Triathletes? Anyone?

by Princess 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I find myself from time to time burying me head down powering thru something and forgetting to enjoy the process. I think that's some left over Dub'isms. Knuckle down, paradise will be here shortly.

Oy - this is me. It's funny...you're the third person to say something like this in the last few days. A divine reminder perhaps?

• vitty
    vitty

I wish i had your energy, ive just realized after starting to exercise this week how terrible unfit I am. I know its going to be hard to keep motavated but ill just keep you )princess) in mind and im sure ill keep going

Oh and I hate swimming, i detest getting a wet swimsuit off yuck

• Mulan
    Mulan

I hate it (exercise). I don't know where she came from.

I joined a gym a couple of years ago, and hated every minute I was there. I was very good about going 2-3 times a week or more, doing treadmill, weights and yoga, for about 9 months and then I quit. I couldn't see taking that much time doing something I detested so much.

How can you get to where you enjoy it? I never got the adrenaline rush, or endorphins or whatever. I just felt tired and spent and sometimes I was literally sick and nauseous (after - or during yoga). I saw very little results, other than an increase in strength and maybe 5 pounds weight loss. It actually made me feel a bit like I did when I pioneered.....................as though I could be doing something better with my time.

Anyway, we are enormously proud of Rachel and her drive. She's always been goal oriented and determined...........very good qualities.

• Dustin
    Dustin

I'm trying to overcome my fear of water. The biking and running part would be fun. I don't know many people in my area that like to train with others. So I've always stuck with my running. But I would really like to try a triatholon one of these next couple of years.

• Princess
    Princess

Andi, I think you should stick with your 4 days a week for now. You've just started a new program and 4 days is excellent. When you are ready, add a day. A rest day every two or three days would be perfect. Think about strength training in the future though. It's important for women.

You've biked double 100's??? In one day?

Nope. There is a ride in Seattle called the STP (Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic). It's a one or two day, 206 mile ride from Seattle to Portland...thus the name. We ride from Seattle to my mother-in-law's house which is conveniently right on the route at mile 131. So we ride 131 miles the first day and 75 the second. It's killer. I'm getting an all women team together to train and ride next year. Maybe the next year I'll go for the one day ride. I'm pretty sure with the right training that I could do it. I usually don't have time to train properly for STP though and go into it only having ridden 70 miles as my longest ride. I'm dying by the time I reach the finish.

I joined a gym a couple of years ago, and hated every minute I was there. I was very good about going 2-3 times a week or more, doing treadmill, weights and yoga, for about 9 months and then I quit. I couldn't see taking that much time doing something I detested so much.

You were on such a role. If you really detested it, it wasn't going to last. I don't know what to say about that.

How can you get to where you enjoy it? I never got the adrenaline rush, or endorphins or whatever. I just felt tired and spent and sometimes I was literally sick and nauseous (after - or during yoga). I saw very little results, other than an increase in strength and maybe 5 pounds weight loss. It actually made me feel a bit like I did when I pioneered.....................as though I could be doing something better with my time.

For me, it's how I feel after that keeps me going. There are days where it's really hard to tie on the shoes and run out the door. The feeling is gone as soon as I hit the road. I can feel the metabolism boost for a long time afterward and always feel much better on the days I workout than my rest days. You didn't enjoy what you were doing, you need to find something you enjoy. You will never LOVE yoga, mostly because of the horrible instructor at the gym. You are not a runner or a happy treadmill walker. You and dad always enjoyed your walks around Greenlake though and I've never understood why you stopped. If you don't want to walk Greenlake, try walking down Olympic View to Portofino's and back. It's such a pretty walk and you can stop at the viewpoint (briefly) and then move on.

If you don't find something you enjoy, chances are you won't stick with it. You may never get a rush or endorphins, but you will enjoy the company and the positive effects on your body. You will find your diet will be more successful and you'll sleep better. ALSO, you won't find something better to do with your time. There is nothing better than investing time and effort into your own well being.

Speech over.

• chrissy
    chrissy

Princess,

Wow, swimming ML? I'm totally inspired and impressed. I'm always seeing swimmers as I pass by there, but wonder is it safe if you are not a real strong swimmer?

Maybe I will walk up to Martha Lake Friday and cheer you on!!! What time are you going to be out?

Chrissy

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've always loved watching triathalons, but don't see myself ever doing one. Like Dustin, I have a fear of water (immense) and cannot swim, either. So I live vicariously through people like you, Princess!

I used to jog a couple times a week and loved how I felt overall. I would like to start again...and thanks to all who wrote advice on the running thread. Now I know where to begin.

Back to triathalons-

Good luck on yours!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Marilyn,

I will have to second what Princess said here:

If you don't find something you enjoy, chances are you won't stick with it. You may never get a rush or endorphins, but you will enjoy the company and the positive effects on your body.

Mozz and I don't always WANT to crawl out of bed to walk, but we always have such a fun time talking. We're both groggy and sleepy and it's prime time to tease each other about bedhead and tukus breath. It's really a nice way to wake up...private time conversing with your best friend!

Andi

• Princess
    Princess
    Maybe I will walk up to Martha Lake Friday and cheer you on!!! What time are you going to be out?

Not sure yet, probably mid morning or early afternoon. I'll PM you and let you know. Perfect time to meet, nice raccoon eyes from my goggles and a glorious yellow swim cap. Mmmmm....pretty....

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I used to run. But I kept spilling my gin and tonic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit