What songs stand the test of time?

by JV 56 Replies latest jw friends

• The rock
    The rock

Auld lang Syne

Was written by a Scottish poet called Robert Burns who came from Ayrshire. He was a bit of a ladies man. There was two different verisons if you can understand them in the Scottish dialect.

Robert Burns
    (1759-1796)

Auld Lang Syne (written in 1788, first published in 1796)

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, Old And never brought to min'? Brought to mind Should auld aqcuaintance be forgot, And days o' lang syne? Of long ago (literally: old long gone) Chorus For auld lang syne, my dear, For auld lang syne, We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, For auld lang syne. We twa hae run about the braes, We two have run about the slopes And pu'd the gowans fine, And pulled the daisies fine But we've wandered mony a weary foot, Many Sin' auld lang syne. Since long ago We twa hae paidled i' the burn, We two have paddled in the stream From morning sun till dine, Until noon (dinner) But seas between us braid hae roared Broad have roared Sin' auld lang syne And there's a hand, my trusty fiere, Friend And gie's a hand o' thine; Give us a hand of thine And we'll tak a right gude-willie waught, A very hearty drink For auld lang syne And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp, You'll pay for your pint cup And surely I'll be mine; And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, For auld lang syne. 

Burns once declared the following version to be the best.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And never brought to mind? Should auld aqcuaintance be forgot, And days o' lang syne? For auld lang syne, my jo, Sweetheart For auld lang syne, We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, For auld lang syne. And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp And surely I'll be mine, And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, For auld lang syne. We twa hae run about the braes, And pou'd the gowans fine; But we've wander'd mony a weary fit, Many a weary foot Sin' auld lang syne. We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn Frae morning sun till dine; From morning sun until noon (dinner) But seas between us braid hae roar'd Broad have roared Sin' auld lang syne And there's a hand, my trusty fiere, And gie's a hand o' thine; And we'll tak a right gude-willie waught, Drink of good will For auld lang syne R o bert Burns - Auld Lang Syne  on this site it gives you a bit of the History if anyone is interested.

He also wrote some very romantic songs like my love is like a red red rose that's newly spring in June, it seemed to work on the ladies.
    He was an Ayrshire lad and wrote poems and songs about Ayr '' the brig of Ayr''. He also wrote the poem Tam o' shanter which is about the auld kirk of Ayr and all the ghosties. Its still there today as is his house in Aloway.
     A few lines he wrote one poem. '' For all that and all that a man's a man for all that. one day the world over shall brothers be for all that. Ayr was the town known for honest men and bonnie lassies.Here ends the history lesson hope someone finds it interesting

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

As far as modern songs go...

Unchained Melody is one of my favorites. Also love Amazing Grace, if only it were true...

J

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Evidence-Faith No More

Transdermal Celebration- Ween

Walk on the Wild Side-Lou Reed

Anything by the Ramones or The Clash

I think Beck has the ability to make songs sound timeless too.

• gwyneth
    gwyneth
    And my all-time favorite: Rocky Raccoon...the Beatles

OMG! I loved this song growing up. I loved that whole side of the White Album. I memorized just about every word on it. Isn't "Piggies" right before (or right after) "Rocky Racoon?" I wanted to name my first daughter "Prudence" because I loved "Dear Prudence," but my husband, who was tormented as a child for his unusual first name, adamantly refused, because of the nicknames it would generate.

Anyway, obviously, any Nirvana song ("School" and "Breed" are my favorites)

I was listening to a zillion Howard Jones songs last night; they're still awesome. Happy and bubbly and exuberant. I bopped along on the inflated therapy ball that I use as a chair in front of my computer.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Oh, there are so many.

Anything by Guns N Roses, or Bob Marley and I love Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd too, but really, the list could be endless.

• Preston
    Preston

A lot of Phil Spector's music sounds surprisingly fresh...

Most notably...

River Deep, Mountain High by Ike and Tina Turner

Be My Baby and Walking in the Rain by the Ronettes

And then he kissed me by the Crystals

- Preston

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Firm and deter-mined in this time of the end ..........

Rub a Dub

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

dont mean to be pedantic here

but how can anything that has been released in the last couple of years...coldplay.. scissor sisters..kaiser chiefs..be said to have past the test of time

they may be classic songs...well except for scissor sisters and kaiser cheifs (sorry crumpet) but they are not yet proven long runners

sledgehammer..peter gabriel..on the other hand..(still the most played on mtv?)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

What Can I Say? Boz Skaggs

Song For You Faraway James Taylor

Something So Right Paul Simon

In My Life Beatles

Lovesong The Cure

Hurdy Gurdy Man Donovan

No Thugs In Our house XTC

Is It Like Today World Party

The Plooby Laddies Tannehill Weavers

Coyote Joni Mitchell

Watch You Step Elvis Costello

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go Dylan

298 old songbook (just kidding)

Hey! I think I'll burn one of these for the car, thanks!

W.Once

• upside/down
    upside/down

What happened to this thread?

It wasn't what songs do you like...but...well you can read it.

I haven't even heard of most of the songs listed...c'mon guys...stop being "cool" or "pc" and answer the question...

Otherwise I would have said the cool, pc...answer that everyone knows and agrees on...

Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin

u/d (of the Bawitaba class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit