Triathletes? Anyone?

by Princess 29 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

On a more serious note, I think long distance exercise makes me heavier. It depends on your body type but if you go long distances and long times your body can hoard fat to prep for these hardcore exercise sessions. I have switched to doing a shorter workout of 20 minutes on the bike or treadmill. The first 30 seconds of every minute is go as fast and as hard as I can. The second half of the minute is at a slow leisurely pace. Then torque it up again. I have noticed I have dropped more weight this way. It's intense and it's only 20 minutes.

I agree exercise makes you feel "good" and it is worth it. To deal with the boring aspect of it I listen to books on tape or CD you can get at your local library while exercising. You'd be surprised how many books you can get through this way.

• Princess
    Princess

The gin and tonic comment cracked me up.

On a more serious note, I think long distance exercise makes me heavier. It depends on your body type but if you go long distances and long times your body can hoard fat to prep for these hardcore exercise sessions. I have switched to doing a shorter workout of 20 minutes on the bike or treadmill. The first 30 seconds of every minute is go as fast and as hard as I can. The second half of the minute is at a slow leisurely pace. Then torque it up again. I have noticed I have dropped more weight this way. It's intense and it's only 20 minutes.

You know your body. It's not uncommon for your body to hang on to fat but eventually...it has to let it go. However, the interval training you are doing is perfect. Keep it up.

I agree exercise makes you feel "good" and it is worth it. To deal with the boring aspect of it I listen to books on tape or CD you can get at your local library while exercising. You'd be surprised how many books you can get through this way.

Well, I do plug in my MP3 player if I'm at the gym or on a really long run. Otherwise, I'm quite content with my own thoughts. I don't see myself getting into books on tape though. I even had to quit listening to Tenacious D. They are funny and naughty as hell and I found myself bent over laughing too much. It was counterproductive and people were beginning to stare.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Mulan, I think you could keep up with EvilForce w/o even breathing heavy ;-)

• Mulan
    Mulan
    You are not a runner or a happy treadmill walker. You and dad always enjoyed your walks around Greenlake though and I've never understood why you stopped.

As I recall, it was bad weather, and caring for my parents needs. One Sunday we opted to not go, and the next week was the same, and we just never got back to it. We started enjoying lazy Sunday mornings, reading the paper, and drinking coffee, late breakfast, etc. I have been thinking about that though. We did enjoy it.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Princess, best of luck in your triathalon! A very impressive endevour to say the least.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I tried.. Once

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I love watching triathalons on tv...when I was a kid I always thought about trying. I used to be pretty good on the bike, but even though I did track in high school I was never a good runner. (It was the only sport you didn't have to try out for). Now, if they allowed water wings and other floatation devices, maybe someday I could just do it hahah.

I finally joined a gym again (went to the local city rec center..about a 20% the cost of 24 fitness)...anyhoo. I have only been a few times. I finally quit smoking about two weeks ago, and haven't felt up to doing much more than walking around the indoor track.

The last time I went, I took my 5 year daughter with me. She had designated herself my "trainer" and "coach". She walked ahead of me on the laps, and the last lap we took turns passing each other. Made it a lot more fun for me, and she makes me keep a brisk pace because per the rules she can never be more than an arms length away..and she is a fast little kid. I hope that this will encourage her to stay active.

Anyway...maybe by the time I am 40 I will be in enough shape to try one of those triathalons...I can be one of those peeps that just needs to finish, hahah....=)

I am in awe of you Princess...good luck!

=)

Billygoat,

You are so lucky your husband will walk with you. My guy is a good husband, but I think in 6 years of marriage I could only get him to go for a walk with me once. I tell him that is what I want for bday or xmas or valetines day....a few weeks of walks...but I never get it. Sigh.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Billygoat,

You are so lucky your husband will walk with you. My guy is a good husband, but I think in 6 years of marriage I could only get him to go for a walk with me once. I tell him that is what I want for bday or xmas or valetines day....a few weeks of walks...but I never get it. Sigh.

What's so funny, is that I asked him to do this with me when we first started dating. I just got a glare. LOL! Walking was not his "thing". If it wasn't volleyball or snow skiing, he doesn't exercise. You've seen him...he's skinny as a beanpole too. But this new job he's taken on several months ago is very high stress and he started having anxiety attacks. He's realized when he walks in the morning, that it lessens drastically. It's also a nice time for us to talk and share and not be interrupted by the tv or phone or pets, etc. When he realized the benefits of it, he was more apt to do it. Honestly, I think he's proud of himself, and that's a good motivator too.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I wont run even if being chased... water, well fish screw in it and it rusts pipes...and why ride a bike? Horses pedal themslves..........

~Hill

• troucul
    troucul

Right here, before I joined the army, shortly after I left the BORG, I did about 7 or 8 triathlons. I found strenuous exercise great therapy for my exit. The longest one I did was the Hyannis Sprint I in Cape Cod, MA. 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5 mile run. I did the Block Island Triathlon 4 consecutive years, 1/4 mile swim, 7 mile beach run, 8 mile bike. I also did a biathlon, 5 mile run, 20 mile bike in Rhode Island a few years back. I couldn't get a time on that one, though, because there was no support from police and a few people got hit by cars while on the bike portion. No joke. The race actually ended while I was on the bike portion. But there's nothing like crossing the finish line.

I did a couple marathons too, back in 98 and 99. Good stuff. One of those things, once you leave the borg, you realize that you haven't done shit in your life. Crossing the finish line of a long race quickly erases that. You get addicted though. I could go on forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit