Forget the 10 Commandments Follow the book of Tao instead....

by EvilForce 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

No doubt so called Christians did carry out a lot of agressive wars but that's not the christian religion that inspired it. There may well be Taoists or Buddists that did similar things or commited other injustices.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Green...would that be all the religious leaders that instructed their flock that if they didnt' vote for Georgie W they would be bloodguilty or kicked out of the church.

Search on "Taoist Wars" or "Buddhist Wars" and you might have your answers regarding which religion is more violent ;)

• Satanus
    Satanus

In the taiping rebellion, the rebels were christian. Was the govt basically buddhist at that time?

S

• bisous
    bisous

I liked Buddha for Beginners

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0863161863/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-7190999-3693520#reader-page

and Tao of Pooh as well ... great quotes:

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast? said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
    "It's the same thing," he said.

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
    "Yes,"said Piglet, "Rabit's clever."
    "And he has Brain."
    "Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
    There was a long silence.
    "I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

Random unrelated thought: EF-You sure have a lot of posts in a short time here!

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The ruling class was basically a corrupt, impotent, inept monarchy government that allowed the Taiping Rebellion to form. The Taiping Rebellion marked the emergence of China as a country among other countries, rather than the only nation under Heaven. "To the Taipings, the Ch'ing dynasty was a challenge to be met and overthrown. The Manchus were "demons fighting against the true God"". (From The Search for Modern Day China page 172)

The Taipings were hybrid Christians fighting against the govt. to overthrow it.

Satanus...hope this helps....but this specific rebellion and it's ramifications probably merit a semester study at university as the implications are so vast and complicated.

• anewme
    anewme

Interesting. I began reading books on Zen Bhuddism a month ago. I liked the reasonableness of letting go of erroneous thinking and looking at the world as it is and forming opinions and beliefs from what I as an intelligent human being observe. Where is it written on the back of a leaf I must do this or that? Where is written in the sky? My own human heart is my guide as sure as the birds know which way to fly and water knows which way to flow.
    But I am cautious about becoming enamoured or charmed by any human group anymore.
    I see the robes of the Zen monks. Robes and colors means ranks. Ranks equates levels of classes among the monks. Teacher/protoge Master/servant. Where are the women? What part do they play? Its the same thing over and over with all these manmade religions.

All the creatures of the field believe in God, yet they do not organize for worship.
    Its a personal thing with each creature.
    Your worship is private. Its your heart's song you enjoy giving to your creator.
    Each creature is a self correcting entity.

I am trying to see everything logically and calmly these days.

Let no one attempt to noose me with an enslaving ideology!
    I will bound away as fast as a deer and disappear into the landscape like a wild mountain lion.

I am free now and forever!

• Daunt
    Daunt

Buddha's words are pretty much a way to look inside yourself for answers. No doctrine and stuff like that. Don't even have to talk to another buddhist to really get what he's saying.

• poppers
    poppers

"However simplicity is not always easy to understand to achieve."

That's right - when you try to understand it simplicity gets complicated, complicated by the mind. I would suggest letting go of any need to understand it - why complicate it? Your very nature is what cannot be further simplified, but that nature gets 'covered up' by the machinations of the mind, by its near compulsive need to understand everything. There is no need to 'achieve' it because you already are it, though that may yet to be recognized.

When you see this need to 'know' arise and you recognize it a just another need of the mind/ego the possibility presents itself to not latch on to this need. The simplicity of what you are then becomes more apparent. Relax into the simlicity that you are by remaining present with what is, without the labels and judgments of ego/mind to complicate and distort what is.

• poppers
    poppers

Good for you, Anewme. If you want a fresh perspective on this I would suggest you read Adyashanti, a westerner who practiced Zen for 15 years. His writing is devoid of all jargon and ideology. He has some articles and sound files on his website.

http://www.adyashanti.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit