Why do people feel they need religion in their life ???

by run dont walk 37 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

After growing up a JW all my life, I have no clue why people would want to be part of any religion.

I don't get the Mormon stuff

I don't understand the Catholic Faith

I really don't understand the Muslim beliefs and all their levels and the suicide bombers

When I die, I hope I get a chance to tell God/Jesus what I really think of them.

Guess I'm on the highway to hell (AC/DC)

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Religion is the opium for the poor and unloved.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

To answer the subject question, I believe God created humans with the need to worship something/someone. This is why there's some type of religion in all human societies.

DY

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

One of my favorites.....

"Religion is the opiate of the masses." - Karl Marx

DL76

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

One of my favorites.....

"Religion is the opiate of the masses." - Karl Marx

DL76

Comrade,

Don't be so selfish by keeping possesions and money. Share the wealth, comrade, or the party will take it from you.

• startingover
    startingover

RDW

I can't understand it either. Don't think I ever will.

If the JW's translated it correctly as the common grave of mankind, it's rather funny thinking about all these people and their religions, because I am fairly sure that in reality everyone is on that highway with you.

• daystar
    daystar

As an escape from the the realities of existence.

"What men usually ask for when they pray to God is, that two and two may not make four." - Russian proverb

• Sirona
    Sirona

Oh stop talking bullshit everyone!

If by religion you mean belonging to an organised group, then why not consider that some people want to express their beliefs with like-minded individuals? They may like the "services" they attend and enjoy the social contact. Whislt there are some religious groups who do seek to control members, that doesn't stand for all of them.

If by religion you mean those who have spirituality, and by that I loosely mean a belief in a higher power, then these cannot be condemned along with "organised groups". One can have spirituality and not belong to any controlling group, and that spirituality needn't be based upon taking an old book literally.

It really annoys me when non-religious people (usually complete atheists) delight in looking down upon those with beliefs....almost saying "oh you only believe because you are a poor deluded fool!" or "you are just controlled by the religion you are in". Well heres some news: some people choose to believe and they are neither foolish nor deluded.

Why can't you all just grow up and realise the differences that exist, without putting people down?

Sirona

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    It really annoys me when non-religious people (usually complete atheists) delight in looking down upon those with beliefs....almost saying "oh you only believe because you are a poor deluded fool!" or "you are just controlled by the religion you are in". Well heres some news: some people choose to believe and they are neither foolish nor deluded.

Why can't you all just grow up and realise the differences that exist, without putting people down?

Sirona

Sirona,

Don't take offense. No one is looking down on anyone else here, it's just a valid question that many will have differrent views on.

I think it's in our nature to need some thing to believe in, that's not a bad thing, it's when what you believe in that becomes harmful to your person or others that I take issue with.

DL76

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Why do people feel they need religion in their life ???

anthropologically speaking, people feel a need to worship because at some time in our distant past, those personality traits were highly valued. religious belief, even if only small and tribal, kept the tribe unified and together through tough times. the ones who survived, and were able to pass their genes (and memes) on, were the ones that kept the tribal status quo, where knowledge about mysterious phenomena was handed down from the tribal elders. there were rewards for upholding traditional belief system of elders in the tribal setting. those who did so were rewarded with wives. those who wanted to do things their own way, were ostracized (or left on their own), and often may not have survived long enough to pass any genes on.

don't get me wrong. i'm not saying there is a religion or spirituality gene. religion and spirituality are cultural units called memes, that are passed down from generation to generation. all that was required genetically, were people who were smart enough, and therefore willing enough to work within a fixed system like a tribe, without setting off on their own out into the cold dark world. people who were smart enough (genetically) to work together. memes were then ready to transfer via a cultural framework.

and after time, no one questioned why there was belief without evidence. why? because it makes people feel good. it makes people feel safe. no one wants to think that there is no meaning to the universe outside of ourselves. no one wants to think that we are all alone with our problems, and that "bad" things happen to "good" people for no other reason than that nature is cold and blind and unconscious. and so people need religion in their lives, superficially speaking.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit