What a pretty summer so far!

by Bendrr 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I don't know how the weather is everywhere else, but here in Dixie, it's been the first bearable summer in as long as I can remember.
    It seems as though Mother Nature took a rest this year, worn out from her years of relentlessly bombarding us with intense heat. For so long, it seemed as though the spring and summer months, even October, would bring an onslaught of 100+ degree temperatures with record high humidity and only enough rain to turn our evenings into saunas.
    Then this year came. So far, the temperature has topped out in the very low 90's and the humidity just hasn't had the enthusiasm of years past. Every day has brought constant light winds. Even in July, usually our hottest month of the year, we've had many days that never got out of the upper 80's.
    I could be pessimistic and tell you that means us unprepared Southerners are probably in for a brutal winter, but I'm just going to enjoy this little blessing for now.
    Y'all have a good night.
    mike.

"Well done, Blind Squirrel! You've found an impressive nut!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bendrr,

I'm glad someone somewhere had a nice summer. Here in Minnesota we've had oppressive heat and humidity, and it's not going away until later this week. Even today the "heat index" was 100 degrees even as far north as the Canadien border. Last week, we lost a pro football player to heat stroke.

Things all balance out, I guess. It was our turn to suffer. Maybe we'll have a "warm" winter.

GopherEven if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    Will Rogers (1879-1935)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Stop moaning guys. We'd kill for a summer like that. It usually chucks it down all the time here in England, although this year its not been too bad. Hearing you moan about it being too hot wont get any sympathy from us Brits. Its enough to make Englishman use the F-word. oops sorry wrong thread!! Thats another quid he's won!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Pubsinger:

According to my family, it was 32C in good old Blighty last week! What's going on over there?

As Gopher pointed out, here in the great white north it's been pretty gonad melting. Who'd of thought it. Sweating me goolies off in Canada!

Expatbrit

• Francois
    Francois

Well, Bendrr, you're in the south too? Would you like to say where 'bouts? I live in Savannah, GA. And you know what? We're about to get a large dose of Barry. Remember when the remains of Hurricane Opal stalled out over Macon back in '94 and we all almost drowned? Well, it looks like Barry is going to come ashore round the AL/GA line and then go inland for a ways. Then that front coming down here from IL will doubtless push it back south right on top of our little punkin' heads. And it will rain like unto a cow pissing on a flat rock. Watcha think?

Francois

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi Expatbrit!

Yeah it has been exceptionally hot here for a change, but we can't cope with folk moaning about it being too hot when we spend most of the time freezing our knackers off.

Meanwhile some things never change. The Aussies have just beaten us at cricket again and won the Ashes with two tests to spare. And before any Aussies on-line start complaining about it being too hot down under..... go away, we're not interested!!!

• Richie
    Richie

It's hot and dry here in Montreal - the water levels in the lakes and rivers are dangerously low - Other than that, I am enjoying the summer to the full not really looking forward to the winter -

Take care
    Richie :*)

You are the music as long as the music last...............

• Mulan
    Mulan

I hate to tell you all this, but in the Pacific Northwest, we are having a GLORIOUS summer. It has been between 70 and 80 for months, and very little rain. Very green, and lots of blue sky. We love it.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Er Pubsinger, you won't get us complaining about the heat; it's been the most consistently cold and annoying winter I remember! It'd freeze the walls off a grass humpy, so to speak. I can't wait till the equinox...

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Bendrr & Francoise,

I'm near Columbia, SC - and it's hovering near 90 degrees for about 3 weeks - pretty nice except for the humidity. Usually around 97 or so and rising this time of year.

I could be pessimistic and tell you that means us unprepared Southerners are probably in for a brutal winter, but I'm just going to enjoy this little blessing for now.

Spoken like a true southerner.

"Great day today!" "Yeah, but we'll pay for it next winter."

"Not so hot today!" "Yeah, but the humidity is a killer."

"Humidity is down today!" "Yeah, but the mosquitos are wretched."

Southerners complain about the weather a lot. I'm from Indiana - we welcomed a day of sunshine - it could be soooooo rare! Of course, we complained the rest of the time.

Hey Francoise

I've tried to talk with you about your book for about a week now - would you by chance be ignoring me?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit