was from a Chinese restaurant.

I also love liver pate on bread or ritz cracker during party time.

I also discovered I just don't like duck liver, even though it is served in fancy restaurants as an expensive delicacy.

One thing that bothers me about organ meats. Apparently when the animal goes to the slaughter house, they are led down this long narrow corral in single file, and at the front of the line each animal is hit over the head with a huge mallot (to stun it), after which they come and slice off the head. (I suppose that makes it more painless and merciful.) But can you imagine the sheer terror the animals waiting in line must feel? Seeing their "brothers and sisters" being knocked off like that!

Anyway, I have read comments that when an animal experiences fear and terror, this releases a lot of toxins into their blood stream, which then gets concentrated in the organs like liver. Therefore, we would be eating the meat that has the most toxins. I just don't know whether there is any truth to this, but I do wonder about it!

Rod P.

• FMZ
    FMZ

And the award of fastest thread killer goes to.... Rod P!

hehe

FMZ

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Well, maybe it would be okay with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Take the liver(beef or chicken)roll in flour, quick fry in bacon grease, then feed it to the dog...yup. that's how I like my liver...funny thing is I used to love goose liver sandwichies or goose liver spread on saltines.

• delilah
    delilah

ROFL......KLS...did you ever find out WHAT the dog dragged home???? Megadude, I think liver should stay in cat food as well!!! When mom made liver for dinner, my brothers and I would make sure the dog was sitting near us, we'd take each piece, and feed it to the dog when mom wasn't looking....GAG!!! I had a hard time cooking it in the restaurant when I was working as a cook.

Delilah

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I love Liver! What's your favorite recipe?

Flush the liver down the garbage disposal. Then drop a small atom bomb in same disposal. Now, take a nice prime rib, coat it with sea salt, turn your oven to 350 F. Oh, nevermind. I eat liver, but only in moderation. Something tells me it ain't right to eat an organ whose sole purpose is to collect poisons and somehow (MAYBE) neutralize them.

What if those livers didn't neutralize all that stuff? Then you'd be eating all that poison. Besides, liver TASTES like poison. That's why people slather it in onions, bacon, fermaldahyde, DDT, paint thinner and lots of other stuff. If it had a decent taste to begin with, people wouldn't have to work so hard to hide it. Prime rib tastes like heaven. Prime ribs don't have to process poison, you know.

Farkel

• out of the box
    out of the box

When my dad was in the Army in Alaska he was a cook for a while on base. He used to fix the liver for the guys and they could not get enough of it! He fried the liver with cut up apples. After the liver is cooked, throw away the apple pieces because they will have absorbed the blood and liver taste. The liver will taste fresh. I cook it this way and like it better than the heavier taste with bacon or gravy.

out of the box

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Prime rib tastes like heaven. Prime ribs don't have to process poison, you know.

OH ABSOLUTELY 100% TOTAL AGREEMENT

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

While the below are recipes for using placenta simply replace with liver and voila you have dinner. BLEECH!

Placenta Spaghetti:
    Cut meat of 3/4 placenta into bite size pieces, then brown quickly in 1 tbl. butter plus 1 tbl. oil. Then add 1 large can tomato puree, 2 cans crushed pear tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbl. molasses, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbl. rosemary, 1 tsp. ea. of salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Placenta Stew:
    Meat of 3/4 placenta in bite size chunks, 1 potato (cubed), 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 2 carrots, 3 ribs celery, 1 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 small onion. Dredge meat in 1 tbl. flour mixed with 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika, pinch of cloves, pinch of pepper, 6-8 crushed coriander seeds. Saute meat in 2 tbl. oil, then add vegetables (cut up) and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to full boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

Placenta Pizza:
    Grind placenta. Saute in 2 tbl. olive oil with 4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp. fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme, and 1/4 cup of wine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, then use with your favorite home made pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping.

EvilForce - Of the happily vegetarian class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit