Away from the "Core" - Subversion at the Convention

by ezekiel3 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Last year I thought I would share my diligent notes and show what it was like at the core of the organization.

Not this year. For a learning experience, I decided to stray from the active ones and see what everyone else was doing during this convention. Perhaps this would be special since the whole theme of the DC was "Godly Obedience". Yeah right...

First thing, depositing my protest check was no problem. First time I'd been at the contribution box in long while. I highly recommend lodging your protest this way at all assemblies and conventions. Print, fold and drop it in the box.

Friday starts everyone fresh, but an occasional stroll noted some already prowling the parking lots/corridors and many arriving to the site at their leisure. A regular contingent left the site during lunch, violating the "pack your lunch law". This crowd increased on following days.

Saturday the heat was on and many were visibly asleep in their seats. The aisles where packed with some standing and watching, others just making continual loops while the program dragged on. A casual tour of parking lot was surreal. The convention site radio broadcast (for hearing impaired) was echoing through the lot from parked cars. I estimate about 100 people (not including the handicapped parking) were lounging through the program this way.

During lunch, the savvy moved theirs cars from near the convention building to parking spaces close to the exit. Not a bad strategy, but harding self-sacrificing.

Picked an afternoon seat in the nose-bleed section. This is a section that was roped off early that morning, but overrun in mass revolt. Once the yellow DO NOT CROSS line was broken, it quickly became a refuge for the anti-social and fringe-JWs. I was pleased to see two young men either text-messaging or playing games on their cell-phones. Another bored wife tapping away at Tetris on her husband's PDA. Only about 75% clapping in this section. Priceless look on the attendant's face when he came up to do the count.

The mad rush for the new release is still very much a tradition. I posted myself at the lobby before the concluding song where I could see two distribution points. The release talk explains there are enough for each person to get two books (What Does the Bible Really Teach). No shortage here. Just before the song some attendants begin setting up to hand out the books. During the song a few vultures trickled in. I bow my head for the prayer. When I look up there are two lines formed out of my sight. This happened during the prayer! So much for reverence.

By this time I got the impression that the program was not resonating with the delegates. Even the active-JWs were numbing to the constant repetition. "How do you like the program?", I'd ask the do-gooders. "Oh, it very good", "This is just what we need right now", etc, but never any specifics. The only talk I got comments on was the "inactive" talk, "Return to the Shepherd of Your Souls". From inside the bubble, this might seem like a caring talk that explains why people are leaving in droves. Working overtime and materialism was the main reasons given. This talk only goes to show how out of touch the WTS is.

Had a great time at dinner Saturday night. I made sure to dress casual without a badge myself. I was amazed at how many JWs (still in formal dress) had removed their badges for dinner. Can't blame them. I was also highly amused to see other JW hotties in casual dress (low-risers and bellies showing) WITH their badges on. Now there's a witness.

Had the idea to prank-call other rooms in the hotel at 9:00PM to ask "This is Brooklyn. Do you still have your badge on?!"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Had the idea to prank-call other rooms in the hotel at 9:00PM to ask "This is Brooklyn. Do you still have your badge on?!"

LMAO! That is too funny!

• luna2
    luna2

ezekiel, very interesting report. I can't believe how much of a goody two shoes I was. I never walked around during the talks (or let my kids do so), I never moved towards the literature tables before the prayer was over, I never went out to lunch, and it never occurred to me to sit in my car and listen to the radio (I think if I had been brave enough to go to the car mid-program, I would have just left). So much for the convention theme of OBEY YOU PEONS!

LMAO on the prank call idea. That would have been funny!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

A regular contingent left the site during lunch, violating the "pack your lunch law". This crowd increased on following days.

During the song a few vultures trickled in. I bow my head for the prayer. When I look up there are two lines formed out of my sight. This happened during the prayer! So much for reverence.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

My dear little sheep friend,

I more than enjoyed your views and wrap-up of the DC! I found it hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

• out of the box
    out of the box

Thanks for sharing! We drove to a convention in Dallas, Texas from Mass. 26 years ago. We had rented a brand new Winnebego Itaska that we shared with another JW family. There were 5 kids and 4 adults in a camper that slept 8. We were so uncomfortable in the seats and crowding that we ended up in the camper in our shorts listening to the radio. The radio was clear, inside we heard so much reverberation and echo that I didn't understand 1/2 of what was being said! In the camper, we laid down and relaxed and snacked while listening. It was too much trouble to keep getting up with the little ones to go to the bathroom and back. In the camper the kids slept and we could relax enough to listen. And the literature, they were out by the time we got up to the where the books were distributed. We finally got one copy from someone back home when the cong ordered theirs and sold it in the bookstore.

And we moved to the end of the parking lot towards the end, and we did drive off early. That brand new Winnebego could not hold the A/C well in that 110 degree heat of July and it kept breaking down, so we had to miss some of the convention to wait for repairs. It was quite a 4 week trip we took!

out of the box

• Honesty
    Honesty

Thanks for the laugh!!!

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Great review ...thanks for posting. Gives me hope that more and more are getting bored with the borg. The fake-filled derelict slave drivers are losing their grip on the R&F. They think it's because of materialism/work/education - NO - people are tired of being pressured to conform to a life of servitude to the WTBTS. If they'd loosen their grip they could hold on to more new converts and keep the lifers happy at the same time. Sad that power and control take priority over human interest.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Although I didn't go to the assembly this year, I had a breif flashback. Our assembly was held a month ago. About two weeks ago, my wife and daughter went to see Black Eyed Peas at the same venue. Now, the convention packs in around 5,000 people, and traffic is a mess. It takes forever to get out. Well, Black Eyed Peas managed to put 14,000 into the arena. My wife said it took her only 6 minutes to get from her parking spot to the highway. There were no parking attendants, and all the worldly people were courteous and took turns leaving. I bet we'll never hear that experience at the DC.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Ezekiel - one of the best DC reviews I've ever read! Resplendant!!! (oops, sorry, gringojj strikes again)

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    There were no parking attendants, and all the worldly people were courteous and took turns leaving.

Hehe. Yeah, the JW "spiritual paradise" only exists if you don't compare it to the outside world.

During the Saturday closing prayer, the brother actually mentioned the 'heat and traffic' in the context of maintaining 'a good witness'. There's nothing more entertaining then seeing a JW stopped by the police outside the convention center.

I've "witnessed" that many a time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit