Why do people feel they need religion in their life ???

by run dont walk 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Why? Because so many people look around themselves & think "There has got to be more to life than this. I get up in the morning & work my ass off all day & no one appreciates what I do. Surely, I will be rewarded if I am good enough."

Bob Marley said it best: "If you know what life is worth, you will look for yours on earth."

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

My 2 cents on the matter is that it is like a child that needs to have some sort of structure. Religion provides some structure and lessens the accountability for the actions one takes. Check out Texas gal Terrie Hendrix. She has this song, "everybody wants to use God, when there's nobody but themselves to blame."

So seeing we have 3 stages (if one popular theory is correct) of developement and some huge percentage of us never get out of stage two...My thought is that there-ya-go, the percentage that are stunted (stuck in stage two) is far larger than the very small percentage who actually look outside how the world affects them, and so therefore they are still like a child. They need someone to tell them what to do, and someone else to blame.

Did you know 7/10ths of all percentages are made up on the spot?

LMAO! Cheers

• Frog
    Frog

Relgion in such societies in a cultural belief, continuing it's practice is a way of respecting your heritage and ancestors.

Religion gives tangible meaning, collective shared belief, and acceptance. Organised religion is all about social stratification, with many aspiring to fit into their position. In developing countries, such as India and West Africa relgious practices are very much intertwined with everyday life. People tend to hold on tightly to their beliefs to explain away their suffering, or hope of a better transmigrant future not wrought with the life they now have.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

sweet t. They might worship bananas?? - ah that was lame

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    why not consider that some people want to express their beliefs with like-minded individuals?

This may be the case for some, but it seems for most that their faith is based on a fear of death. What's the message most commonly used by the JWs to get converts? "Worship Jehovah so you can 'live forever' in paradise on Earth".

That's all the f*ckers talk about. The end of the world, 'surviving' the end times, 'living' forever. Kissing this unreasonable god's butt.

What about other Christian sects? 'Repent' so you can make it to Heaven (which is the same thing as living forever). With all the ridiculous restrictions proposed by Judeo/Christianity, I can't imagine anyone following it to "express" themselves in any way; maybe "repress" themselves would be more accurate. It's a sham. So many people wasting their lives because they think they're going to live forever, when in reality they're going to be just as dead as everyone else when their time comes.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Why do people feel they need religion in their life ???

Do they? Maybe before discussing why, it would be good to establish first if they really do. When I talked with many of my collegae, schoolfriends etc, I came to the conclusion that they really did not need any religion. Most did not even need any spirituality. When growing up as a child of atheists parents, many of those have no any need fro it at all. They are happy without it.

So maybe, it is not really a born in thing, but a cultural thing. Or the inherited qualities that can lead to religion and did it in the past are so broad that it can be fulfilled in many things, some spiritual some not.

Danny

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Danny: I reckon one doesn't have to try establish if they do need it. If you look at humanity the sheer numbers of people in religion speak for themselves, that they FEEL the need too.

And I reckon what the thread is about is not a select few peoples' feelings, but on mankind in general.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Danny: I reckon one doesn't have to try establish if they do need it. If you look at humanity the sheer numbers of people in religion speak for themselves, that they FEEL the need too.

And I reckon what the thread is about is not a select few peoples' feelings, but on mankind in general.

I am speaking about mankind in general. I hink in this region where I am in, the majority feels they do not need religion.
    I think it is much more elusive then religion that people need. It is something bigger, something that can be provided by religion, but that can also be provided by other means. It is maybe not more then a feeling of needed to belonging somewhere, a felling of a purpose and destination in life.
    Why religion have so many numbers is because religion is the easiest form of this thing that humans need.

I think this is very much important to the discussion in this thread.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit